Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is that a pen in your pocket?

Canadave

One Too Many
OK, my sartorial friends, here's one for you.

I like good quality pens, and always have one with on me during working hours (and sometimes at leisure as well). I used to keep one in my shirt pocket, but decided that it looked a bit cheesy, especially when it pulled the fabric down. It looked messy. I started carrying it in my inside jacket pocket.

Now, in the last month, I've seen two different well-dressed gents with a quality pen in their OUTSIDE breast jacket pocket. I couldn't quite figure out whether I liked the look or not. I'm leaning towards liking it.

Any comments on this fashion statement?

D

farnham54

A-List Customer
Not for me, personally. I have a very nice Cross pen that I just toss into my Wested breast pocket, that way I've always got it on me. I've written every exam with that thing and can't complain one bit. It's kind of a good luck charm (or SOMETHING is, I don't know how I got by without a little luck on some of those tests :D)

regards,

Craig

STHill

One of the Regulars
I vote for "inside the jacket pocket." In my opinion, nothing should be in the outside breast pocket but a properly coordinatd and folded handkerchief.

Plus, it makes for a nice flourish to reach into the inside pocket for your pen.

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
I say...

Place your pen in the inside of your suit jacket or your shirt pocket. Reason? If you write with your pen often and I suspect that you do by what you have said, you will eventially wear out a spot on your suit jacket pocket. Granted it might look kinda cool to have a nice expensive pen on your outside pocket but I agree, that pocket was put there to place a nice pocket square. When I read your question I went to place my pen in one of my suit jackets and the pen would not go all the way into the pocket. First sign that it should not be there. Besides if you will notice some if not all well made suits have a specific pocket inside the jacket made for the pen to be placed in.

By the way what kind of pen are we talking about here?

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: I say...

Originally posted by Pen Collector
...By the way what kind of pen are we talking about here?

Hey Gabe, there you are! I PMd and emailed you with a different pen query. Did you receive them?

Anyway, my current favourite pen, and the one in question, is a Parker 75 Cisel?ɬ© Sterling Silver Ball Point.

Thanks all for the opinions,

David

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Certainly inside the jacket. You don't want to get ink on your pocket square. Or look like you forgot your pocket protector!

schwammy

Familiar Face
satchmo.jpg

Admittedly, it's a ballpoint, but look where Louis Armstrong kept his pen. I like the look personally. Oddly enough, in the 50s, when ballpoints first came out, they were more desirable than fountain pens. The mind reels.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by schwammy
Admittedly, it's a ballpoint, but look where Louis Armstrong kept his pen. I like the look personally.
Cool!

Originally posted by schwammy
Oddly enough, in the 50s, when ballpoints first came out, they were more desirable than fountain pens. The mind reels.

I used fountain pens exclusively for a few years, and still own about 1/2 dozen, but my current favourite pen, as mentioned in a previous post is a ballpoint. Not a crappy disposable, mind you, but a ballpoint nonetheless!

To each their own!

D

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
If I wear a jacket, I keep my pen on the inside. If not, I keep it in my shirt pocket (obviously). Since I favor pockets with flaps, it's sometimes a bit hard unless there's a slit in the top of the flap. I don't stress over formality as much as convenience. My favorite pen brand, incidentally, is Waterman. I've never had a problem with a Waterman or Colibri, whereas I've had a problems with virtually every other brand, particularly Mont Blanc. Mont Blancs are status symbols, but they don't write for trash.

schwammy

Familiar Face
Originally posted by Michael Mallory
My favorite pen brand, incidentally, is Waterman. I've never had a problem with a Waterman or Colibri, whereas I've had a problems with virtually every other brand, particularly Mont Blanc. Mont Blancs are status symbols, but they don't write for trash.

Good to know. I've always wanted a Mont Blanc, but not being rich, my daily pen is the low-end Waterman. I, too have never had a problem with it. Good pen for under $40.

hatlady

New in Town
the almighty pen!!

Hey Dave, I have a sad story about a pen...lend me your ear
I was the last girl in a family of 3, and my dad longed for a son. But instead he got a slightly tom boyish girl, thats me... anyway, we had a 'camp' (thats non urbanspeak for cottage) in the 70's and all my cool neighbours had giant speedboats, waterskis, innertubes , the whole beachy experience...it was the closest a northern ontarion girl could get to a total LA experience. Anyway, I begged and begged for months for a speedboat or anything with a motor frankly, that I could show off my new curling ironed sausage locks, and Elton John glasses. My dad obliged with a hand built rowboat which he painted yellow and blue and christened the "Bic Banana" you know...like the PEN. He proceeded to outfit it with a hand built one and a half horse power, outboard motor, actually it was more like one of those egg beaters your mom had in the 70's, so imagine this...me at all of 60 pounds, my dad ...a big guy of oh...200 pounds, and this 1/12 horse power motor chugging along...imagine the humiliation from my pals splashing us over and over again, with their yamaha powered boats and the giant waves splashing over the 'Bic Banana"... might explain a lot.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: the almighty pen!!

Originally posted by hatlady
Hey Dave, I have a sad story about a pen...lend me your ear...

Has the subsequent 30 years of psychotherapy helped at all? Wow, he could have at least called it "The Parker 75"!

I feel your pain, ;)

David

Imahomer

Practically Family
Inside for all of the above reasons. People who buy expensive pens and put them outside where they can be seen do it for vanity reasons.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Best not let the British know that. I've been watching old pre-WW2 British movies recently, and almost all the professionals shown in the films have all carried their fountain pens and pocketwatchs in their outside jacket pockets for easy access, as they were used constantly. Having them in an inside pocket (unless they had a vest/waistcoat) made them rather difficult to access on a regular basis. You don't see that all that often in old U.S. films, but watch a Basil Rathbone movie from the 40's, and you'll spot a bunch being carried like that, especially by the actors portraying professionals such as shop keepers, scientists and politicians etc. Regards. Michaelson

If I wear a jacket, I keep my pen on the inside. If not, I keep it in my shirt pocket (obviously). Since I favor pockets with flaps, it's sometimes a bit hard unless there's a slit in the top of the flap. I don't stress over formality as much as convenience. My favorite pen brand, incidentally, is Waterman. I've never had a problem with a Waterman or Colibri, whereas I've had a problems with virtually every other brand, particularly Mont Blanc. Mont Blancs are status symbols, but they don't write for trash.

Ok, what was wrong with the Mont Blanc? I have had four of them and that is all I need for the rest of my days. They write whenever I need them. My everyday carry is a Solitaire Roller Ball. I love it. The only thing I worry about is running out of ink. :D My boss is always borrowing my pen. I think I am going to make them buy their own soon or rent mine. LOL
I have had Parkers, Cross and just about everything else but they just don't have the same feel in the hand.
Ok, now blast me with a it blew up in my pocket story. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
My Mont Blanc was a limited edition "Poe" one, and I'm not sure they're really made to write. I think they're made to put in a display case. From day one it leaked, then it cracked, and I had to send it in for repairs (twice) at additional cost in the hundreds. It's more or less working now, though it still skips more than any other pen I have, including a two-dollar Sheaffer I bought at Pic-n-Sav. I've heard others share my opinion of Mont Blancs, and others share your opinion of them, so I guess ultimately you pay your money and take your chances.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Oh, 'tis a blew-up-in-my-pocket story ye be wantin, is it? Okay. Some years ago I was on an airplane with my wife's niece -- a sweet, painfully innocent young teenager -- and I had absentmindedly stuck a fountain pens in my pants pocket. As soon as the plane pressurized, the inevitable occurred -- kablooey. Cut to a couple years later when I'm visiting my wife's family on the farm, surrounded by one and all, and the niece (still sweet and painfully innocent, but now maybe 20) says: "I remember one time I was sitting next to you on an airplane and something exploded in your pants." Needless to say, it cleared the dining table.

My Mont Blanc was a limited edition "Poe" one, and I'm not sure they're really made to write. I think they're made to put in a display case. From day one it leaked, then it cracked, and I had to send it in for repairs (twice) at additional cost in the hundreds. It's more or less working now, though it still skips more than any other pen I have, including a two-dollar Sheaffer I bought at Pic-n-Sav. I've heard others share my opinion of Mont Blancs, and others share your opinion of them, so I guess ultimately you pay your money and take your chances.

Hmm, I am not familiar with the Poe. I am guessing it is a fountain pen if it leaks. I have never been big on carrying a fountain pen so I cannot say much about them.
I know the rollerball works great and does not skip until it needs a new refill. I write quite a lot so it needs a new refil about once a month. I like the heft of the large barrel and the way it fits my hand. Those skinny things just aren't good for the ham handed. :D
I know about factory service though. Some fool in the UPS office borrowed my regular MB and dropped it from quite a height. I did not notice until later that the plastic barrel broke. I had to send it in and it cost me $25 to replace. That is not in the hundreds and it really was not my fault but it did cost me. Factory service was a little surly though. I admit that. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy