Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones: Bane of Vintage Enthusiasts

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The author is a well respected member of this site, and the debate over Indy has been done to death - usually resulting in locked threads.
Run a search.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Interesting article. I'm an Indiana Jones fan, don't get me wrong, but I understand where this guy's coming from. The brown fedora, let alone the fedora itself (well, mostly wider brimmed types), has become so associated with the Indiana Jones series, that it is one of the most common things people in the world can think of when seeing someone wearing one. I have actually seen a couple of other people wearing brown fedoras in my area, but I have had the good sense to not give them the Indiana Jones shout. It didn't even occur to me at the time. Some of you might dislike the fedora types popular with some of the more hard-core Indiana Jones fans, such as the Akubra Federation IV, Christy's Adventurers, or the Adventurebilts, and the numerous other derivatives. That's understandable to a certain extent, but with my own federation, I don't tend to think of it as an "Indy hat." Rather, I simply think of it as a brown fedora with a typical 1930s period shape. I like brown fedoras, perhaps in part because of Indiana Jones, but there are definitely other aesthetic reasons.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yeah, the author is a regular here. Nice guy. I agree, though; I can only shudder at what the buyer might do to the poor thing.

flute

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I ran across this the other day and almost posted it here but didn't because I figured somebody else had probably done so.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
people interested in history post IJ? .... nah

if i were to wear knickers, "modern" plus twos, i would be george washington
if i were to wear a monocle i would be uncle money bags....
wide brimmed hat- cowboy of your choosing
fedora- indiana jones or maybe cowboy reference again...

people associate catchy imagery with what ever they remember...

in other words, people as a whole tend to be simple.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
cybergentleman said:
if i were to wear knickers, "modern" plus twos, i would be george washington
if i were to wear a monocle i would be uncle money bags....
wide brimmed hat- cowboy of your choosing
fedora- indiana jones or maybe cowboy reference again...

people associate catchy imagery with what ever they remember...

in other words, people as a whole tend to be simple.

A friend of mine always had a saying, "Ninety percent of the population rides the short bus."

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I appreciate it. :)

There was a thread on this forum which 'inspired' that piece, and the homburg in question was mentioned there as well. The FL is a great place to learn and share info.
Hopefully nothing 'bad' happened to that homburg.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
The author is a well respected member of this site, and the debate over Indy has been done to death - usually resulting in locked threads.
Run a search.

Anyone else fed up with self-appointed bartenders telling posters what they should, or should not post?

Get a life.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
Anyone else fed up with self-appointed bartenders telling posters what they should, or should not post?

Get a life.

Nope, I'm cool with it - which you'd know, if you had run a search.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Nope, I'm cool with it - which you'd know, if you had run a search.

I would have run a search, but until this thread, I'd never heard of you.

I don't have the time to search the insignificant.

I thought the article was interesting, and am still wondering what the significance is that the author is a "well respected member". Maybe I'll understand when I get to 4490 posts.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
I would have run a search, but until this thread, I'd never heard of you.

I don't have the time to search the insignificant.

I find it telling that nearly all of your posts in the hat forum are in the Dumbest Comment I've Ever Heard thread.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I find it telling that nearly all of your posts in the hat forum are in the Dumbest Comment I've Ever Heard thread.

I find it funny that you have the time to search my posts. Glad to know I'm that important to you. Good night!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
I find it funny that you have the time to search my posts. Glad to know I'm that important to you. Good night!

As you said, I'd never heard of you.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
StetsonHomburg said:
Nice Title eh? Well here is an article about a scary ebay auction and I can only pray for the Poor Stetson Homburg to see what horrors it's facing! :rage: http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

With Lefty's permission, I'd like to quote the following from the article:

But not all is doom and gloom. One bright spot is that more people will become interested in history because of these movies. With more vintage-inspired movies on the silver screen the more vintage enthusiasts we see. And maybe they will turn the tide against the historical ignorance. Inviting new folks into the hobby is always fun; helping them learn and understand the past is even better.

So maybe the movies are important, at least to a certain extent. While they may help many people remain ignorant they also bring others out into the light of historical knowledge.

And that is indeed a good thing.

Let's hope for every dumb-ass "hey Indy!" comment there's one "hey, what a great look!"

The Good

Call Me a Cab
MisterCairo said:
With Lefty's permission, I'd like to quote the following from the article:

But not all is doom and gloom. One bright spot is that more people will become interested in history because of these movies. With more vintage-inspired movies on the silver screen the more vintage enthusiasts we see. And maybe they will turn the tide against the historical ignorance. Inviting new folks into the hobby is always fun; helping them learn and understand the past is even better.

So maybe the movies are important, at least to a certain extent. While they may help many people remain ignorant they also bring others out into the light of historical knowledge.

And that is indeed a good thing.

Let's hope for every dumb-ass "hey Indy!" comment there's one "hey, what a great look!"

Well, for the sake of argument, let's say that since I'm usually donning an Akubra Federation IV, I'm wearing an Indiana Jones hat. Now, I've had a small handful of Indy-related comments in my time (probably just two or three at the moment), but I remember receiving far more complimentary comments than a character-related one. If that's anything to go by, then things seem to be looking up. Anyone else have similar experiences with their brown fedoras... erm, "Indiana Jones hats?"

Pompidou

One Too Many
Nice hat and Indiana Jones needn't be mutually exclusive. I often get both from the same person in the same phrase of conversation. It's hard to take "Hey Indy!" as anything but a friendly jest, and 90% of the time, it's followed by a compliment. Not a bad thing, really.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Pompidou said:
Nice hat and Indiana Jones needn't be mutually exclusive. I often get both from the same person in the same phrase of conversation. It's hard to take "Hey Indy!" as anything but a friendly jest, and 90% of the time, it's followed by a compliment. Not a bad thing, really.

I gather, though, from this thread and the "Dumbest Comment I've Ever Heard" thread (the one I've posted to most frequently, apparently) that most "Indy" comments are sarcastic put downs. That's what I gather at least.

Of course, one can take such comments as compliments. Probably the best course of action!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:

I'm wondering now if you aren't trying to turn this into another locked thread on purpose! Self-fulfilling prophecy? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy