Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to buy a new car.....

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
mini-van

We, my wife and I, just bought a Toyota mini-van. We were trying not to get one but with a kid on the way we figured we would just bite the bullet and get one. I tried to get her to buy a classic Mustang or even an old Buick but in the end decided aginst it, no matter how classy an old car looks I think it's more likely to leave you on the side of the road just cause things are more worn. The day after we got it she was feeling kinda Soccer-Momish so she ordered some Social Distortion stickers and stuck one on the back window. Soccer Moms don't listen to Social D. Do they???

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boy, suggesting cars is always suicide to others. You need to assess what your requirements are in order. Is fuel economy #1 and comfort #2, does price weigh heavily, resale? etc- you get it.

Personally for me only I'd probably go for a Deville or Seville because my top requirements are luxury and power. I spent many, many miles and years in economy stuff to pay my dues. I want comfort and effortless power for the highway with cruise control, all power accessories, A/C, great radio and CD. We drive like 3,000 miles a year around town so gas is not a critical factor.

BTW unless you drive a lot hybrids' extra expense will never be met in operation. A Corolla vs. a Prius works out to the neeed to drive 66,000 miles a year for 5 years or gas costing $10 a gallon for you to get ahead. Same with any hybrid vs. standard equivilant vehicle. If you wanna feel green fine but don't plan on economy.
59chevy_e0.gif

KilroyCD

One Too Many
There are a lot of cars that I would love to have, but if I was to look at things realistically, there's one out now that fits the bill nearly perfectly. First, I'm economy minded. Both of my current cars get 30 miles plus to the gallon, but both are aging. One I will not get rid of, as it's only got three more years to go before it qualifies for "Classic" tags here in PA. Plus it has sporty looks and regularly gets over 33 miles per gallon. That's my '96 Ford Probe SE. But I digress. We're talking about new(er) cars here, aren't we? I'm thinking of the Chevy HHR Panel. Great for hauling around my vintage bikes, yet has retro styling. Also gets good mileage. I don't need much more.
HHR_Panel.jpg

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
How about a Yugo? The "cutting edge of Serbo-Croation technology". Oh, but you probably want a car that runs, and doesn't rust through the floorboards.....never mind :D lol :D

RIOT

Practically Family
A 349 kW/475 bhp – 4.4 V8 – Java Black Metallic Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

That is if I had the money for it right now. But I don't so back to taking the MTA

Rooster

Practically Family
Ford F250 standard cab with a 4 speed and 4X4 and long bed. If I could afford one, I could afford the gas too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24