Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Image request - Black fedora with silver ribbon please

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face
Hi Guys,
Need your help.
I am thinking about having a black fedora with a silver ribbon made.
Have not seen any and not sure if it will look right or not.

Please post any images if you have one.

Thank you in advance.

Owen

I ain't saying it can't be done well, but know that silver on black is a stark contrast. I think I recall making a hat or two along those lines (the memory is the first thing to go, thank God), and not being all that happy with it.

But, with the right silver, and the right black (there's black, and then there's black), in the right proportions, it could real sharp. I'd instinctively steer away from a silver edge binding on a black body, though.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Tony, too, and would stress his point about skipping a silver binding.

This is a very challenging combination. In my rather conservative opinion black felt is a challenge for non-matching ribbons to begin with, but even more so for such a high contrast ribbon. It can easily look flashy, and you might eventually refer to your new hat as "that hat".

If you're looking for an opportunity to use a silver ribbon on a darker felt - dark brown felt can work surprisingly well with a silver ribbon (or a silver with tan undertones) despite the high contrast; I'd go for a raw or welted egde. Also, mid to dark grey felts with silver ribbon can be a very successful combinations, like the Winchester granite felt for instance.

And another thing worth considering ...

Dark colored hat bodies, even fairly high-quality ones, just might bleed dye should they get good and wet. And should that dye bleed into a light-colored ribbon ...

Diggin' through some old pics. Is this one black? Or a dark brown? And the ribbon isn't exactly silver, but it is a gray. It's okay, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Here's one that Art made for my wife a few years ago. She really wanted black and silver (she's shown no signs of being a Raiders fan), but it isn't my favorite colour combination.

D31_5548-L.jpg

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
You will remember that I had you make two like the one worn by the customer in the Edward Hopper diner picture "Night Hawks". The men (both Hopper) are wearing silver fedoras with black ribbons. You made one like that, and a second one with reverse colors (black felt, silver ribbon). It must have been about 2010.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd chime in on this one, as I just recently made a black fedora with a smoke grey ribbon that contrasts a lot, but nicely in my opinion. It's not silver, but it s a lighter grey. And, yes, I did find out that the black felt was not color fast, but fortunately it was before I sewed in the sweat (or wore it in the rain). I just soaked it in my sink for a while, all the excess dye came out, reblocked it and continued on with a lesson learned easy.
e8a7fbde6a0570a9ab9f2ec41085148d.jpg

e848155b95493a8063e221e7889c17c6.jpg

I made a black ribbon for it as well, but like the light grey too much to replace it.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I like the hat Art made for your wife very much, David. It looks great on her. Of course being a woman she can easily get away with more daring color combinations. It's not so easy for a man to pull it off. If we're talking about how the hat itself looks on the shelf, it's beautiful, no doubt about it. When a man is wearing it, that's a different story. On the other hand, it would be a stunning hat even for a man outside our golden era context.

The other two combination are very well done, too, only the ribbons are not quite silver (you already said it, Moe) which makes a whole lot of a difference. I like your take on that combination very much, Moe.

SpeedRcrX had Art make her a black felt with a ca. 1" ribbon in silverblue (light blue with silver), which is a similar idea. The blue hue somehow softens the contrast. It's yet another combination that I think works best for a woman.

Last edited:
I think a ribbon with silver in it could work very well. Perhaps a dark grey or black ribbon with a silver stripe. Or a dark ribbon with a dark bow, but silver bow knot?

AMG, is this something you're thinking of designing for a D'Aquino? Because that's exactly why I ordered navy blue for the one I had her make. Almost went with a light grey or silver edge binding, but picked charcoal instead. I think it can work, it just has to be subtle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24