Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Marv said:
I have to agree, I wouldn't say the fleece is any longer in pile length than my ELC just more of it making it more bulky as this goes the same for the entire jacket.
The AL feels a lot more bulky than the ELC, I personally prefer the ELC as it feels more comfortable and less restrictive in movement.
I would say that my ELC back length sits just below the belt line on your average pair of jeans where as the AL sits just over the top of the back pockets area so I would say maybe only 3 inches length difference.
Hope that helps.........:)

You are right Marv. The AL is bulky - or a bit "stiff". Something you have to get used to. But it always surprises me, when I wear it the first couple of times each winter.
Later on I just enjoy the warmth:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
That's a great looking jacket you've got there Spitfire! You'll look quite the part in it :)

And thanks for the tips on the length difference Marv, that's enormously helpful. I have emailed Gary at Eastman and he has replied stating that they can increase the length albeit not too much otherwise it will ruin the look of the jacket. Your estimation of 3 inches sounds roughly what he has in mind. He's asked for my height and chest measurement which I have sent and I have asked how much extra it will be with the extra length. I'll post his reply when it comes through.

At this stage I am still veering towards the 1940 Pattern Eastman which I've liked the look of since I saw it at their website a few years ago.

Thanks Smithy.
If I had to buy a new one, I would also go for the 1940 pattern Eastman.
It's a matter of taste and style, but there is something about the early ones.
Battle of Britain, the Few....that kind of stuff.
Hope you get it before you arrive in Norway;)

Johnny English

New in Town
If you want to be warm ( and look like father christmas ) get the Aviation Leather Irvin, but if you want be cooooool , get the ELC 1940. It's the Biz !

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's right Spitfire it is cheaper. I've had a good look at it over the net and I prefer the ELC, can't quite put a finger on it or tell you why in specifics.

It doesn't look to be a bad Irvin repro at all though.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have sold my late war multi-panel Irvin as it was a little small and bought a larger one of the same date, with the original label. The sleeve zips need replacing. I will upload pictures when this is done. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looking forward to the pics. You have a very, very nice collection of Irvins there and in great condition.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Archetypal vintage flying jacket!! great collection.

I've always loved the Irvin, and to see a beautiful original conjures up images of young boys in the 1940's flying in the Battle of Britain, or the Dambusters!! all heroic images from my childhood that I have carried with me now into middle age. Wonderful collection. Thanks so much for sharing the photos, as you can gauge from the Boy's response here, they are loving it!

aswatland

Mid 1930s Irvin

My mid 1930s Irvin has finally arrived from the US. Its previous owner restored it, replacing the main zip with a DOT British zip, which was a little too short. So I have put on a full length Lightning as getting a longer correct DOT British one will be difficult. I realy don't want to ruin my Irvin trousers by removing the DOT British zip! Some of the seam tapes have been replaced. The original sleeve zips are DOT Deco zips, which would date the jacket to the mid 30s, if I'm correct. It is either made by Irvin Air Chute, or more likely by Wareings. The belt loops are wide as on other Wareing Jackets I have owned or own and the original seam tapes are narrower than on the pre-war jackets made by Irvin Air Chute that I have seen. What do members think? The first picture is the jacket with the short DOT Biritish main zip.
11.jpg

61.jpg

Irvin30sa.jpg

Irvin30sc.jpg

Irvin30sb.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Aswatland,

I saw this over at the RAF reenactors forum. Looks great. I much prefer the early "big panel" Irvins, they're my faves.

Have you used (or are you going to) anything to dress the leather, and if so what? Leather just looks a little dry in places but then it might be the pics.

Very nice find!

aswatland

Smithy said:
Hi Aswatland,

I saw this over at the RAF reenactors forum. Looks great. I much prefer the early "big panel" Irvins, they're my faves.

Have you used (or are you going to) anything to dress the leather, and if so what? Leather just looks a little dry in places but then it might be the pics.

Very nice find!

I have used a couple of coats of Pecards. The leather is supple now!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've heard good things about Pecards and I believe a lot of museums use it.

That Irvin's got a lot of life left in her yet!

aswatland

1933 IRVIN

Last week I bought another Irvin flying jacket on Ebay to add to my collection. I knew it was a pre-War Irvin, but was amazed to find that it is dated 1933. The label does not have the contract number, which Paddy's 1935 jacket has. The label is identical to the one in Prodger's book from 1932. Also it has features which are very different from Paddy's jacket, such as the colour of the zip tapes, the positioning of the horizontal sleeve tapes and the hanging strap, which is a single leather strip, rather than a chain. Early Irvins are exceptionally rare.

The muti-panel construction of this jacket proves that one can't date an Irvin simply by the way it was constructed. This jacket at first glance looks like a mid war Irvin. The brass zip pulls are marked Dot made in England and the slider bucket is unmarked. We know that the AM and crown was not placed on zip pulls until 1940. The leather pulls are original, as is the collar securing strap. This is another great find!

1933Irvin.jpg

1933Irvin1.jpg

1933Irvin2.jpg

1933Irvin3.jpg

1933Irvin4.jpg

1933Irvin6.jpg

1933Irvin7.jpg

1933Irvin8.jpg

1933Irvin10.jpg

1933Irvin11.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

A magnificent looking jacket. It looks in great shape for its age. Is it stiff? Do you feel you could be very physical wearing without damaging it?

You should have brought it to our London get together last week.

aswatland

MK said:
A magnificent looking jacket. It looks in great shape for its age. Is it stiff? Do you feel you could be very physical wearing without damaging it?

You should have brought it to our London get together last week.

No, it is quite supple and strong. I shall only wear it very occasionally as I don't wish to damage it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
What a find! That is an absolute beauty and all that history. You can just imagine a pilot on a coolish morning walking out to his Hawker Fury in that...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
1932 Irvin

It is interesting to compare the features of Andrew's exceptional jacket with an Irvin from 1932 - the first year of production. Note the collar buckle (later jackets used 'D' rings) and the arms have a plain or inverted (rather than covered) vertical seam and no horizontal seams on body or arms. It also has no fittings for the collar erection strap. This jacket belonged to four generations of an RAF family, saw service throughout the war, and was used and almost daily for gardening and motorcycling for some years afterwards.

OldestIrvinFront.jpg

OldestIrvinCollarBuckle.jpg

OldestIrvinSeams.jpg

OldestIrvinNeck.jpg

OldestIrvinLabel.jpg

It is the same as the civilian Irvinsuits but is definitely AM issue.

Alan

aswatland

It is really interesting to see the pictures of the 1932 Irvin. It proves that IAC, the first manufacturer, had more than one style of panel construction in the early '30s-the four panel and the eight panel. It also proves that the number of panels can't be used as a conclusive guide to when Irvins were made. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic