Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is An Open Road an Open Road if it Doesn't Say Open Road?

I dig the lid, 'dog. It's a Stetson 100 No Model Name, eh? Certainly OR-ish, but a tad wider of brim and perhaps taller of crown than your average Open Road. And raw edged (as opposed to bound). And the ribbon looks like one of those Western types, with a couple of rows (stitching, is it?) running its length. And the bow has those long, loose tails. All in all, a bit more on the cowboy side than most.

How'd it come your way?

Justdog

Practically Family

tonyb said:
I dig the lid, 'dog. It's a Stetson 100 No Model Name, eh? Certainly OR-ish, but a tad wider of brim and perhaps taller of crown than your average Open Road. And raw edged (as opposed to bound). And the ribbon looks like one of those Western types, with a couple of rows (stitching, is it?) running its length. And the bow has those long, loose tails. All in all, a bit more on the cowboy side than most.

Funny I posted in New hats and the opinion was definately not OR ;)
It looks wider but is actually the same as all my ORs. The ribbon is pictured on a hat , maybe the mustang, in a 50s add posted on FL. It is stiff like a 25 and a 20 I have. Sure like to know how to get the stiffness out. The 20 I pictured is unbound as well. All my other ORs are bound. Be nice to find a concise history of this hat style. Came from the US of A What is your take on OR brim size? The crown seems the same as my others , if I unblock and unbash them. Personally I like the crown at least 5 as I wear them low on the brow. Exeption to this is the true cattelman that takes it up a fair bit. Thanks for the comments
Had add a I just measured. The Royal deluxe OR was 7mm the 100 is 7mm the LO OR 25 6.5mm
The rest between 6.5 but short of 7mm. This was more accurate than imperial. The unbound edge when set beside the bound looks bigger but it is an illusion.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Justdog said:
Funny I posted in New hats and the opinion was definately not OR ;)
It looks wider but is actually the same as all mr ORs. The ribbon is pictured on a hat , maybe the mustang, in a 50s add posted on FL. It is stiff like a 25 and a 20 I have. Sure like to know how to get the stiffness out. The 20 I pictured is inbound as well. All my other ORs are bound. Be nice to find a concise history of this hat style. Came from the US of A What is your take on OR brim size? The crown seams the same as my others , if I unblock and unbash them. Personally I like the crown at least 5 as I wear them low on the brow. Exeption to this is the true cattelman that takes it up a fair bit. Thanks for the comments

Justdog I got a Stetson 25 thinking it was an O.R. before I knew any better.

stetson25.jpg

auction photo

I was P.O.'d it wasn't what I wanted, shiped it off to Optimo in Chicago and, for a c-note, they returned this to me:
optimo25fr2.jpg

optimo25threequarters.jpg

optimo25sidetop.jpg

You always have options, being the point, I guess.

Justdog

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
Justdog I got a Stetson 25 thinking it was an O.R. before I knew any better.

stetson25.jpg

auction photo

I was P.O.'d it wasn't what I wanted, shiped it off to Optimo in Chicago and, for a c-note, they returned this to me: http://i57

Sweet fedora. I have nooo issues with the OR style as it can be bashed and morphed by hand to fit the mood. I love the crease in the 100. You guys made me measure all the brims on my hats as I was curious lol Work like yours is hard to come by.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought a new Straw "Open Road," at the Stetson/Resistol/HATCO Factory Outlet Store, In Garland, TX.

P1070553.jpg

The sweatband is not stamped "Open Road," but the paper inventory tag clearly says "Open Road."

P1070556.jpg

From this, and from the comments of others, it seems the company has not always stamped the model on the sweatband. I used to throw those paper tags away, but after reading this thread, I deecided to keep it. Otherwise, somewhere down the road, somebody would say, "That's not a real Open Road, It's a XXXXXX Genuine Shantung Panama!" (That's what the sweatband says.) :D

I had a 1999 OR that is now Sam's that had no marking on the sweatband but had clear Open Road marking on a tag behind it. I think the older models most always had Open Road designation even tho I have a Stetson 25 that does not but is exactly like a Stetson 20 that clearly stated Open Road. Go figure? [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
No way to figure it.

I have that green Stetson Royal DeLuxe which screams Open Road all the way, but does not proclaim it in print anywhere on the hat. When I was in Memphis at a TFL meet-up a couple years ago, I was right in the middle of describing this hat to the gang when a young lady strolled into the lobby of the Peabody where we were all comparing hats. She lives in that area and had seen in the TFL Events thread that we would be there. She had just been GIVEN a hat JUST LIKE mine for FREE by someone who heard she likes vintage items. Her hat was an exact clone of mine, but hers had the Open Road imprint inside.

Weird.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy