Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interviewing for Banana Republic...

Jovan

Suspended
What should I wear? I was considering, at the least, just a dark shirt tucked into trousers with black shoes, but also considering going in a white shirt with a black knit tie and jacket. Their dress code merely requires a collared shirt with non-jeans.

Suggestions? If anyone has worked or has known someone who has worked there, it would help immensely. Thanks.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you're interviewing for a store position, rather than corporate ...

Suggestion # 1: Wear clothes that were made by Banana Republic.

Suggestion # 2: Look at photos of the models on Banana Republic's website. Try to dress like them.

Suggestion # 3: Observe how the store's manager is dressed. Observe how the store's "best" salespeople are dressed. Dress like them.

Jovan

Suspended
Marc: I have a pair of glen plaid trousers I'm considering wearing, but don't own any shirts by them. (Any solid colour should work.) I've seen a couple of guys that work there who wear a tie or a jacket, but strangely not both.

Bebop

Practically Family
It depends on the position for which you are applying but I have done some business with them when they had their corp. headquaters in S.F. and it seems most were dressed in polo shirts and khakis. I did see a few people with shirt and ties but I believe they were sales people getting ready to hit the streets. I felt overdressed in a sport coat. I dealt with their legal dept. and human resources.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
In my online application they made me identify "business casual" from a few different images of men's clothing. I would say business casual is the way to go, since they deemed it important enough to put on the application! A nice dress shirt and khakis would probably be fine.

Any tips for the ladies? I might have an interview with them tomorrow!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cigar?!! Most of their salespeople look like they don't even eat, let alone smoke.

Do wear BR type clothes, but remember that the best salesman may not look like the best dressed salesman. Pay attention to the current look in the stores, even if you don't particularly care for it.

Hope you're skinny as a stick. I see slightly bigger women working at BR, but not men.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
You know your environment better than I do. I recall some advice given to me when I was interviewing: "Dress for the position you aspire to, not the one you are applying for." It shows respect for the company and the person you will be interviewing with.
Having said that, retail clothing might be a totally different situation. The other advice given here seems to be to "Know your audience."
Again, you know the people you have been talking to, and probably have a gut feel as to what to do.
Good luck!

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
I used to work there... enjoyed it but the mix tape they played aaaaallllllllllll summer started to melt my brain... I'd say looking around at the specific BR you're going to work at and getting ideas from how the employees dress is a good idea, as I find the ones around where I live at least have a pretty different style at each store. Basically what everyone else here has already said, and be friendly and if anything overly upbeat and enthusiastic, they seem to like that and a lot of the people who work there are unnaturally perky. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about working there.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Inquiring minds want to know....

Jovan said:
What should I wear? I was considering, at the least, just a dark shirt tucked into trousers with black shoes, but also considering going in a white shirt with a black knit tie and jacket. Their dress code merely requires a collared shirt with non-jeans.

Suggestions? If anyone has worked or has known someone who has worked there, it would help immensely. Thanks.

So, how did the interview go?

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Did you send a thank you e-mail to them. That always helps!

You'd be an asset to any retail clothier. What young man has such a great sense of fashion and all that knowledge and expertise.

Jovan, I'm sure you gave a fine interview and if it doesn't pan out with BR, than it's their loss. Just put the experience under your belt and forge on to some other company.

Anyway, good luck with the call tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24