Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imelda May

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Do people here know anything about Dublin-born Rockabilly singer Imelda May? I came across her work recently as there was a picture of her in the paper (best female singer award) and she really caught my eye with her Vampira-esque victory roll!

Here is a picture of her:

Imelda_May.jpg

And here she is performing a really catchy song called: "Johnny Got A Boom Boom" on the Late Late show (Ireland's - and the world's - longest running chat show)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TihUTinfHgo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TihUTinfHgo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you watch the interview, she really epitomizes the best of Dublin. Really, really nice girl. She's a "real Dub" - coming from "The Liberties" in Dublin. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Not only is she stunning (even moreso in person than in photos), and incredibly talented, both as singer and songwriter, but she is one of the sweetest, most down to earth people around. I'm ridiculously excited for her... I've been aware of her since about 2003, when she was still performing a few numbers in Mike Sanchez's set - an act I came to as a friend of mine, Al Gare, was playing bass in the band (Al now plays bass for Imelda in her own band). I've followed her performances through her appearance as the in-house singer at the Candy Box burlesque nights up in Brum, then as a solo artist. Seeing her last month at a sold out show in Koko, here in London, was amazing.... that venue has somewhere between 1600 and 2000 capacity; 12 months ago, I was standing in the Dublin Castle with ten other people watching her. A fantastic success, and really well deserved. I'm very excited about the second album, which I think is due to be out later this year. Her new numbers are moving very much into an upbeat, rocky rockabilly territory - a touch psychobilly, even. Superb stuff.

Warden

One Too Many
She is appearing at the Stables Theatre in Milk and Beans on Wed 20th May.

I plan to go as Billy no mates as know one else I know whats to go and see her.

Shame on them I say, anyone fancy the gig?

Harry

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Warden said:
She is appearing at the Stables Theatre in Milk and Beans on Wed 20th May.

I plan to go as Billy no mates as know one else I know whats to go and see her.

Shame on them I say, anyone fancy the gig?

Harry

ill be your mate Harry....20th may should be long enough for me too collect sme pennies to go.....:eusa_clap

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
I am off to see her for the 3rd time! This time in my hometown ,colchester essex,great venue too ,the arts centre ,an old converted church ,tuesday 2nd june,c'mon loungers!!!

Edward

Bartender
Anyone going to see Imelda in Shepard's Bush Empire in London next month? I'm really looking forward to it. Saw her again the other week - the new material is really strong, and she says the second album is due out in September or October. :) I did try to get tickets for the gig at the O2 as well, also in September, but they're only selling tickets to Amex holders as some sort of exclusive.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap

Thanks Bassman but unfortunately I'll be gone before she gets to NYC. Would have been fun, being a Dubliner going in to see another Dubliner there.

She doing well Stateside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner