Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this tie too formal for everyday wear?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lear said:
Is this tie too formal for everyday wear?
Looks everyday to my eye especially when considering that the tie was made as an homage to the one worn by Gary Cooper in this photo.

garycoopersaxony6vr.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Looks everyday to my eye especially when considering that the tie was made as an homage to the one worn by Gary Cooper in this photo.

It appears so however look at the design of the tie Cooper it runs diagonal
Block---tri-diagonal-matrices_1.png
The London Lounge Club Tie, design #1135, color #1. runs horizontal
horizontal_line03_s.jpg

garycoopersaxony6vr.jpg
imgp11563nk.jpg

I like Cooper's tie it is very complimentary and truly accents his features, I would feel more comfortable as it is a tie that can worn anywhere, while the London club model appears to be more formal and I would only wear professional situations.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Wow! I'm impressed by the knowledge on this forum :eusa_clap

My understanding of all things sartorial may be lacking; I may not be as extreme as some here. Yet every time I see a b&w photograph from decades ago, I just know that it's right for me. Can't explain why, just know it to be so. I think I was born in the wrong decade.

As I like the feel of heavier weight suit fabrics, the tie will be a seven fold affair, taking the number of ties I own to two :eek:

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
A good looking tie

Actually it looks very similar to one I bought from Dunhill a few years ago. It works fairly well in the picture if you like the monotone look which I do. Having said that, and even though I have it, I'm bound to say that personally when it comes to grey/black ties I tend to prefer the more old fashioned patterns (houndstooth, glen check, plain grey, shepherds check or silver spot on black ground).....can't explain why exactly but they just seem to work better with both white shirts or pink or blue striped.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Shepherds Check

Unfortunately being new around here I haven't been able to figure out how to attach a pic but I'm sure Cooper's tie is actually a Shepherds Check.....I have several ties in this pattern

Edward

Bartender
Nick D said:
I see tie knots bigger than that almost on a daily basis. I've heard them refered to as 'footballers knots'.

That's about right. I imagine this is because the average footballer gives the lie to the notion tht a suit can make any man look sharp. The richer and more successful they are, the more pronounced this is. Paradign example: David Beckham. They always appear to wear a suit as if they feel desperately uncomfortable in it (maybe it's not synthetic enough for them?). The tie knot will be the size of the wearer's head, and typically the tie itself will be at least an inch thick, and about four feet long untied. The overall effect is that the wearer looks as if they have landed from an alien culture, and in absence of a proper understanding of these clothes, they have simply replicated the outfit of an ill-dressed manneqjuin, albeit one in a high end store. If you can make even the very most expensive suit and tie look bad, you are definitely doing it wrong.

However, I digress....

Lear said:
Thanks for the replies. I keep on getting asked if I'm on my way to a wedding, by people I vaguely know, as well as by random strangers. I could do without furthering that impression. It must be the plain white pocket square that's doing it.

None of those - it's simply that you've made an effort. I've been asked that before when wearing nothing more than a brown corduroy blazer with a suitable pair of trousers, collar, tie and linen waistcoat. Simply put in an effort nowadays, and many will assume you are going to one of those formal event where "you have to dress up". So few people nowadays willingly dress that way, wear a tie, even, when they don't have to, and in my experience they simply assume you too must be going somwhere where it is a requirement if you are wearing one, as that is the only thing that compells them to do likewise.

avedwards said:
I think the tie is perfectly acceptable for everyday wear as long as you wear it with the right sort of suit (one like the one pictured is fine IMO).

As for the comments, ignore them. The strangers who comment about your clothes in the UK are usually complete morons. At least I get so many random "Indiana Jones" or "Inspector Gadget" comments even when I don't remotely resemble them other than that I have a grey fedora on.

I got 'Inspector Gadget' recently. I'd like to say I came back with a smart remark like "Go go Gadget arm!" followed by the extension of my middle finger, but alas I was dumbfounded to see how young the kid who said it was.... I didn't think Gadget was still around. Two minutes later - far too late, of course- I wished I'd simpyl said 'You must be older than you look, if you remember that show...',

Anyhow, back on topic.... The tie looks fine to me, and I too would see no problem with wearing it every day. To be honest, while there aree many ties I might consider too 'loud' for very formal occasions, I can't think of any four in hands I would consider 'too formal' for regular wear.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Is Prince Michael of Kent a footballer?

After all he's the doyenne of large knots.........it's a personal opinion of course but both extremes don't really come off but if anything the over large knot is the lesser of the two evils....for my money the tie illustrated in the pic with the grey flannel is about right but could do with a bit more shape......there are certain tie manufacturers that seem to produce the perfect mid sized sculptured knot (my personal faves are Emma Willis, Drake, Charvet, Hilditch and Key).......I am something of tie aficionado

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:

I think you're both wrong. :(

Cooper's tie has a woven or printed diagonal gingham pattern. (Think picnic tablecloth.)

You just defined a shepherd's check.......from the shirt and tie style guide........

"Shepherd’s check- This pattern is a twill-weave of small, even-sized, colored and white checks. While this check often resembles the gingham check, the visible twill weave is what distinguishes the shepherd’s check from gingham. The name derives from the plaid worn by shepherds in the hills of the Scottish borders. The hounds tooth pattern originated from the Shepherd’s check."

Trust me Cooper's tie is a shepherd's check

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:

Exactly. Thanks! Another example of gingham:

Ging.jpg
garycoopersaxony6vr.jpg

I do not think so; the following would most likely shed some light on this Chaille, François (1994). The Book Of Ties. Paris: Flammarion. (see Gary Cooper p. 119). ISBN 2080135686.

Further it appears that Mr. Jean-Claude Colban of Charvet fashioned the Lounge tie design after Cooper's tie.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Brummagem Joe said:
While this check often resembles the gingham check, the visible twill weave is what distinguishes the shepherd’s check from gingham.

I guess it's neither here nor there. We can't tell from the Cooper photo if there is a visible twill weave (which is shown in Carlisle Blue's "shepherd's check" post). A sharper, larger example of the Cooper photo would help us determine is the design is gingham or shepherd's check. I'll do a search for the pic.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Behold: a larger, brighter version of the same photo. Here the tie looks a bit more like the Charvet one, though this might be due to the image's brightness. In any case, it doesn't tell us for sure if we're looking at a shepherd's check, a gingham, or something else.

garycooperfountainheadphoto2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk