Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll be sorry I asked but...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I pierced my left ear when I was 18 and wanted to be a rock guitarist way back in 1985! I kept it for about a year, then never wore it again. I am sure it was some sort of rebellion thing.

To this day, there is still a hole and I sincerely wish it wasn't there. However, I would rather regret the things I've done rather than those I didn't do, as the adage goes.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
As for no professionals having facial piercing, I know many Art Directors, Graphic Designers, Illustrators, Photographers, Animators, Web Designers, Producers, Directors, etc. that would disagree with you.

Actually, you're right on there, J.M. In the Arts, there is - and always has been - a much wider range of "professional" attire and accoutrement. I've worked in video production and radio, and I understand that.

But I think we would agree that there aren't many doctors, lawyers, retail store owners and managers, insurance agents, car salesmen, etc. that have much in the way of facial piercings. For most professions, that's something that comes out when people graduate from college.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
Actually, you're right on there, J.M. In the Arts, there is - and always has been - a much wider range of "professional" attire and accoutrement. I've worked in video production and radio, and I understand that.

But I think we would agree that there aren't many doctors, lawyers, retail store owners and managers, insurance agents, car salesmen, etc. that have much in the way of facial piercings. For most professions, that's something that comes out when people graduate from college.

Would you buy a used car from this man? ;)
030505v.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm quite surprised to hear of people still having holes from old piercings; every time I removed one of mine the hole had closed up by the following morning. In fact, when I took them all out (they were more numerous at the time) for some filming one afternoon I had trouble getting some of them back in!

PS: Arrrr!

ortega76

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
I don't have any, and they don't bother me in the least.

As for no professionals having facial piercing, I know many Art Directors, Graphic Designers, Illustrators, Photographers, Animators, Web Designers, Producers, Directors, etc. that would disagree with you.

I second that. My wife is an Office Manager for a local IT company and she has a small stud in her nose. Her boss has never even mentioned it and she only gets compliments on it.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Negatory!!!

I've survived five decades without any piercings or tatoos. My dad was very old school - tats and rings are for drunken sailors, not gentlemen! I have to admit my respect level declines somewhat when I see a man who caves under peer pressure to follow the 'trend' to body piercings and tatoos. That goes for skin heads too, since I'm ranting! I can't wait til the tide turns!!

-dixon "judgemental" cannon

ortega76

Practically Family
I have to say, I am rather surprised at the general hostility some Lounge members have towards those with tattoos and piercings. Not that I am taking it personally. I guess I've always thought that if I get some guff about wearing a fedora, I'm going to try to be cool about the personal expression choices of others. On the other hand, I'm tattoed, pierced and fedora-donning.

It's funny, but since my wife and I are both tattoed and pierced, my stepson doesn't look at tattoos as anything unusual. He draws on himself regularly. He loves the heart with his name that my wife had inked on her leg a year ago.

There are tattoos that I would never get and would be hard pressed to find "cool". No band logos or wizards for me. My tattoos are fairly personal (e.g. the Our Lady of Guadalupe on my ribs is a memorial for my grandmother or I have my wife's name on my shoulder) or at least mark a special moment in my life. I have few visible tattoos but that's changing. It will always be covered by a dress shirt and slacks but it will still be there.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
my boyfriend has plugs and they actually suit him very well. i was actually really skeptical that it would look good with him (since so many people look terrible with them), but they work so well with his ears that you barely even notice them.

regular earrings on guys though? not a fan myself, but i dont particularly care what others do with themselves.

ortega76 (sorry i dont know your name!), i hear you on the tattoo thing. i dont have any tattoos yet, but i have always loved them and hope to get some in the future. my father has tattoos and im an artist so ive loved tattoos since i was a little kid.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Last week when registering my oldest daughter for high school I got to look at lots of facial piercings. I normally don't see that unless I go to Tower Records or someplace like that. I think it looks disgusting to have any part of your face pierced. Being in the dental field I just cringe when I see a tongue or lips pierced.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Doc" Devereux]I'm quite surprised to hear of people still having holes from old piercings; every time I removed one of mine the hole had closed up by the following morning. In fact said:
PS: Arrrr![/SIZE]
wow, you're a quick healer then! It takes about a week of not wearing any earings in my ear for me to have to 'repierce' myself :(
In the 80's, I thought the earing in one ear on a guy was extremely sexy. Now it looks sort of like a sissy type of thing. Any other type of piercing is just gross and very distracting. My brother has multiple piercings, but the one that I think bothered me the most was when he pierced his tongue. He couldn't even talk right. Fortunately, his tongue got infected so no more stud. :eusa_clap

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Not for me, but not uncommon where I work in academia. However, the younger faculty tend not to have them. They are more common among the boomer-aged faculty. I can't make any assumption regarding why this is.

ortega76

Practically Family
Zohar said:
Not for me, but not uncommon where I work in academia. However, the younger faculty tend not to have them. They are more common among the boomer-aged faculty. I can't make any assumption regarding why this is.

A lot of times if you see older, established professionals tattooed and not a lot of younger ones the missing factor is cash. A full sleeve can run you about $2-4K for work by a top-notch artist. I live in a college town so tattoos are common on anyone from a University professor to cops to students. The big indicator is that folks with cash tend to get bigger pieces as opposed to the student who may get just a single piece on his arm or a "tramp stamp" or something.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think a lot of the time (in my age group at any rate) dressing vintage stems from previously being "alternative" (punk, metal, goth). I used to have tons, and still have some and stretched ears. My boyfriend has slightly stretched ears, and they look cute - they aren't so big as to be grotesque. But then he is very rockabilly so it goes with the "look" I guess.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
ortega76 said:
A lot of times if you see older, established professionals tattooed and not a lot of younger ones the missing factor is cash. A full sleeve can run you about $2-4K for work by a top-notch artist. I live in a college town so tattoos are common on anyone from a University professor to cops to students. The big indicator is that folks with cash tend to get bigger pieces as opposed to the student who may get just a single piece on his arm or a "tramp stamp" or something.

You know you're going to have to define "tramp stamp" for our less informed readers. ;)

Caledonia

Practically Family
A guy with earrings, no problem, although I'd rather he looked like Captain Jack Sparrow around the earrings! ;) I'm not generally into multiple piercings, but it's just a preference for what I like to look at. If you want them, wear them.

On the back of this, I just went and tried out a pair of pierced earrings. They went through no problem, and I haven't worn my ears pierced in probably 10 or 12 years.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
ortega76 said:

I was talking about earrings, but your suggestion regarding tattoos applies as well. I had no idea they are so expensive!

Naama

Practically Family
DancingSweetie said:
Last week when registering my oldest daughter for high school I got to look at lots of facial piercings. I normally don't see that unless I go to Tower Records or someplace like that. I think it looks disgusting to have any part of your face pierced. Being in the dental field I just cringe when I see a tongue or lips pierced.

Ok, so I guess you'll find me disgusting.... Nice to hear ;)

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart