Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Tom Cruise finished?

Feraud

Bartender
Okay... I'll bite! Just what the $#@$%!!! is the book about?

Worf
From the Amazon write-up-
On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

In her long-awaited new book, Laura Hillenbrand writes with the same rich and vivid narrative voice she displayed in Seabiscuit. Telling an unforgettable story of a man’s journey into extremity, Unbroken is a testament to the resilience of the human mind, body, and spirit.

Feraud

Bartender
Yeah, I'm hoping they don't try to do a "Quentin Tarantino" on this. A) the story deserves to be done right - not watered down like I expect.B) They're not Quentin Tarantino.I almost never read books to the end - I read so slowly that I usually get 2/3 through and forget. That book I read in four days - which is a record for me.
Agreed. The story is strong enough on it's own that it requires a straight telling. I cannot see the Coens putting their absurdist twist on the story.
If the film gets made I hope they don't white-wash the extreme brutality the POWs suffered.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey! Leave the Monkees out of this. They have made their place in history and outshine many of the other morons that came after them.....

Plenty of folks on here have defended the Mon-kees. Several have spoken on how they prefer them to the "Fab Four" in many respects. I'm not one of those that think nothing existed BEFORE the Beat-alls but to mention Peter Tork and Mickey Donlenz in the same sentence as Lennon and McCartney smacks of lunacy but to each their own. The Beatles honed their craft performing... the Monkees were picked out of a line-up for their appeal to pre-teen American girls.. that two of em could sing was only an afterthought.

Worf

Plenty of folks on here have defended the Mon-kees. Several have spoken on how they prefer them to the "Fab Four" in many respects. I'm not one of those that think nothing existed BEFORE the Beat-alls but to mention Peter Tork and Mickey Donlenz in the same sentence as Lennon and McCartney smacks of lunacy but to each their own. The Beatles honed their craft performing... the Monkees were picked out of a line-up for their appeal to pre-teen American girls.. that two of em could sing was only an afterthought.

Worf

Abso-freakin-lutely.

Worf
I can't stand the Dung Beetles so you are wasting your effort on me. They stink. I can at least stand the Monkees. A band put together by a panel of trained monkeys did better.:rofl:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I had no idea the Beatles formed in 1960! So much for my "vocalized surf music was around before the Beatles" argument.
As much as I dislike them, perhaps credit is due where it is due!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Genesis of the Beatles goes back farther then that. In 1957 John Lennon formed The Black Jacks, which quickly became the Quarrymen after Quarry Bank High School, which he attended, then the long hard slog to fame. Thats why the Beatles are far better then the Prefab Four, they paid their dues and honed their skills the hard way.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As the resident Beatles historian on the lounge let me just say, personal opinions aside, the Beatles are already made - despite personal musical tastes, the Four Lads From Liverpool are an historic fact and will be for centuries to come. They are a 20th Century cultural phenomenon. Countless books have been written about their impact on modern culture, musically and otherwise. Their music has already been covered and duplicated by countless other artists, not the least of which is a full time musical theatre called 'LOVE' in Las Vegas, to which hundreds of thousands of people from around the planet come to hear their music as produced by the peerless George Martin and interpreted by the amazing Cirque du Solie. Five feature length films to their credit (as a group) will be shown for eternity to crowds who want to see what this 'Beatles' thing was all about. The least of which - 'Magical Mystery Tour', which they produced themselves, is already a film school staple for teaching cinema students about self-production do's and don'ts. Many parents today will attest that their children's interest in music generally came about after hearing such songs as 'Yellow Submarine', 'A Little Help From My Friends' and 'Hey Jude'. Practically every modern musician of note makes a tribute to the Beatles as being an influence and an ideal in their own pursuit of a musical career. There needn't be any argument about it - it is a "done deal" as we like to say. Long after we have shuffled off this mortal coil (to a Beatles tune, no doubt!) human beings will be digging the Beatles, talking about their influence and playing and analyzing their music. They no long require any defense - they have earned their place in history - one which future generations may well refer to as "THE GOLDEN ERA".

nick123: The Beatles history goes back as far as 1956 when John Lennon put together his Skiffle Band named 'The Quarrymen'. Paul McCartney joined that group with John about a year later. George then came along and joined subsequent to Paul. They played in and around Liverpool under a number of names 'The Rainbows', 'The Silver Beatles' etc. and with various drummers until Pete Best joined them as their permanent member on drums. The fact of the matter is, it was 51yrs ago today (06/06/1962) that the Beatles entered the EMI Studios in Abbey Road to lay down tracks for George Martin and Parlophone Records in their audition for the record label. Pete Best was still playing drums with the band as of that date but was replaced suddenly with Richard Starkey (Ringo) about two weeks later based on some criticism by George Martin. The rest, as they say is history. - -dixon cannon

Last edited:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To those who may be interested in an accelerated lesson in the early years of the Beatles and how they managed to find each other and create the world's most popular 'Beat Group', let me recommend the following films. Watch 'Nowhere Boy' first to get an understanding of John Lennon's troubled childhood and his impetus for learning music. Follow that viewing with 'BackBeat' which picks up almost where 'Nowhere Boy' ends.... the five lads heading for the "big time" in Hamburg, Germany where they coalesced as a tight stage act. In addition, if you can find a copy, Dick Clark's production 'Birth Of The Beatles' helps to fill in some of the gaps, bringing them up to the Beatlemania days of 1963. It is a fabulous story of these four lads from Liverpool and how they literally conquered the media, show biz and world culture. - -dixon cannon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266029/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106339/?ref_=sr_1

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
nick123: The Beatles history goes back as far as 1956 when John Lennon put together his Skiffle Band named 'The Quarrymen'. Paul McCartney joined that group with John about a year later. George then came along and joined subsequent to Paul. They played in and around Liverpool under a number of names 'The Rainbows', 'The Silver Beatles' etc. and with various drummers until Pete Best joined them as their permanent member on drums. The fact of the matter is, it was 51yrs ago today (06/06/1962) that the Beatles entered the EMI Studios in Abbey Road to lay down tracks for George Martin and Parlophone Records in their audition for the record label. Pete Best was still playing drums with the band as of that date but was replaced suddenly with Richard Starkey (Ringo) about two weeks later based on some criticism by George Martin. The rest, as they say is history. - -dixon cannon
Your right, it was 1956, but the band was called The Black Jacks, but only for a short time! Then the long and winding road to the final name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael