Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this button pack on Amazon, optimal for braces/suspenders?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Anyone familiar with this button pack? It's for 144 buttons but, the cost is like $10 when shipping is factored in. I don't want to pay that if the buttons are not optimal for use with braces/suspenders (in which case, I wouldn't bother with the purchase at all).
Buttons 27L / Suspender - Black

21mtWem-BzL.jpg

Whislerm

New in Town
They look just like the buttons my local tailor sews into my trousers. I've also sewn just regular buttons into trousers for braces and I haven't really noticed a difference.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Does the back of the button resemble the backs of these?
bracebutton.jpg

"…note also the domed rear of the one on the right: steeply rising away from the point of contact with the fabric to allow the brace tabs room to sit." - Herringbonekid.

The fact that the Amazon ad doesn't show anything even close to a side view of the button, is what makes it ambiguous as to whether the button is optimal for braces or not. For all I know, the retailer could just be trying to sell me a $10 pack of bog-standard buttons that I'll have no use for.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yes, the button back is the key feature and it's left unshown. That's a red flag in my book.

carldelo

One Too Many
OK, I took closeups of some suspender buttons - the front row is the top of the buttons, the back row is the back. The little grooves for the thread are visible on the front, the domed back is detectable as well.

The left four are from MWS in black, gray, tan, white. The fifth from the left came with a set of Trafalgar braces. They are identical to the MWS buttons, as far as I can tell. The Amazon buttons look similar, but you can't be sure. I would opt for buying from MWS over Amazon, if only because I like to support a bricks & mortar shop in the city.

The right-most black buttons came with a set of braces from Paul Fredrick - they're thicker and have square edges. After using them, I decided to replace them with MWS buttons, as they're more comfortable.

Buttons1_zpsa0bb85f4.jpg

Buttons2_zpsc0a69556.jpg

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
Yep, they're the ones. I bought a bunch from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply. The photo here doesn't show the grooves between the holes, but they're there on the reverse side. I bought them by the dozen in each of the colors. More expensive by the dozen, but I didn't want 144 buttons.

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/suspender-buttons
Another vote for the Manhattan Wardrobe Supply.
I got the 144-pack in a neutral tan. Since I put all my suspender buttons on the inside, I wasn't too worried about colour.

By the way - it isn't really that difficult to go through 144 suspender buttons ...

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Those don't appear to have a dome on the back. The ones that came with a pair of braces I bought recently, look more optimal as well. Will wait on ordering.

carldelo

One Too Many
The MWS buttons have the correct dome shape on the back. The overall shape is lenticular, like a GO stone, with no sharp edges to dig in. They are nice and thin, and are not noticeable when sewn on the inside of the waistband. Personally, I sew the back buttons on the outside so I don't sit on them directly, a belt will cover them when not wearing braces. But they can go inside as well.

The fact that Trafalgar, a major manufacturer, includes them with their braces is persuasive to me, as well. In any case, they should be more comfortable than the buttons HBK posted, they're thick and have the sharp edge on the front - these look like jacket buttons to me, not suspender buttons:

bracebutton.jpg

Nyah

One of the Regulars
The ones that came with my braces, have a front that's a little flatter than the front of yours. The back looks like a cone that's had its point chopped off, allowing some extra space for the brace tabs in a similar manner as the one HBK posted. This makes the edge look even "sharper" than the ones HBK posted, yet it poses no discomfort since it's still just rounded plastic. I have all of them installed on the inside of the waistband. If anything is noticeable to me, it's the multi-layer lump of leather on the backstrap of the Y-shaped braces, pressing on my spine whenever I sit back on anything with lumbar-support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24