Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a name for my preferred crease?

MattJH

One Too Many
I checked the Hat Crease thread by Matt Deckard, but couldn't find any exact matches.

creases.jpg

FRONT: Brown Herbert Johnson, Grey Bott TropicWeight
BACK: Grey Adam Executive, Brown Dobbs 20 Guild Edge

I know that the Dobbs 20 in the back-right is a diamond crease, but what about the other three? Those are the ones I shaped myself, and both of my Akubra Federation IV Standards have the same crease, too. I guess it's sort of a hybrid diamond + teardrop? Is this a common crease? Is there an actual name for it? If not, Dinerman once referred to it as a "shield" which I liked a lot, so maybe I'll just permanently call it that. Heh.

MattJH

One Too Many
So there actually isn't an established name for it, is there?

Is it common? Do any of you crease the same?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
MattJH said:
So there actually isn't an established name for it, is there?

Is it common? Do any of you crease the same?

There was a whole thread here somewhere on the six pointed diamond. Jimmy Stewart used it if I remember right. The two hats in the front are definitely six pointed diamonds.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
5 out of 6 points?

kaosharper1 said:
There was a whole thread here somewhere on the six pointed diamond. Jimmy Stewart used it if I remember right. The two hats in the front are definitely six pointed diamonds.

I only count 5 "points" on these 6 pointed diamonds. These are nice hats, so you could easily add a 6th point, if you wanted to achieve that look.

johnnyphi said:
I only count 5 "points" on these 6 pointed diamonds. These are nice hats, so you could easily add a 6th point, if you wanted to achieve that look.
It does look like left side of hat, right side of photo, has only 1 point while the other side has 2, then the front & rear center points. I really like a deep 4 pointed diamond, like an elongated baseball infield...
cdsb1.jpg

cdsb4.jpg

cdsb2.jpg

cdsb3.jpg

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Most of my hats are creased like that, except with a slight teardrop. I used to make the mistake of lowering the back too much, and that would result in a very large teardrop which came higher than the crown. Depending on the taper of the hat I might push out the sides a bit more into the typical sharp diamond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore