Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Aero Goatskin Chrome Tanned or Vegetable Tanned?

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
I've always wondered about Aero Goatskin... Is it chrome or Vegetable Tanned? Also, How do you fine gentlemen think it measures up against G&B Goatskin? Thank you in advance for the responses.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The G&B is some of the finest, thickest goat I have ever seen but it doesn't have quite the visual character of the Aero goat I've seen. Aero's are less shiny (naked?) and pre-washed, I think. Don't know about the processing. The G&B takes a long time to loose it's new look. You'll be able to pass it onto your grand children - if that matters to you.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero goat:

- Ultra thick, sometimes twice as thick as G+B goat
- Vegetable tanned using quebracho and oak bark tannins which result in a light milk chocolate base colour of the leather
- Semi aniline seal spray finish on top which leaves a semi glossy slightly mottled appearance
- Due to vegetable tanning much stiffer than chrome tanned hides
- A goatskin that must be seen, held and weighed to be fully appreciated

G+B

- Very good A-grade hides which are usually flawless
- Chrome tanned
- Drum dyed (i.e. the dye fully penetrates the leather...no difference in colour between surface and the flesh side)
- Finished leather is much softer and more pliable than Aero's veg tanned hide but also thinner and probably less abrasion resistant
- Due to chrome tanning and drum dying the leather doesn't age as nicely as veg tanned and spray finished hides do.

Some pics of Aero's goat:

Mottled finish

4975773687_4feb09ef1e_z.jpg

Pebbly grain/thick hide

4976376220_ca132cd109_z.jpg

Almost FQHH weight...Cheyenne in seal goat

3509712599_5c26a76aaf.jpg

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
does Aero still make jackets in goat ...not mentioned that I saw on the website (Scotland). Does anyone have a comparison with US Authentic goat ..esp. vs. Gibson & Barnes ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting info Jan. All the G&B goat I've seen is about 2.5 to 3 oz thick. I personally wouldn't want it any thicker. G&B will do veg dyed goat too. Aero have much better patterns than G&B

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero will make M422as, A2s and civilian jackets up to size 40/42 (depending on model) out of goat. No 3/4 length jackets at the moment due to lack of larger hides.
The biggest skins are mainly reserved for one-piece A2 backs.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Look at the cut edge of the throat latch: Paler base colour with spray finish top coat. A clear sign of veg tanned skins.
A chrome tanned skin (if left undyed) would show a blue-white base colour due to the chrome salt tanning agents. Therefore most chrome tanned hides are drum dyed and pigment finished.

Last edited:
Aero will make M422as, A2s and civilian jackets up to size 40/42 (depending on model) out of goat. No 3/4 length jackets at the moment due to lack of larger hides.
The biggest skins are mainly reserved for one-piece A2 backs.

I actually have a M422a on order at the moment with Aero..size 46.
I take a size 44 regularly..but they recommended going up a size as this is a slim design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy