Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive Ralph Lauren tuxedos

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Having rather unexpectedly convinced myself that a notched lapel tuxedo with a lot of buttons is not necessarily a bad thing (and having given myself permission to refer to them as "tuxedos"), I was looking on the internet for same and came across ads for Ralph Lauren models for a few hundred dollars. I am kind of interested because they are sold as separates. My chest and waist do not conform to the standard drop.

Anyone have a clue as to whether the quality is passable in a not particularly discerning environment?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Richard Warren said:
a notched lapel tuxedo with a lot of buttons
:eek:

Richard Warren said:
Anyone have a clue as to whether the quality is passable
Post a link to the seller as RL offer several different labels of varying quality.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just a caveat: If you wear a tuxedo with a blasted four in hand tie, somebody (maybe several somebodies) from the Lounge will hunt you down, no matter where you are, and slap you silly! Please get yourself the appropriate shirt and bow tie combo (the tie material should match the lapels, presumably satin), and a decent pair of patent leather shoes would also be good. There are discussions of shoes elsewhere here.
Likewise cummerbunds and waistcoats.
The problem with mail (or internet) order is the issue of fit. If it doesn't really fit, or you can't get it altered to fit well, stear clear.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Richard Warren said:

shakeshead

laurensleeve.jpg

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Mr. Hermann, I am indeed afraid that the same logic which led me to abandon my erstwhile disdain for the notched lapel and multi-buttoned dinner jacket (excuse me, tuxedo) has left me in an aesthetic free fall that might well result in other even more radical deviations.

Tomasso, I take it you hold the "Lauren" label with a considerable degree of disapprobation. While I own a fair number of casual items with the "Polo" label, I do not know that I have ever even seen a suit bearing any of Mr. Lauren's numerous brands. I realize that any suit at that price must be of rather questionable quality. My intent would be to wear it engagements at which various forms of debauchery are common, to the point where I hesitate to risk a decent suit. As noted, the other attendees are not noted for their discerning taste, and would probably best be characterized as hicks and rubes. (To answer the obvious question, such events are also attended by a surprising number of impressionable, attractive young women with dubious economic prospects).

Should the "Lauren" label just be avoided altogether?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I have examined a "Lauren" "tuxedo" and it is surprisingly not awful. I could not bring myself to buy a notched-lapel, multi-buttoned simulacrum of a dinner jacket, however, even on a disposable basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran