Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indigenous, Tribal, Ceremonial, or Native Hats

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Post any interesting and exotic hats here!

This is the proper hat worn while playing Buzkashi, the national sport of Afghanistan. Anyone happen to own one of these?
buzkashi_hat2.jpg

Here's a link to information about the sport, which sounds quite challenging:
http://www.afghan-network.net/Culture/buzkashi.html

Flicka

One Too Many
A few of our folk costumes (with hats) can be seen here:

Svenska_folkdrkter_del2_Nordisk_familjebok.jpg

I'm part Sami, and their/our traditional hats range between fur hats and very eloborately decorated colourful hats. A sample:

800px-Sami_hat.jpg

You can also find all sorts of traditional hats from Sweden and Norway on the Folklore Fashion Blog. Excellent resource with wonderful pictures if you're into that sort of thing.

I've always liked the beret-like Afghan pakul (or pakol) hat. I remember seeing some at a gun show that someone had brought back from there but didn't think to get one at the time.

Pakol,+Ahmed+Shah+Massoud.bmp

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
These pictures aren't very good because I didn't want to make these guys self conscious, but I took these pics on the edge of the Tibetan plateau a few months ago. They were a tribal minority in China:
DSCN3744.jpg

DSCN3755.jpg

And I took these in northwest China up near the Russian border just about a year ago:
DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Flicka, you pique my interest in visiting Sweden. If only I weren't such a fan of warmer climes!

Very cool travel photos, Blackthorn. I especially appreciate the ones taken surreptitiously so as not to cause offense; they seem to capture more veracity, somehow, than posed pictures.

That pakul does have a pleasing shape, V.C. I think it could blend in quite well anywhere. Perhaps a leather sweat and satin liner could be installed to alleviate the itchiness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart