Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In which WWII army should you have fought?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
You scored as a Italy

Your army is the Italian army. You love your country but you're actually not much into the war your leaders want you to join in. Take it easy mate, you can always wait for the twists of fortune and eventually join the side that is winning in the conflict.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
???

Your army is Poland's army. Your tenacity will form a concept in the history of your nation and you're also ready to continue fighting even if your country is occupied by the enemy. Other nations that are included in this category are Greece, Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands.

My grandfather on my mother's side was 100% Polish. He served the US in the Phillipines while my grandmother worked as a telephone operator and volunteered with the USO.

What I remember was that he was a helluva scrapper!!!!

Maybe this was due to my comment about not being overly concerned about uniforms and such????

Oh well.... looks like underground resistance and hit and run tactics for me!! At least I won't have to dig anymore damn foxholes!!

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

I haven't heard that for years!!!!

Good on ya Sarge!!!

And back to the original subject... I did some searching as to the Polish involvement in WWII........

I really don't want to even bring up the stuff i found out... So I'll just say, they were very unfortunate and had to be very tenacious.... As an American grunt, I couldn't imagine what they faced. Talk about a no-win situation right in your own back yard!!!

I also remember my grandpa saying his two brothers (2 and 4 yrs older) were going to go fight if the US didn't and how he let it slip to their mother and the fireworks that followed. Especially since their father was finally bed-ridden after having been shell-shocked then gassed... And since the three boys had to work to support the family (including a baby brother). But they still had family there, so I can totally understand the feeling!!!

Chas

One Too Many
I made the Finns. I can live with that!

But if I could choose, I would choose to fight in a significant role in the most important battle of WW2: The Battle Of The Atlantic. With Western Approaches Command, of course.
walkerwildgoose.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
But what about those who dig to prepare traps and ambush-positions?:p Or is that just more of my serpentine nature at work?

If it's an "ambush position", it's a fighting hole or revetment (vehicle fighting position) as you will be fighting from it.

If it's a "trap", the enemy goes into it, not you. Thus it is an obstacle, and should be covered by fire, either indirect or direct, which will almost invariably, on the defense, be applied from a fighting hole or revetment.

If it's a dummy obstacle, it doesn't necessarily have to be covered by fire. In that case it's just a hole, but with purpose. :D

carebear

Diamondback said:
Matt, when I said "ambush", I was thinking more like "lay low while they pass, then strike from behind". :eek:

Preferably with other folks on the other side of 'em to up the fun-factor...:D

Then you wouldn't dig in and risk giving away your pos.

carebear

Diamondback said:
I'd also raise the philosophical question of "if you have nothing worth fighting for, worth even dying for, do you really have anything worth living for?"

Dames and cheap booze. nuff said. :p

Corto

A-List Customer
"You scored as a British and the Commonwealth
Your army is the British and the Commonwealth (Canada, ANZAC, India). You want to serve under good generals and use good equipment in defense of the western form of life.
Finland 94%
British and the Commonwealth 94%
Italy 75%
France, Free French and the Resistance 63%
Poland 63%
United States 50%
Soviet Union 31%
Germany 31%
Japan 25%"

Considering Monty a "good general" doesn't square with my perception of British military leadership...maybe they were talking about Slim though...in that case I understand.

What would I have to do to score as an American?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo