Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

$ally

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
$ally darlin, clear out your message inbox. I can't answer you!
Time to clean my corner of the lounge.

I'd hate to see what happens when I mention the use of Damp-It around these boys! :eek: Old fashioned gentlemen, indeed... shakeshead

Mustang

One of the Regulars
$ally said:
Time to clean my corner of the lounge.

I'd hate to see what happens when I mention the use of Damp-It around these boys! :eek: Old fashioned gentlemen, indeed... shakeshead

Absolutely nothing...I use them in my guitar :D

$ally

One Too Many
Mustang said:
Absolutely nothing...I use them in my guitar
:) The desert takes it's toll on my fiddles, too. Sometimes I take them into the bathroom when I shower to get a little steamy air.
I don't actually put the dampit in the f-hole, just leave it in the case.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
$ally said:
:) The desert takes it's toll on my fiddles, too. Sometimes I take them into the bathroom when I shower to get a little steamy air.
I don't actually put the dampit in the f-hole, just leave it in the case.

The winter kills mine. Even though it's humid outside, all year long here in Michigan, the air inside is very dry during the winter.

$ally

One Too Many
Mustang said:
The winter kills mine. Even though it's humid outside, all year long here in Michigan, the air inside is very dry during the winter.
The heater in Iowa did the same thing. We called it chapped violin.

pgoat

One Too Many
could be worse. I grew up out on Long Island - really humid in the summers - I can imagine what they go through in Florida, Louisiana, etc.

I knew a classical guitarist who kept a humidifier in the sound hole of his handmade Khono. I said, please tell me you remove that now that the summer is here....he said, no it's not good for the wood to dry out. I reminded him that while our winters were dry, especially with forced air indoor heating, the summers were quite humid. He scoffed at my advice and was rewarded with a guitar sans its top the next time he opened the case to practice. He was lucky - all it took was an expensive re-glue.

Jaco Pastorius often told of his upright bass falling to pieces in the Florida humidity.

we players of Fender teles and strats and basses are spolied. those things take incredible abuse - not surprising as they are essentially slabs of wood, not a delicately glued work of art. But impressive nonetheless.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Me & my baby:

GuitarFedora.jpg

Now that my 8 year old has been bitten by the photography bug, all sorts of pictures have been taken of me in the last few days. :eusa_doh:

CharlesB

Suspended
pgoat said:
could be worse. I grew up out on Long Island - really humid in the summers - I can imagine what they go through in Florida, Louisiana, etc.

I knew a classical guitarist who kept a humidifier in the sound hole of his handmade Khono. I said, please tell me you remove that now that the summer is here....he said, no it's not good for the wood to dry out. I reminded him that while our winters were dry, especially with forced air indoor heating, the summers were quite humid. He scoffed at my advice and was rewarded with a guitar sans its top the next time he opened the case to practice. He was lucky - all it took was an expensive re-glue.

Jaco Pastorius often told of his upright bass falling to pieces in the Florida humidity.

we players of Fender teles and strats and basses are spolied. those things take incredible abuse - not surprising as they are essentially slabs of wood, not a delicately glued work of art. But impressive nonetheless.
No matter what I do I cant knock my Les Paul outta tune. same with my buttescotch tele

Bassman

A-List Customer
$ally said:
I want a washboard shirt like this, but don't they make 'em in my...er...shape:
Oh! Yes They DO! :p There's one on the wall at the Rodeo Bar in NYC. I'm trying to find a picture I can post.

BORNTOOLATE

New in Town
Trumpet in high school. A little guitar, fiddle, mandolin and just a smidge on about anything I can play by ear, but I play nothing real well. Practicing is unfortunately the last thing on my list with three yunguns runnin about.

Bassman

A-List Customer
Please observe above the electric guitarist's head (far right). It's a little hard to make out, but it's one "built" washboard.
That's me on bass fiddle, by the way.

acb.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
Bassman said:
Please observe above the electric guitarist's head (far right). It's a little hard to make out, but it's one "built" washboard.
That's me on bass fiddle, by the way.
lol Somebody did make a shapely washboard.
Nice gutbucket, there!

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
I love music! Music is my life! I play guitar, bass, drums, and some sitar. I've been playing guitar and drums for about 6 years, bass for about 3 years and I've been playing sitar for less then a year. The sitar is such a cool instrument, even if I can hardly play the thing, haha.

pgoat

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
No matter what I do I cant knock my Les Paul outta tune. same with my buttescotch tele

I've always had a little less stability with Gibsons than fenders overall....but, either is definitely less delicate than any acoustic instrument.

I've been playing Paul Reed Smiths the last few years . I rather hate the look - a Little too pointy and MTV for my tastes and they look fairly repulsive on an old geezer like me. BUT they stay in tune really really well, even the ones with the whammy bars. They play great too - the pickups can be a little overkill imo. Not transparent enough.

pgoat

One Too Many
HoneyBee said:
Anyone here play the ukulele? I received one for my birthday (that's it in my icon) and have been trying to teach myself - so far I've gotten through "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys but that's it!

I also play some electric guitar and bass but I'm way out of practice.
You and Tess Trueheart oughta trade notes.

I see a lot more uke players these days. Most of the people I know got into it via George Harrison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner