Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing "Bwana"

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Well BT,

I was shooing for a hat close to the lower two photos - the "newer" looking one. I believe this is the same hat in the comparison collage I posted. It has a less tapered, more defined crown, more distressed pugaree or whatever, and a more dynamic brim.

The hat in the top 2 photos of the collage you posted looks like either a different hat altogether or a weather beaten version of the hat I was shooting for, which is what the proto is closer to anyway.

This "newer" Granger seems to have a WIDE brim and short crown. Then again, I seriously could be mistaken. I presume nothing.

Mike

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
MDFrench said:
Well BT,

I was shooing for a hat close to the lower two photos - the "newer" looking one. I believe this is the same hat in the comparison collage I posted. It has a less tapered, more defined crown, more distressed pugaree or whatever, and a more dynamic brim.

The hat in the top 2 photos of the collage you posted looks like either a different hat altogether or a weather beaten version of the hat I was shooting for, which is what the proto is closer to anyway.

This "newer" Granger seems to have a WIDE brim and short crown. Then again, I seriously could be mistaken. I presume nothing.

Mike

Art ,
Is at the shop and he will look into this when he gets home later. He said it would be very easy to make these adjustments. He hopes! :)

The shop # is 1-800-636-1410

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The top one looks more like what I think a 'Safari' hat looks like- don't know about you. I prefer the bottom one, I like the higher, straighter crown.
You know what I mean by 'Safari' style- like the Akubras and other types that are named 'Safari'.
Looking at them again- they seem to be 2 distinctly different hats-
-to me at least.
The top one has an almost Pith Helmet aspect and silhouette and the front view seems to show more side-taper and less height.

Happy Easter-

BT.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Dorian Safari

BellyTank said:
CPR9985092indjnsht.jpg

Hey Art- did you see this one?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws...&item=6519679399&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

...it's eBay item 6519679399 'live auction'

Interesting, if nothing else...

BT.

This is made by Dorian. I wonder how the seller knows how old it is. Because I bought a new Dorian (made in So Africa) Safari similar to this hat in the mid 80's. It had a pugaree band on it. It was a nice hat. I got it from a used record store in Denver that had bought up the remaining stock of Dorian hats. I paid $15 for it. I sold it a couple of years ago because it was getting too small. Knowing what I know now about reblocking and hat stretching I realize that I should have kept it.

Oh well. LIve and learn.

Mike

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's probably nonsense- that piece of fluff doesn't look like it fits very well- it probably had a pug' too- now it has 'zebra'. or striped goat, or something.
A good represetation of a Safari style hat though, I guess.
Did yours have a similar makers 'stamp' inside the crown?

BT.

Michael D

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
Did yours have a similar makers 'stamp' inside the crown?

Oh, yeah. It was identical to the stamp (more like a decal) shown in the picture. That's why I wonder about it's age because mine was the same inside. Mine was a nice hat and a steal at $15 even in 1986.

When this whole thread on the Quatermain hat started I looked at the movie poster and thought "Hey! Isn't that the South African safari hat I used to have?" Then when I saw the ebay hat I remembered that it was made by Dorian.

Does anyone remember the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy"? That takes place in the bush in South Africa. The main character wears a hat (probably a Dorian) that is very much like the one I had. In fact it is similar to the Quatermain hat without the double brim.

Mike

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
Does anyone know the real reason for the double brim?
Perhaps, when buying a hat, a fella put one on and determined that it was too thin and plopped another body right on top of it. He would peel the top layer off during extreme heat and put it on for rain protection during the monsoon season. Then, in order to soak up the gallons of sweat produces from wearing such a thick hat, he grabbed a khaki scarf and wrapped it around the hat at the band line. This also helped to keep it tightly in place by sinching in down well. Also, the scarf could be unfolded and draped down over his face to protect him from mosquitos, bee keeper style. Or maybe the guy simply didn't want to carry his extra hat in a hat box?

BTW Make mine a triple :p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The original thread explored this point in some detail- but the main thing seems to be the Gurkha Regiment's Slouch Hat- 2 hats, 1 inside the other in order to retain the perfectly straight brim,(unlike Granger's) correct for their Regimental look. The movie hat seems to have taken inspiration from the Gurkha hat, at least in a theatrical sense. The Gurkha hats are made from quite heavy, coarse felt. Being able to cut a Regimental dash under hot, damp hat deflating conditions seems to be a reason. All the other Commonwealth Slouch hats are single thickness.

Re-read the original thread for more insights- only 150 posts in that thread- so far...
-Enjoy!
BT.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
WOW...lot's of comments. This is good!!
I talked to Sharpie today and realized you are right MD, the crown is too high so I have taken it apart and am going for "round 2". I disagree with the brim width however. In studying the pics I really think this isn't much more than 3" but will try to get 3 1/4 out of the new block. I think it's somewhat of an optical illusion and my reasons have to do with the "breakline". The movie hat doesn't have a crisp breakline, kindof sloping down from the pugaree and not breaking crisply giving it a longer look than it really is. In the profile shots the rear of the hat shows up more clearly the width. Heck, it's all guesswork at this point..lets just keep going till it looks more accurate.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Thanks for that perspective Art. Again, I knew my eye wasn't as hat savvy as yours. Now that I look again, the lowering of the crown would "widen" the brim optically. 3 1/4" brim possibly? I must admit that sounds very cool. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea though.

As for the pugaree, what are your thoughts? Is it possible to source a lighter colored one? What are your observations on the pleating versus the "crunching" of the Granger one?

Thanks again for everything Art!

Mike

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MD, I think we need to continue working with crown height & brim width till we think it's close, then address the pugaree. Since it will be custom made ( I will have to find the right material, then send it off) we can vary it (width) until it looks right, but only after figuring out the rest. I have to tell you it goes a bit against my grain to try to COPY another's hat instead of using it as a jumping off point to create my own. Somehow copying doesn't feel right to my artistic self so please know that I am struggling a bit with that. I would hate to get caught up in "screen acurate" and "scene acurate" details like the Indy phenomina. It's not a bad thing, just doesn't fit my looser style.
So, what do ya say that we work on getting it close in dimensions, then stylizing from there?

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey Art,

No problem. I'm not a screen accuracy hound either. I too am just wanting something that will give off the overall impression of the hat, not an exact copy. You and I are truly on the same page in that respect. I guess for me the really important details lie in the look of the brim/crown height relationship.

You won't see me getting out virtual rulers or anything. Art, I trust your judgment as a hatter over a lot of "sticklerism" as I call it, of which I have much suffered within the Indy community as they argue over the exact angle of the front pinch on profile, etc etc.

Thanks for being so accomodating, but seriously, DON'T go against your design philosophy - if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Again, I'm just wanting the overall look, not a dent for dent, swoop for swoop, inch for inch duplication. Granger's head is not my head, so that wouldn't make sense anyway.

All the best,
Mike

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Since, I will never have the money to buy one of these, I do hope you guys don't mind me continuing to stick my oar into the thread, but I kind of feel an emotional kinship to this hat and thread especially since it led to a nice little excursion into the history of the fedora in the hat article I am working on.

I feel you are both on the right wavelength here. I have aways thought a wearable hat based upon a movie should look like something you would have worn if they had written you into the script rather than what the star wore. In other words a style that fits in rather than a copy of one of the hats already there. It seems like that is the way you guys are leaning. Nice.

BellyTank said:

...does this brim tickle your fancy?

BT.[/QUOTE]

BT, I think you have got something there. Art, do you think you can make me one of these? A six inch brim ought to be about right. ;) :p
If they make bodies that big it will be amazing. :rolleyes: If they make them big enough to get one to fit me then it will be a miracle. :eek: :clap

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24