Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

Trickeration

Practically Family
Blackjack said:
I'm hoping she opts for bass only because she's a lefty and would mess up how my son and I have the drums set up! ;)

---------------------------------------------

I'm a lefty and learned to play right handed. The man I studied with would not let anyone play "Backwards"... It has actually become a benefit over the years as my left hand was always strong.

As far as not starving if you become a bass player, they are hard to find ( here in Chicago) but if you want to make a living in music become a ferocious reader. You"ll always get work.

Yes, if she wants to play, I should have her learn right-handed. She should do okay. And that's true about reading. I'm not much of a reader, but my husband is. He's gotten some great gigs and played with lots of incredible musicians. It opens a lot of doors if you can come in and play well by sight.

pgoat

One Too Many
Meggan_Lane said:
Very Cool HoneyBee. The Ukulele is such a great instrument. I just dream of having one though:) Lucky!

Just fyi, when we were in Hawaii I was tempted to buy one - a very high quality uke is still pricey there but I think the reasonable ones were much more reasonable than in the mainland...so, just onemore reason for vaca in Ha!!

if we ever get back there (oh, please please please!) I'm def. gonna grab one.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Originally Posted by Blackjack
I'm hoping she opts for bass only because she's a lefty and would mess up how my son and I have the drums set up!

Why not let her learn how to play the drum set in "open" style. That is to say, her left hand would play the high hat in front of her, her right hand plays the snare, and her right foot would be play the bass. If she has any ambidextrous tendencies, she could switch when it comes to playing the ride cymbal (right hand on the ride cymbal and left hand on the snare). Or better yet, move the ride cymbal to the left.

A good example of this would be Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOssmcxTbZI

I wish that I had the ability to play "open" style. I guess I just need to practice (a lot!).

Bob

$ally

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
If you want to make a living in music become a ferocious reader. You'll always get work.
Not dreaming of make a living at this, but I do read music to some degree. Comes with the territory when playing with a large-ish orchestra.
P.S. I'm still begging for more airline travel tips with instruments in tow.

$ally

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
i cut my teeth in everything from punk bands to alt.country and indie rock. The thing I loved about playing back home was that everyone Ive played with was competent in at least 2 instruments so people could move about when recording or working on stuff very fluidly
Most people learn guitar, bass, viola, and that type of thing. Not a lot of banjo, mandolin, lap steel players out there.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I can't do a lot of things but music...music i CAN do. I play Violin, Piano, Guitar, Clarinet/Contra base, and pretty much all percussion. To bad i don't have the time to dedicate myself to more instruments I adore playing music.

pgoat

One Too Many
wow we have some really talented multi-instrumentalists here!

we really MUST get a jam together!

No, Really, I mean it

$ally

One Too Many
TheDutchess said:
I can't do a lot of things but music...music i CAN do.
Music is plenty! It enriches peoples lives, takes a certain kind of intelligence, besides talent.

Blackjack

One Too Many
International by ship then? I'll pass on the mystery machine said:
but highly influenced by string swing past.[/B]

GYPSY JAZZ!! My favorite! Kudo's to you Sally, thats music from the heart!!!
p.s.- If your profile pics get any better I'm going to have to propose...;)

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
Very impressive!
If you learn a lot of jazz standards on the upright, you will not starve - good bassists are in demand.
I also have a uke, but I don't consider myself to be playing it yet - I need to get faster and know more than 3 chords! But it is SO much more portable than the baby grand.

Hey Thanks! I would love to play upright for a living some day...we will see where it takes me!
I hear you are quite talented yourself - I want to hear you sing!:)

$ally

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
GYPSY JAZZ!! My favorite! Kudo's to you Sally, thats music from the heart!!!
p.s.- If your profile pics get any better I'm going to have to propose...
gosh golly gee *blush*
It's almost as tricky as bluegrass, for that same reason. We'll see how it turns out. Funny how sometimes the things that seem simple are the most difficult. You can't fake that stuff, either it's a part of you or it isn't.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I play guitar, with my Taylor GSRS. I just play rhythm, and have no desire to play/learn lead. I've not been playing all that long, but I try to make up for it with my obsessive nature. :D

pgoat

One Too Many
playing lead is overrated. Guys like Keith Richard and Andy Summers have done pretty well for themselves with very little 'guitar diarrhea' as my wife calls endless monotonous soloing.

$ally

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I play the flute and the piano. My fella plays tuba and accordion. If we get Sally in the mix, I believe we almost have a Zydeco band.
Just in time for Mardi Gras! My son can do the handheld percussion. I want a washboard shirt like this, but don't they make 'em in my...er...shape:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fm86K1Yq-AQ

GwenLake said:
Not really a tip, but I had no problems flying with my violin as my carry-on in 2006.
Oh good to hear. I'm afraid security will dig through my case and look in my f-hole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

J.B.

Practically Family
$ally said:
...Oh good to hear. I'm afraid security will dig through my case and look in my f-hole...

coffeespit.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters