Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this too busy?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
only if this is...

I own a dress in this fabric....

655952749_l.jpg

So no...yours is not too busy.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just wouldn't make a whole dress out of it. Looking at it, it would make a great top or skirt and then coordinate with a plain skirt or top. I would have the rest of the look downplay it some, not fighting it, otherwise, it looks great! I really like the colors :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I think it's darling! But it's tough to see how big the print is.

I think it's just awaiting the right dress pattern to highlight the pattern perfectly.

Good luck and I hope you post the final finished product!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The black bands do look really good with that dress. I guess it's also what you're used to...buying a poka dot dress was a big step for me :rolleyes: :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
OH MY GOSH! That is SO beautiful!!!! With cute colored early plastic buttons it would be so yummy! Definately make a dress with it. They were big on colorful florals :)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I say go for it! I also think jitterbuggal has a good idea about accents.

And from your avatar I feel sure in saying that you'll look great in a lot of color!

BV

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Oh, I think you can get away with making a whole dress out of it--check out this 1940s dress with a wild pattern and black accent bands:
47b6d623b3127cce8bb081051a9a00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Ooo, that dress is lovely, is it one of yours?

decodoll

Practically Family
Rebecca, that fabric is gorgeous!! Not too busy at all. They did like their wild prints in the 40's! I can't wait to see what you make.

Miss Neecerie, I love, love, love the print on your dress!!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thanks gals. I usually wear a lot of bright colors, but was afraid that particular fabric's bold print would overpower my small frame. But you've talked me into it - a dress it will be. Unless, of course, I decide on making it into a puffy-sleeved '40s bolero, with a matching solid blue '40s sundress, with that fabric as a belt and accents on the pockets. Shoot. I can't decide!

I'll let ya know when I receive the fabric. In the meantime, have you ladies seen the other fabric on that site? It's great! And CHEAP!

maisie

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Unless, of course, I decide on making it into a puffy-sleeved '40s bolero, with a matching solid blue '40s sundress, with that fabric as a belt and accents on the pockets. Shoot. I can't decide!
QUOTE]

I like that idea much more than just making a dress out of it, it will look so much more unique, i think anyways! They did that a lot in the 40's mixing print with bold colours, i've got a suit that has a plain blouse with a trim of the floral printed fabric that is also used for the skirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic