Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing "Bwana"

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Scarlet lining in my Bawana Hat.

BellyTank said:
Sharp, I've read about red hat linings before- the German Afrika Korps had red lining in their caps and also the Victorian English in India and Africa had red linings in their Pith helmets and get this 'spine protectors', a cloth cover for your back-
This thing about red was not based in science and is claptrap- they thought one could protect ones self from not only the burning heat on the skin but 'internal' heat damage- they thought the spine was detrimentally affected by the sun.
The spine protector caused more cases of heat stroke than any other factor-
So- there's no truth in it really-

-why not green?

Pith helmets used to be aluminium lined though, for coolness-

B
T

You know!!
It may be a wise tail but I want a scarlet lining in mine. :cool2:

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fedora at COW>

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wear my felt hats year round. Heck, if it worked for the cowpokes, it will work for me too. Now, my summer felt hats have the liner removed. Or, you could do like the Germans did on their hot weather hats/caps when fighting in the deserts. Install crimson liners. Supposedly, these helped remove the heat, and worked better than having no liner. Just found that out last week!! Fedora

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
But...

But... that red lining thing's not true... doesn't help keep your head cool at all-
-just looks nice.
Some think that the Afrika Korps cap's red lining was for signalling, some think it's for the heat thing- the Colonial British did the same thing with red-
basically an Old Wives' Tale-

The aluminium inner shell in the Pith helmet worked better!

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Scarlet hat liners

I spoke to Art on Sunday. He is trying to find Scarlet hat liners and waiting on his stamps to come in for the Roan leather sweat bands. :) Rome wasn't built in a day!! :cry: ;) :cry:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gentlemen...we almost have ignition!!!

I have a new Bwana on the block and in working with it last night ( yes, I finally got some time..argggg) and made some decisions with it.
First, I won't use the double body design as I feel it is too heavy and is very difficult to block. I don't think it will hold it for long. So, I double blocked it, then cut out the crown of the inner body after sewing the two together. MUCH more managable!! We still have the double brim but not the weight. I have had new stamps for the leather cut and expect them soon ( maybe today). I can locate red liners but there is a minimum purchase that makes it pretty unatractive so I will ask if white will do for now as I work out the logistics. ( and save money). The second will go on the block today but I have to leave for Santa Monica for what will be my last Vintage clothing show tomorrow so progress will have to wait till next week.

I have to let you guys know that the time of my having to leave for Oregon for the summer is racing at me. I am supposed to close on the property on May 10, then start the construction May 11. From that point on it's a race to see how fast I can be up and running. Next week will be my last week in the shop for several months and I will do my best to get these two hats done before I leave.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nice!
The hat's shape and aspect is quite in line with the
British Colonial Slouch hats.
Is that Pug' the finished article?
If you're looking for constructive input,
I'd like to see a pugaree that's a little more substantial, robust,
a tad heavier, a little more rustic/less refined, more texture-
maybe a ligtweight linen(?)- and maybe in a subtle shade which
tones a bit more with the hat rather than contrasting so much against it.
A couple of pleats wouldn't go amiss and would visually 'lower' the height of the pug.
This is my considered opinion.

If you're not looking for constructive input, I apologise in advance-
Nice hat.

Happy Friday-

B
T

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi BT,
Sorry, I have been swamped with trying to close down the store. Nope, no feedback from either Sharptoys or MD...don't quite know what to think but I have to officially shut the hat shop down for the summer of construction.
I agree with you about the pugaree. This is my first attempt to make one and it is obviously a learning experience. I can have them made once the material is right but there is a minimum of 10 dozen which I hesitate to do with only 2 orders ( tentative) facing me.
I don't know how much time I will have in the next few months but haven't given up on this project.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
thank you BT...the papers were signed this week and Sunday night I go back up with a trailer full of tools so....I'm off to the races!!
I'll be checking into the Lounge periodically so have a good summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany