Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this hat damaged? Lighter felt has me baffled

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok as I was preparing shipment of a hat to a fellow longer I took my falcon park out of the hat box. I look at it to find a few markings on the hat. I have only worn this hat twice so I don't think I have ever noticed how lighter felt looks. Is this just a product of the felt clor not hiding things or did some little critter ruin my hat? Any help would be appreciated
a0de643a9425b684710fba92ad17038b.jpg
caee5d16a735bc051ab9a115ba5dc236.jpg
2c6e3bccb54d23a8b1c25b691147aa3e.jpg
ac547e351f3b80e5c05a01234dd82a39.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think there are too many little dots for them to be moth bites, which would probably be few in number, and some might drag lines or trenches across the felt. I think it may just be the way a fuzzy felt lies, with no damage to the felt necessarily existing.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Yes those critters can get in hat boxes if they've been stored for a while always good to take them out and inspect and brush them. I always put some moth balls in my hat boxes so the moths don't eat my hats when in storing them.

I'm not convinced that's mothing. If it is, there should be evidence of larvae on the hat or in the box. Little tunnels of felt they use to make cocoons. And possibly adults - live or dead. If that is moth damage, that was done by A LOT of moths, not just one or two. The all-over nature of the marking makes me think it's something to do with the felt, unrelated to insects.

Maybe some of the professional hatters can tell if it's something to do with how the felt was prepared or treated.

bk

EggHead

Practically Family
Felt does look strange. A have some new Akubras with thick rabbit felt, but it always looked and felt smooth and solid even after many rains. Did your hat experience any rain or water and possibly some areas shrank?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
It has minimal use literally wore it twice in no bad weather. Put it away in the box because I did not like how it looked on me. Sold t today and found it like this confused if it is damaged or jut the way the rabbit felt is.

It is not mothing. It just looks the finish is off. I would try some steam plus counter clockwise brush and see if that helps. If that doesn't help I would follow-up with the maker (could be the dye, pouncing or some other treatment).

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Pretty odd looking felt....... I take it that you did not notice it when you received the hat from FP? If it wasn't present when you got it, then I would send it back to them for an explanation!

There is one spot on the crown that looks a bit like a moth bite. If the rest is moth damage, then you need to take some immediate action to prevent the spread of the little devils!:eeek: I use Hot Shot No Pest Strips, and change them out every three months or so.

http://www.hotshot.com/products-and-solutions/all-products/no-pest-strip.aspx

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I see no signs of moths in ay boxes or anywhere in my closet. And I do not recall the felt when I received it. I am going to steam and brush over weekend

job

One Too Many
I have a Bone colored hat that can look like that. Try brushing it a lot and the nap should get better. Make sure you brush the correct direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80