Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll be sorry I asked but...

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
tats and rings are for drunken sailors, not gentlemen!
-dixon "judgemental" cannon

Well, I had my left ear pierced while I was in the Coast Guard (and I have been drunk, just not at the time.)...Wore a Skull earring only while Off Duty for the two dead bodies I fished out of the ocean.

I am Retired now and its' been years since I wore it though and it has healed shut.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Depends on what the guy looks like, but find ost piercings, and most tattoos are attractive. A well muscled arm with a tattoo is a good thing.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also think it depends on what the guy looks like. It has to go with his overall look. I personally am not a big fan of them, but sometimes they just look right.
I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread about the ear "plugs" that stretch the ear hole. I really never understood the point of them. But hey, to each his own.

ortega76

Practically Family
Zohar said:
I was talking about earrings, but your suggestion regarding tattoos applies as well. I had no idea they are so expensive!

As the sign in my artist's shop says "good tattoos ain't cheap and cheap tattoos ain't good". I think one of the prejudices some older folks have about body art is that they don't see enough good body art. I know a lot of people who have only seen jailhouse names or bad unicorns or the ubiquitous Looney Tunes characters get blown away when they see a beautiful koi sleeve done in a traditional Japanese style or a tattoo that is done in the style of a piece of art. The lawyer-cum-tattoo blogger Marissa DiMattea has beautiful black-and-white tribal-style artwork inspired by etchings taken from Greek temples and other Greek architecture. Off course, this is now drifting :eek:fftopic:

Tony in Tarzana

OK for pirates

Not for me, but I'm a live and let live kinda guy.

When I see the outrageous ones, I can't help thinking about having to crawl under a car to fix something and getting the damn things caught on something.

Large hoop earrings on women look nice, but they always worry me. Or do they have some kind of breakaway feature to prevent injury?

funneman

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Would you buy a used car from this man? ;)
030505v.jpg

OMG, where on earth did you get that picture of me?! And I'm not even wearing my fedora!

Section10

One of the Regulars
no

How does this guy behave around magnets?
My wife has pierced ears and wears small studs and that's o.k. I've never had any body parts pierced ( at least on purpose). I guess on men it's alright if it's discreet and not something that immediately captures all your attention. I fail to understand why anyone would handicap themselves with a bunch of unnecessary hardware simply for the sake of a little pointless vanity.

S

Samsa

I have no moral objection to them, but just don't see the attraction. That said, I really don't care what someone else chooses to do with their body, so long as it only directly affects them.

carebear

jazzbass said:
It's a fashion statement--nothing more. Kinda like wearing a hat.....or not wearing one.

jazzbass

Except if the boss of the company you want to be employed by doesn't like it, you can take the hat off and on without leaving a mark.

Everyone is free to do what they want to themselves (I don't care in particular about what people do) but it can be self-limiting in terms of social and business opportunities. I shudder (in a general sense) when I see kids, still in high school, with large visible tattoos and piercings.

If you are in your 20's and have decided the professional business world isn't for you, fine. But to create additional probable roadblocks to many future avenues of success and lines of endeavor just because it's trendy? [huh]

Oh, and "tramp stamps" got the nickname because of the clothes that go with them and the behavior of (enough to justify a stereotype anyway) the girls who wear them.

Do a google or go to any bar for evidence, you'll need to keep your eyes low.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matthew Dalton said:
I have to admit that I think those plugs that leave permenant holes in your ears are a stupid idea though.

I think they can be quite nice, if done well. Not too big, those just scare me. But I have plugs (5/8" not easy to see in my avatar pic) and most people think Im wearing regular earings and dont notice the streach at all. :eek:

Fleur De Guerre said:
I think a lot of the time (in my age group at any rate) dressing vintage stems from previously being "alternative" (punk, metal, goth). I used to have tons, and still have some and stretched ears. My boyfriend has slightly stretched ears, and they look cute - they aren't so big as to be grotesque. But then he is very rockabilly so it goes with the "look" I guess.

True true true.
With the 'style' of it now, there isnt much difference in the two. I find it kinda ironic. The pearced out, tatted folks wearing suspenders, and propperly fitting high waist trousers with an argyle sweater, and polished shoes. Go figure.

LD

J.B.

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:
Errr...kinda yuck, but, um, better than elsewhere, like tongue or belly button or the chest or...they pop up in the queerest places these days:rolleyes: ...every time I say "Open your mouth, please" and see...well, the first time, I almost gagged.:p

heh. I work in an ancillary department for a medical office building. Yesterday, one of the new M.A.'s walked by -- she's a "hugger-type" -- and smiled a big grin at me...

...and with God as my witness -- there was a small ball-bearing sitting on top of her tongue! [huh] :D

Of course, I'm old -- and easily amazed.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
J.B. said:
heh. I work in an ancillary department for a medical office building. Yesterday, one of the new M.A.'s walked by -- she's a "hugger-type" -- and smiled a big grin at me...

...and with God as my witness -- there was a small ball-bearing sitting on top of her tongue! [huh] :D

Of course, I'm old -- and easily amazed.

I saw a girl recently who had a ring through the line of gum above your front teeth that connects to the lip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart