Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll be sorry I asked but...

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Matthew Dalton said:
I believe a "tramp stamp" is a tattoo on a girl on her lower-back. Named as such because the girls who get them are often seen as promiscuous.

*hehe* in Germany we call it "Arschgeweih" that would be Ass antlers in english. I don´t like those, but earings are ok with me as long they aren´t like huuuuuuuuge like those black plastic things that make big holes in your ears. I find those confusing. Rings are way better.

Rosie

One Too Many
It doesn't bother me at all if a man chooses to wear an earring. Who cares.

Until about 4 years ago, I wore two eyebrow rings, three tongue piercings, and 10 earrings in each ear. I also have tattoos, I had all of these things by the time I was 20. I've been working in a professional setting since I was 21 and wore these while I was working (I didn't wear them to the interview though). I've never been told or asked to remove anything from my body. Would I buy a car from the previously pictured man? Of course, if the car was in good shape and he offered me a dcent price, why wouldn't I? To say one would not do business with another BASED SOLELY ON THE WAY THE PERSON LOOKS is skating on the icy slope of ignorance. I've seen many shop keepers who had tattoos or piercings, does it mean they do not provide a valuable service? No, of course not! Just because you personlly do not approve of or may not like what someone is doing or wearing doesn't really give you the right to judge that person. It's silly to say someone must only be a barista or work in a tattoo parlor because of their body art. I know plenty of "professional" folk who have plenty of body "accents".

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Old and easily amazed too

The first time I saw a dramatic piercing was a bartender who waited on me once in a trendy watering hole who had a safety pin through is chin and couldn't enuniciate clearly for all of the piercings in his tongue and lips. It was fairly disgusting to look at but I thought, well, it's his body, etc.

I'm afraid piercings and tattoos leave me with an overall negative impression -some sort of innate slight prejudice but it's not much different from the feeling I get when I see someone walking around with a shirt that says "Abercrombie & Fitch" in big bold letters. I'm just not trendy but everyone else is entitled to do as they please. [I do secretly wonder what some of these tattoos are going to look like when these people are sitting in their wheel chairs in the nursing home in about 60 years, though. "Bruiser" is likely to shrivel into just "Bus"]

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
It is unfortunate, but a fact of life - our first impression of someone is based on how they look. Once you get to know someone things can change.

BigDuke634

New in Town
Even when I was in the Marines, I never wanted a tattoo. The money I would have used on the ink would have taken away from my drinking. As far as piercings, that was always a no no in the Corps. I was duty NCO one night and the Officer of the Day came into my office pulling a young private who he had just caught wearing a set of earrings. Needless the say, the young private got into trouble. I just don't see myself sitting in a chair, waiting for someone to poke me with a needle. I guess I would have made a terrible junkie.

Haversack

One Too Many
Its always been my impression that the only body piercing the Marines went in for involved the use of a bayonet.

Haversack.
"d?©jeuner ?† Rosalie"

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haversack said:
Its always been my impression that the only body piercing the Marines went in for involved the use of a bayonet.

Haversack.
"déjeuner à Rosalie"

We tend to like us some tattoos though. :)

Mine is just a Recon Jack on my calf. Only visible when I'm wearing shorts and there's nowhere I'd wear shorts to that a tattoo wouldn't be appropriate, especially one with a big skull. :rolleyes:

The guys who get "US Marines" tattoo'd on their forearm so it is readable while saluting are showing their Gung-iness but even that can be covered by a dress shirt as needed.

I think the old military regs are a good guideline for any body adornment outside "norms". Nothing below the wrist or above the neck. Let's you show your individuality when you want to but blend in the rest of the time.

jazzbass

Familiar Face
Rosie said:
It doesn't bother me at all if a man chooses to wear an earring. Who cares.

Until about 4 years ago, I wore two eyebrow rings, three tongue piercings, and 10 earrings in each ear. I also have tattoos, I had all of these things by the time I was 20. I've been working in a professional setting since I was 21 and wore these while I was working (I didn't wear them to the interview though). I've never been told or asked to remove anything from my body. Would I buy a car from the previously pictured man? Of course, if the car was in good shape and he offered me a dcent price, why wouldn't I? To say one would not do business with another BASED SOLELY ON THE WAY THE PERSON LOOKS is skating on the icy slope of ignorance. I've seen many shop keepers who had tattoos or piercings, does it mean they do not provide a valuable service? No, of course not! Just because you personlly do not approve of or may not like what someone is doing or wearing doesn't really give you the right to judge that person. It's silly to say someone must only be a barista or work in a tattoo parlor because of their body art. I know plenty of "professional" folk who have plenty of body "accents".

Very well written and all true.

jazzbass

carebear

jazzbass said:
I'm trying very hard (and failing) to wrap my mind around that one....

Jazzbass

There are times and places where "expressing yourself" is self-indulgent and inappropriate. Maturity and courtesy often demand that one voluntarily conform to others standards and wishes and that can include appearance.

For example, grandma loves you but dislikes tattoos and piercings. You could self-righteously insist that she change her view or "deal with it" and show up with everything showing OR you can decide to be courteous and respectful of her (insert generically "others') wishes and cover up/remove as much as is practical.

There is a difference between having the "right" to do something and forcing your exercise of that right on other people at all times and places, especially when you do something you knew, going in, had social repercussions.

jake431

Practically Family
carebear said:
...But to create additional probable roadblocks to many future avenues of success and lines of endeavor just because it's trendy? [huh]

I object to the notion that people get tattoos "just because" it's trendy. Sure, some people do - those tattoos are usually small, somewhere on the ankle or hip , and there is an inevitable story ("I was drunk" "I was out with my friends" etc) to go with it. But tattoos, while trendy, do also serve a function to the bearer of them - they may remind them of something, they may simply like the way it looks, they may have commisioned a prominent tattoo artist to create a unique design for them - the reasons are endless, and it can't be boiled down to trends alone.

We'd all do well to remember that many of the vintage fashions we now call classic started as foolish trends when they first appeared - flappers, zoot suits, pompadours, etc.

Also, it was posted above that such adornment is not "natural" - well, what is natural? If you shower and apply deoderant, that is not natural. If you comb your hair, use product, or dye it, well, that's not natural - it's been modified from it's natural state, and Gasp!, people are forced to deal with your body modifications! Shoes with heels make you taller than you are; not natural. To call adornment by tattoo or piercing unnatural is an easy out - it says, more than anything, that you are uncomfortable with how someone else looks. I will admit, there does come a point with tattoos, or other body modification where it becomes apparent that how you are modifying yourself has more to do with a sense of self-alienation rather than self expression (to me, that point is when you tattoo your face, but ultimately that is my, not their, hangup), and that makes me uncomfortable, but my being uncomfortable does not make their having tattooed themselves in that way un-natural.

However, I will conceed, if you value success over self expression, big tattoos people can see might not be the best choice for you.

-Jake

Miss Marnie

New in Town
carebear said:
There are times and places where "expressing yourself" is self-indulgent and inappropriate. Maturity and courtesy often demand that one voluntarily conform to others standards and wishes and that can include appearance.

For example, grandma loves you but dislikes tattoos and piercings. You could self-righteously insist that she change her view or "deal with it" and show up with everything showing OR you can decide to be courteous and respectful of her (insert generically "others') wishes and cover up/remove as much as is practical.

There is a difference between having the "right" to do something and forcing your exercise of that right on other people at all times and places, especially when you do something you knew, going in, had social repercussions.

Very well said. Knowing the difference can go a long way in dispelling preconceived notions.

carebear

jake431 said:
I object to the notion that people get tattoos "just because" it's trendy. Sure, some people do...

I did try to make it clear that it was teens, who frequently make stupider choices, but very rarely ones that are quite so permanent, that I was referring to. If they are in college and presumably a little more rational and long view of thought and still want to make their faces look like a Megadeath poster, be my guest. Just don't whine in public when they can't get a job as a corporate executive. :)

I will admit, there does come a point with tattoos, or other body modification where it becomes apparent that how you are modifying yourself has more to do with a sense of self-alienation rather than self expression (to me, that point is when you tattoo your face, but ultimately that is my, not their, hangup), and that makes me uncomfortable, but my being uncomfortable does not make their having tattooed themselves in that way un-natural.

Very true. Something that grates me though is the attitude some adorned folks present that states that everyone else should just accept their appearance no matter what. It is not, by definition, "close-minded" to think someone looks like an idiot and treat them differently because of it. It isn't like skin color or such, it's purely voluntary. Don't want to be treated different? Don't choose to look different.

However, I will conceed, if you value success over self expression, big tattoos people can see might not be the best choice for you.
-Jake

I don't see it as an "either/or" with a little creativity in application, but I will conceed that the definition of "success" I'm using is a very mainstream/traditional one. There are many options for success where self-expression like that is inconsequential or even a plus. And being happy with what you do and who you are is the key to life.

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Quitin' Time

I knew it was time to retire from the military when I had to tell 3 young ladies and two young men to remove the piercing from their toungue when in uniform. The amazing thing was one young LT called me aside and told me I was being too tough on the younger soldiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart