Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it 2008 or 1958?? - Retro marriage, 21st century-style

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
(LifeWire) -- "What do you do all day?" is a question Anne Marie Davis, 34, says she gets a lot. Stay-at-home wives represent a growing niche, according to the author of "The Secrets of Happily Married Women." Davis, who lives in Lewisville, Texas, isn't a mother, nor does she telecommute. She is a stay-at-home wife, which makes her something of a pioneer in the post-feminist world.

Ten years ago, she was an "overwhelmed" high school English teacher. "I didn't have time for my husband, " she says, "and I didn't have a life." She presented the idea of staying home to her husband, a Web engineer. "I told him it was something I wanted to do, and he supported it. It was a great relief."

Dr. Scott Haltzman, author of "The Secrets of Happily Married Women," says stay-at-home wives constitute a growing niche. "In the past few years, many women who are well educated and trained for career tracks have decided instead to stay at home," he says. While his research is ongoing, he estimates that more than 10 percent of the 650 women he's interviewed who choose to stay home are childless.

Daniel Buccino, a Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine clinical social worker and psychotherapist, says stay-at-home wives are the latest "status symbols."

"It says, 'We make enough money that we both don't need to work outside the home,'" he says. "And especially with the recent economic pressures, a stay-at-home spouse is often an extreme and visible luxury."

June Cleaver, minus Beaver and Wally
Davis says her life isn't luxurious. "Tuesdays are my laundry day," she says. "I go grocery shopping on Wednesdays and clean house on Thursdays." Mondays and Fridays are reserved for appointments and other errands. But her schedule also allows for charity work and leisure: reading, creative writing and exploring new hobbies, like sewing.

It's a lifestyle, Davis says, that has made her happier and brought her closer to her husband. "We're no longer stressed out," she says; because she takes care of the home, there are virtually no "honey-do" lists to hand over.

Stay-at-home guilt

"If you told me years ago that I was going to be a stay-at-home wife, I would have laughed at you," says Catherine Zoerb, 27. Yet after the Wichita, Kansas, resident finished graduate school in 2005, she found herself unemployed, childless -- and strangely happy. With her husband's support, Zoerb decided to just stay home.

"I was able to clip coupons, do all the chores and make nice dinners," she says. "I was much less stressed and tense."

But she was concerned, too -- about not using her master's degree in English and how future employers would view her work history. "I worried about gaps in my resume," she says. And there was something else: "I thought about the feminist movement -- all those women who worked so hard so that I could go out and have a good career, and I was kind of saying 'no thanks.'"

Recently, Zoerb took a temporary job at an engineering firm. It will boost her resume, and although the Zoerbs don't need the money, it will help pay down their mortgage. Still, she hopes to return to stay-at-home wifedom soon.

"I'd never say that a woman shouldn't work," she says. "But I don't see what good it would do to work in a job that I couldn't stand, and if I have the choice not to, why wouldn't I take that opportunity?"

Retro marriage, 21st century-style

"Everyone seems to be OK with women staying home when they have kids," says Davis, who currently doesn't plan to have children. "I've actually heard people say that women who don't work are a drain on society."

Don't be too quick to judge, says Haltzman. Women might give up a job to focus on an advanced degree, pursue artistic or creative goals, or deal with health issues.

Surprisingly, though, Haltzman says the biggest draw is homemaking itself. "Many women I talk to take care of the household seriously, and they want to focus on caring for the home, whether or not it involves children."

Sometimes a wife's desires don't align with her husband's. "I hear frustration from men whose wives choose not to work," Haltzman says, "but only if there are financial stresses. One of the realities is that few men appreciate the scope and difficulties of managing a household."

Kirk Zoerb is an exception: The 27-year-old engineer says he's happiest when his wife is jobless.

"When Catherine stays at home, I feel the house is more together because she has the time to do things like in-depth cleaning and can be more attentive to the garden," he says. "She also has more time to find good deals at secondhand stores, garage sales and at grocery stores." As a couple, he says, "we have more energy and are generally emotionally healthier."

Still, "I don't believe that the woman has to be the exclusive cook, cleaner or shopper, and I don't believe the man must be the breadwinner. I wouldn't mind staying at home while Catherine works!"

Originally taken from http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/05/lw.nokids.nojob.wives/index.html_________________________________________________________________

The Shirt

Practically Family
Me and Mine fight over who gets to be the stay at home portion. I would do it in a heartbeat if we made enough money to support it.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
This is something I have always wanted....even if it is for nothing more than taking a rest from working for a while..

I talk to stay at home moms who say they are bored.. really? I will show you how to NOT be bored.. LOL

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Wow! That's me!

We don't make enough that I think of myself as in a luxury position. We made the conscious choice to live more simply to make this lifestyle possible. We do without a lot of little luxuries than many people consider essentials. We don't go to movies more than about once a year. My husband is the only one with a cell phone. We don't have cable. We're a one car family. We really don't go out and do a lot of stuff that costs money.

My hubby appreciates that we can eat within a half hour of his arrival home, and often it can be more involved dishes since I am here to cook it. He also likes how much cleaner the house is now that I stay home. I do pretty much all of the work around the house, including doing the landscaping of our new home. But I love being a housewife.
I do hope to have children (crosses fingers), but we've discussed it, and it is our shared opinion that house keeping and childcare are really two full-time jobs, so once we have children, the Mister will pitch in a little more around the house so the children can be my primary focus.

It's nice to know I'm not an utter freak though...;)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
Wow! That's me!

We don't make enough that I think of myself as in a luxury position. We made the conscious choice to live more simply to make this lifestyle possible. We do without a lot of little luxuries than many people consider essentials. We don't go to movies more than about once a year. My husband is the only one with a cell phone. We don't have cable. We're a one car family. We really don't go out and do a lot of stuff that costs money.

My hubby appreciates that we can eat within a half hour of his arrival home, and often it can be more involved dishes since I am here to cook it. He also likes how much cleaner the house is now that I stay home. I do pretty much all of the work around the house, including doing the landscaping of our new home. But I love being a housewife.
I do hope to have children (crosses fingers), but we've discussed it, and it is our shared opinion that house keeping and childcare are really two full-time jobs, so once we have children, the Mister will pitch in a little more around the house so the children can be my primary focus.

It's nice to know I'm not an utter freak though...;)

Ok, first of all... JEALOUS! Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that gets to stay home. I think everyone in my family would be happier if I stayed home. I would save money on car payments, gas, clothing (I could make all of my own) and of course time spent on commuting. Dinner would be on the table promptly at 5 and nothing would be ever out of place.

And I would spend 6 glorious hours in my studio versus the measly 3 -4 a month that I spend now. :(

I fantasize every day about being a housewife.....

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have a feeling I will have to wait until I'm retired before I get to stay at home. You know I wish the idea of a sabbatical for a year was more popular here. I'd love to stay at home, work on the creative things and home improvements I have in my head. But I really love my work and though sometimes I wouldn't mind a break - I love it, it's a part of me. I've never really thought of being a housewife as a status symbol but more as a choice with some sacrifices or simplicity like Joie stated. Running a household is work any way you look at it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have a book called Millionaire Women Next Door by one of the same authors who wrote The Millionaire Next Door. One way that some families attained millionaire status was by the wife running the family office: staying home and studying investments. Some of the women said they wouldn't have had time to make good investments if they'd had to juggle a career, kids, keeping house, etc.

zaika

One Too Many
i would consider it a great blessing to be a housewife. i hate working outside the home and actually fantasize about cooking and sewing and all that stuff. but the way my life is going, i'll probably work until i retire. [huh]

but regarding the feminist movement and being a housewife. i don't think that being a housewife negates what they fought for. they fought so that women could have the *choice* to have a career outside of the home if they so desired. to them i salute, say thank you! i'm glad i don't have to be a spinster who relies on her siblings for support. lol

interesting article. thanks desi!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
zaika said:
i would consider it a great blessing to be a housewife. i hate working outside the home and actually fantasize about cooking and sewing and all that stuff. but the way my life is going, i'll probably work until i retire. [huh]

but regarding the feminist movement and being a housewife. i don't think that being a housewife negates what they fought for. they fought so that women could have the *choice* to have a career outside of the home if they so desired. to them i salute, say thank you! i'm glad i don't have to be a spinster who relies on her siblings for support. lol

interesting article. thanks desi!

I agree with you Zaika, I guess that makes us neo-neo-neo-neo feminists.

And if you were a spinster, I would love to be your neighbor.. LOL

zaika

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I agree with you Zaika, I guess that makes us neo-neo-neo-neo feminists.

lol

if i were a spinster, you would have a lot to laugh at.

wait...

The Shirt

Practically Family
HA! I nearly wrote the same thing. Zaika I would totally live on your block. We could share pie recipes and shake our fists at those darn kids.

zaika

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
HA! I nearly wrote the same thing. Zaika I would totally live on your block. We could share pie recipes and shake our fists at those darn kids.

i am so there with you, shirt. lol hey...i shake my fist at kids already. so i'm good at that part. pies, not so much...but that can be learned. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There were plenty of women who worked outside the home pre-feminist era, of course -- in 1940, over 30 percent of the workforce was female. These were primarily women who had no choice but to work due to economic circumstance, many of them as factory hands or as domestics. These weren't glamorous careers, but they were certainly working women in every sense of the word. That said, I'm sure many of those ladies would have very much appreciated having the option of being stay-at-home wives.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i'm a part time stay at home wife... i work 3 days a week and stay at home the other 2... my husband says i'm happier on the days i stay at home, and i make better dinners (well, i'm not sure the dinners are better, but the kitchen is cleaner after i've finished cooking because i'm not in such a rush)

i'm also sewing more and even attempting to make a suit...

i think it works for us...

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
My intended and I have discussed this topic (only on the front of kids, though...I never thought of staying home without them) and we both think that ONE of us should be at home with the kids (haha, of course it's ME and that gets no arguing!). :p

When I am through with school I will have advanced degrees from prestigious universities and keen work experience, and I'm bilingual.

But that doesn't change the fact that I still want my premier role to be that of mother and wife. Today's society makes it so incredibly hard to rip ourselves from the career world from which we have invested so much in....but then again, what's more important than people?

I believe in being educated and accomplished, but I also fully believe in being a nurturing woman.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Ok, first of all... JEALOUS! Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that gets to stay home....
I fantasize every day about being a housewife.....
Oh don't get me wrong. I know I am very lucky to have this option.

I just felt like when the article said:
"It says, 'We make enough money that we both don't need to work outside the home,'" he says. "And especially with the recent economic pressures, a stay-at-home spouse is often an extreme and visible luxury."
That it was saying that the only women making this choice were Muffy or Buffy or Gloria Upson from the Hamptons who live in a rambling Tudor, drive a Lexus and have husbands making six figures. This I am not.

We're hanging in there at the lower end of middle class. It is surprisingly do-able. It just depends on what you want out of life and what you are willing to sacrifice. I don't have nearly as many entries in the "purchases" thread as many of my working sisters, and sometimes I'm jealous of them. I can't just drop $50 on a dress because I want it. I have to weigh it carefully and decide if it is worth the investment. (For me, it usually isn't) It's all about choices.
Of course, even when I was working we acted as if I wasn't, to get ready for this. All my paycheck went into savings, and we lived off his. We learned to live off of one paycheck. That is how I was able to make the down payment on the house, and now he to pays the mortgage. :D

Zaika said:
but regarding the feminist movement and being a housewife. i don't think that being a housewife negates what they fought for. they fought so that women could have the *choice* to have a career outside of the home if they so desired. to them i salute, say thank you!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying this! This is my philosophy, but sadly it doesn't hold weight with my nosy MIL who can't stand me staying home. :(

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
My wife is currently at home on maternity leave. We've discussed this frequently, and the only reason she's going back to work after her leave is up is because we can't afford not to. Frankly, she makes more than I do, but not so much more that we can afford to go down to only one income.

It's down to our lifestyle. When we bought our house (etc.) we were both working and had no kids. Now we have two kids, and our expenses are greater than they were five years ago. Maybe if we had planned better back then, we would have started leading a less-expensive lifestyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran