Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a good A-2 for the price?

AARP

Familiar Face
Hi guys,
I've been looking around at different websites for a bomber jacket for christmas. I came across this site with a nice A-2 (http://www.luxurylane.com/Men-Flight-Jackets/A-2-Flight-Leather-Bomber-Jacket). The main reason it attracts me is the price and the lamb skin leather. I have a strict budget of $100 (Being 13 and not having a job). The reason I want the A-2 over the G-1 is because I live in Southern California and it doesn't get that cold. I plan on also making it into a flying tigers jacket with a blood chit on the back and a couple patches. Think this would be a run for my money?

Hi AARP(whatta name for a teen!)
Yeah....for what you can afford...it should work!
Be advised,however..that it's probably a more modern fit (baggier)than some of the trimmer more expensive WW2 reproduction jackets.
HD

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I agree with HoosierDady in that it looks like the cut is baggier than the wartime style. I can't tell if these have the side entry handwarmer pockets. The genuine A-2s did not have those. The text says that the jacket has dual entry pockets, so I suppose it does have the handwarmer pockets. However, they don't appear to be totally obvious. The box stitched epaulettes are correct as well (I've seen some brands that were not box stitched), and the collar looks like it can be snapped down at the front (as with the originals). I would say that it would serve you well, especially at that price. It looks likes a good deal to me.

AARP

Familiar Face
I'm waiting till just after Christmas to order this one then. Maybe the price will drop even more. I doubt it though being that it is already 60% off. I'm going to get my measurements tomorrow. Thinking I'll be a large (5'6", 185 lbs) but for some reason jackets arm lenghts usually don't fit the rest of the jacket. Always to big. Anyways, Here are the patches I will be putting on it.
Left Arm:
6ypjuw8.jpg

Right Arm:
89lm6x5.jpg

Front, Right(Above Pocket on chest):
6yf0sgm.jpg

And do you think it would be wise to put this (embroidered) blood chit on the BACK of the jacket?
6q3x4wk.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Starter A-2

It looks like the jacket from Airborne Leather. Check the other posts. If it is its not bad for the money I have 3 of them. One is for working out doors and the other two I'm going to try some art work on. A month ago the jacket was on sale. If you wait till spring they may drop the price around $98.00. Check out there site.

I would save up for a better jacket. A little bit of patience and self control on the spending front will net you a much better jacket. Cheap jackets will perform like cheap jackets. The leather will fall apart, the stitching will come undone. This can truly be described as a waste of money.

bk

Jovan

Suspended
Honestly, I would just scour thrift shops and possibly surplus stores for the real thing. You're going to fill out A LOT between now and your 20s, and the last thing you need to do is drop $100 on a jacket that won't fit you forever (or even now, depending on your physique). I don't mean to talk down to you at all, I base this on personal experience. :eusa_doh:

AARP

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
I would save up for a better jacket. A little bit of patience and self control on the spending front will net you a much better jacket. Cheap jackets will perform like cheap jackets. The leather will fall apart, the stitching will come undone. This can truly be described as a waste of money.

bk
Problem is I'm not willing to drop $300-500 for a jacket that will only be worn for +/- 3 years. Remember I'm still growing.

kampkatz

Practically Family
If you really like the jacket , get it. I have seen this model up close and it is not the cheapest construction for imitation A2s. It may last a long time if you don't rough house alot. Merry Christmas.

AARP

Familiar Face
kampkatz said:
If you really like the jacket , get it. I have seen this model up close and it is not the cheapest construction for imitation A2s. It may last a long time if you don't rough house alot. Merry Christmas.
That's good to know. Being without a job this is really all that I can afford.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
To: AARP

AARP said:
That's good to know. Being without a job this is really all that I can afford.

What size do you wear? I have had one for over three 3years and working in it and I don't have any wear or problems with mine. I have a few Higher priced jackets and yes it not up to par with them but the airborn jacket is a good one to start with. Take a look a Blair.com They have one that is even better yet. I got one of those as well and I get a lot of complements On how nice the jacket is. I got a few extra A-2's Might let one go real cheap. some still have tag's. I have gotten jackets from differant makers and tryed them out. Like I said the higher priced ones are for my collection but some of the starter jackets are just to get an Idea of whats out there.

CBI

One Too Many
Enjoy your jacket. In regards patches, if you are going to do Flying Tigers: get a China/Burma/India (CBI) shield to put on your right shoulder, the 14th AF patch can go on the left. Pass on the American flag as the CBI guys did not wear them on the shoulder. If you pass, you can put an Army Air Force service patch on that side. The round breast patch is fine (try to get a 23rd Fighter Group patch) and yes the blood chit goes on the back. If you shop on eBay, try to get things there as you can buy nicer patches (even "buy it now" items) better than what you are looking at. Type in "Flying Tigers" or "Blood Chit" or "CBI", etc. At least look on eBay to see what I mean. There are a few guys who make good painted leather patches and blood chits in the $10 range.

If you decide to go with the patches shown, consider "dirtying" them up when you get them. Rub dirt on them, mash them in your hands - add some age and they will look much more cool!

On eBay you also might be able to buy a Cooper brand A-2 in the $100 range - much nicer than what you are considering. There are other A-2's in the $50 range that would be fine starters. If they are a little worn - even better.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
AAPP,

No matter which jacket you end up purchasing, I would avoid putting the "Blood Chit" patch on. They are just too gaudy and seriously detract from the general look of any flight jacket.....just my opinion. Good luck!

J.A. Dubow

A CBI version patch for left shoulder....

100_0423.jpg

An AAF shoulder patch version for right shoulder......

100_0421.jpg

You can have a copy of one of these made(23rd "Flying Tigers") for left breast..with nametag above....

100_0374.jpg

HD

CBI

One Too Many
Geeeeeeezzzzz. Sorry, CBI patch on left shoulder, AAF or 14th AF on right. This is what I was THINKING, but of course it didn't type out that way, thanks previous post!!!

AARP

Familiar Face
Jacob Dubow said:
AAPP,

No matter which jacket you end up purchasing, I would avoid putting the "Blood Chit" patch on. They are just too gaudy and seriously detract from the general look of any flight jacket.....just my opinion. Good luck!

J.A. Dubow
How about a silk one on the lining of the jacket then?

AARP

Familiar Face
Okay, I've been looking around Ebay and saw some pretty nice jackets in my price range. Problem is, I don't know my size. How do you measure to get 40, 42, etc.?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
NiCE jacket buTTTTTT...

checked out the jacket you referenced, pretty nice, especially for that price, tho it didn't show if it had a one-piece back...however, some points:

if you are putting flying tiger patches on a jacket, i'd really only do that with a jacket that is milspec...like the original flying tiger jackets

admittedly, you'd have to spend near a grand to get a true replica jacket of that one, but you can at least get a current day milspec jacket to do the flying tiger aspect accurately to that degree...meaning one piece back, throat hook, at the very least hidden side warmer pockets, but better no sidewarmer pockets and only front patch pockets...

at your price range you may not be able to get horsehide, even used on ebay, but a nice goatskin would be fine...

important is the sizing...especially to look like a ww2 vintage a-2 when in fact getting a current day one...so that means a bit trimmer if you can...and milspec a-2s are trimmer...but in my experience each brand has a different fit...to wit:

true 80s/90s milspec a-2s such as spiewak/sons, flight apparel industries, even to a lesser degree cooper, are tighter than the current milspec sizes...even when comparing military sizes...i have a current uswings milspec (throat hook, no sidewarmer pocks, etc) is about two sizes bigger than the 80s/90s milspecs...and one full size bigger than even cockpitusa's remake of avirex's milspec 80's a-2...it's really a nightmare

so find the inch count of a jacket that fits you...of armpit to armpit, shourlder to shoulder, bottom collar seam to bottom hem, shoulders, etc..., and then make surrre the one you are getting (on ebay, or call the manufacturer if buying new) match what fits you

if not on an ebay ad, usually the seller will be happy to measure the jacket and answer your question...new manufacturers are also quite helpful

in closing, the jacket you mentioned was very nice for the price, but not milspec...which for a flying tigers makeover would seam important...until dec 31 uswings is selling milspec signature series jackets for $206...and on ebay if you check the pics closely, you can verify that what you are getting is milspec, and probably get a nice one with mild wear that actually enhances the flying tiger look...and sometimes even with no wear...for just over $100

the footwork is fun, and will be more rewarding in the end if you are trying to replicate something like an actual ww2 jacket

johnnyjohnny

Jovan

Suspended
AARP said:
Problem is I'm not willing to drop $300-500 for a jacket that will only be worn for +/- 3 years. Remember I'm still growing.
See my post if you haven't. This is why I think it won't be worth dropping even $100 for a jacket right now. Sure, it's a good price for these kind of jackets period, but will it be a few years down the road if it doesn't fit anymore? This is why no one likes to buy name brands for their kids unless they have a lot of disposable income. ;)

Buy it!!

13 yrs old (same as my son!)...and interested in a Flying Tigers patched jacket!! Great!
I say...get that LuxuryLane $99 A2....patch it up like a WW2 jacket....then enjoy the heck out of it(it will look pretty cool!)...untill it no longer fits! Then you may be able to afford one that may be more authentic. By all means..have fun..and keep up the interest.
HD
I'd say that this A2 would be a little oversized...not trim...so a size 40 might work. Email the company and ask them to make certain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou