Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm going to make a pair of Flannel Trousers - suggestions welcome

Edward

Bartender
Personally, I like having the option of either braces or belt on trousers - I'd do that by dropping the side-adjusters, putting the buttons on the inside, and having a back buckle just below the loops. If dropping the loops, I'd still have just the one attached for hooking my keychain to.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
As Nyah says, side adjustor straps with belt loops can be a bit "belt and braces".
Actually, that's a totally different issue. I was trying to point out that the side-adjusters shouldn't be located in a place that allows a belt to cross over them. A belt over the adjusters will eventually abrade their straps. It looked like the O.P. wanted to have the option of belt or braces so, I was trying to help with that.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Personally, I like having the option of either braces or belt on trousers .

For me it's an 'either/or' proposition as I've found that the combo option weakens both systems. The beauty of the brace/suspender system is that the waistband can be eased (an inch or so) for maximum comfort while still allowing the trousers to hang properly. Trousers worn with a belt need to have the waistband fitted close to stay put. Therein lies the rub. Wearing a belt with a waistband that has been eased will have a negative effect on how the trousers hang and have an unsightly appearance to boot. So to have a workable combo system the waistband needs to be fitted close, which IMO, renders the use of braces/suspenders superfluous.

simonc

Practically Family
All three fastening methods does seem a lot, however perhaps the trousers were made that way for individual to chose, who knows? BK doesn't like both, I imagine he's suggesting pirate pants and I agree that would be wrong on classic flannel trousers. However Edward would prefer the option for either when he fancy's, so would I. For myself I am a member of the less is more school on just about everything. I'd whip off the loops, use the side adjusters to greater effect and employ braces. But that would create a very formal looking cut in my mind and I don't want that. I want 10/10 smartest casual the essence of grey flannel trousers. Belt loops suggest a sexy thin brown crocodile belt. Perhaps lose the side adjusters? I am familiar with heavy cloths and the issue is this cloth is so heavy it will most certainly need holding up some way shape or form. Right now I am open to suggestions. Btw are belt loops sewn into the waistband? No pattern yet TT.

Last edited:
I think AC Lyles puts it well - if you want braces the trousers will be cut differently. I know from experience that wearing a belt with trousers intended for braces use will lead to bunching of excess fabric at the side seams (or wherever you choose to distribute the excess. Unsightly. With a pair of trousers cut close to the waist the suspenders become superfluous, as they are no longer suspending. They're just sitting there as a fashion statement.

My favourite combination is suspenders with side adjustors, or better a rear adjustment strap. The straps perform the function of a belt should one choose to go without suspenders. Trousers for belt loops would forego suspender buttons and side adjustors.

BK doesn't like both, I imagine he's suggesting pirate pants and I agree that would be wrong on classic flannel trousers.

simonc

Practically Family
I agree with you (BK), you know that, my issue is a sartorial question. Work wear and formal wear ironically support suspenders. But what of smart flannel trousers?
Are these worn with braces?
s6UwJXz.jpg

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
We are talking about 17oz flannel here.
Side Adjusters with belt loops?
Side Adjusters with suspender buttons?
Or Side Adjusters no buttons no loops, below?
qwfVAGP.jpg

On a different front what do you think of employing a one inch widening from the knee to the hem?

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you decide on side adjusters I would recommend the 'Daks top'. And have rubber (patches or strip) afixxed to the waistband. It will cling to your shirt and help the waistband stay put . That's the only adjuster system that has worked for me and I've tried them all.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
If this were an election, my vote would be for side-adjusters with suspender-buttons. I most-prefer suspenders but, not all of my shirts work with them and, I don't like belts.

simonc

Practically Family
Yes that's what I've settled on too, although thicker elastic, slightly more robust but flush side adjuster buckles, (suggestions welcome on interesting deco ones), rubber plasters, with suspender buttons. But so far so good. Thanks again guys.

Now to the back pocket shape, thoughts on early US Pinks pocket flap? Also I am considering rear darts or pleats, I really want the backside although loose to obtain a clean fitted and pert form into the waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner