Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

rmdan14

New in Town
Hello,

My name is Regina, i am new to this forum but not to retro/antique clothing. I am a full time student, Civil War Reenactor and hobby seamstress. I've attached a link to a photo of me in one of my dresses, I'm on the left. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10438&id=1129425778#/photo.php?pid=199947&id=1129425778

I'm here because my local fabric store is running a kids and teens class called Project Fabricland. It's a spin off of Project Runway. Anyway our theme this year os 'Make it Retro.' Infact our celebrity guest this year will be Kenley Collins from Porject Runway. Now this theme for me this is an open invitation to make a retro garment. I've decided to make a retro cotton summer dress. The reenactor in me compels me to be as accurate as possible which means I have been scouring the Internet for info on 1940's hair and makeup. This is how I ended up in this forum.

Anyway, to my point, I have a couple of questions. As a CW reenactor I don't/can't wear my dresses much outside an event. Is this a life style for you or is it more of a once in a while type thing. If it is a life style, as it apears, I applaude you all. It's easy to throw on jeans and a tee shirt as I do everyday, it's a whole different ball game to get up do your hair, make up and dress nicely every day. I might just consider it for the near future but only if I can figure out how to do my hair lol. I did pin curls but i hurt my scalp & half the day I looked like a poodle. This weekend I will be trying rag curls. Before the show I would like to be able to do Victory rolls but that might be asking too much.

Also, I did search the forum but I was not able to find the answers to my questions. Would it be weird to wear a felt hat in the summer, I think if I can get my hair done and have a hat it would look really sharp. Are there any easy and/or free hat designs/patterns that a sewer without millinery exp & 10+ years under he belt figure out. As much as a love the hats I've seen on Etsy, as a college student I don't have $50 to $100 if not more lying around for a hat I won't wear that often right now.

Thank you so much for you help
Regina

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi rmdan14,

Welcome :)

You are covering a lot of ground in this post. I encourage you to look around, search some of the established threads, most of what you are asking can be found discussed in length.

We have multiple discussions on vintage life styles not only in the Powder Room, but also in other forums on the board.

Good Luck!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou