Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Fisherman's Sweater

Musher

One of the Regulars
This is a merino wool honeycomb and cable Aran
20210417_133516.jpg
sweater I bought several years ago from the Aran Woolen Mills.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I like the different meanings of the various stiches used in Aran sweaters. Although some say that is just a marketing ploy.
Yes, I know what you mean, I think, like the traditional Guernseys made in the UK Channel Islands, the various stitching's/knitting patterns denoted different seaman as many of them were fishermen and it helped in identification in the case of accidents.

Musher

One of the Regulars
I'd like to buy on of the hand-knit clan sweaters from the Aran Sweater Market next to add to the collection Stevieboy1. They are 2 pounds heavier than the machine knit ones that they sell. $200 but they seem worth it. Maybe next year. There is a nice video about Aran sweaters on their web page. (I don't have any Irish blood so I don't belong to a clan.)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I like the different meanings of the various stiches used in Aran sweaters. Although some say that is just a marketing ploy.
Yes, I know what you mean, I think, like the traditional Guernseys made in the UK Channel Islands, the various stitching's/knitting patterns denoted different seaman as many of them were fishermen and it helped in identification in the case of accidents.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'd like to buy on of the hand-knit clan sweaters from the Aran Sweater Market next to add to the collection Stevieboy1. They are 2 pounds heavier than the machine knit ones that they sell. $200 but they seem worth it. Maybe next year. There is a nice video about Aran sweaters on their web page. (I don't have any Irish blood so I don't belong to a clan.)

I think of clans as more of a Scottish than Irish phenomenon. I have Scots-Irish heritage but am culturally English and European (sort of the opposite of my Sussex-made Aran sweater!). While I am Irish enough to be able to acquire an Irish passport, that is only because I want to remain a citizen of the EU and have the right to live, work and move freely across Europe. There’s a lot about Irish culture that means nothing to me - the religious sectarianism, for example, is completely foreign to me!

Musher

One of the Regulars
I have worn Arans with pretty much all of those patterns as I have been wearing these sweaters since - I don’t know - I think I had my first one when I was about 4 years old and I’ve not been without one since then.
I have only been buying the real Irish ones the last 4 years. The first one was from Aran Woolen Mills and it had a card in it explaining the symbols. I did not know that they meant anything. I have had a Mexican knock off for about 25 years. It is very heavy wool and I wear it when doing doing my kennel chores in the morning.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have only been buying the real Irish ones the last 4 years. The first one was from Aran Woolen Mills and it had a card in it explaining the symbols. I did not know that they meant anything. I have had a Mexican knock off for about 25 years. It is very heavy wool and I wear it when doing doing my kennel chores in the morning.

A Mexican Aran. ... Well, I have seen Irish-Mexican restaurants in the US: I think the chain was called Carlos Murphy. This was some years back and so maybe doesn’t exist. It was also in the Western states and so I don’t know whether it existed back East.
Neither Irish nor Mexican is my favourite gastronomically speaking... give me Italian anytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner