Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Tom Cruise finished?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Considering the less than stellar box-office of his recent efforts... is Tom Cruise finished as an "A-List" actor in H-Wood? Just curious.

Worf

I never could fathom his appeal. But then, he typically appears in the sorts of movies I have zero interest in seeing. (Yes, I know there are millions upon millions of people who take a very different view.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
He seems unlikely to comfortably transition into character roles, so I suspect that he'll keep playing less and less appropriate leading man roles until he's really too old for them. As long as his films break even or make a small profit, he'll keep making them.

You know, for all his craziness and bizarre behavior offscreen, he's got that genuine movie star thing. He commands the screen effortlessly, and you always know what his characters are thinking and feeling. He's no great actor, but he's given some good performances over the years.

So I don't think he's finished... just in decline!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wouldn't matter. Cruise has obtained his place in film history and cinematic immortality. Just like many other former actors (Tom Hulse comes to mind.) his filmography speaks for itself. Whether his contemporaries (us!) like it or not, our posterity will be talking about Cruise like we talk about Bogart. It's a fact; while we complain about his talents, Cruise has made his career, worked consistently, made a fortune AND FLIES A P-51 MUSTANG! That spells success in my mind. -dixon cannon

KissMeKate1_zps00d718ba.jpg

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One shouldn't confuse "success" with worth... "The Monkees" comes to mind. Just cause Cruise has made a boatload of money on a boatload of pictures doesn't mean he's worth watching. There are people who love him, some who loathe him and some like me who just find him annoying and a curiousity at most. I wonder if he'd give one "Top Gun" and "Cocktail" and all the rest of that dreck for one decent Oscar winning role? All due respect but to mention him in the same sentence with Bogart is blasphemy. Cruise coudln't carry Bogarts soiled undies. Sorry just no comparison.

Worf

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
He should've had his nose done years ago.....
I believe he did!

I've never enjoyed Tom's action roles but find him very impressive playing less than *heroic (or downright dislikable) characters. A few roles I've enjoyed from Cruise in no particular order are-
Magnolia, Tropic Thunder, Interview with the Vampire, Vanilla Sky, Rain Man. The guy plays a b@stard like no one else!

*I really enjoyed Born on the 4th of July. This is the only "hero" performance I've enjoyed from Cruise.

Apparently Cruise is still a money-making machine. Personally I'd like to see him do more dramatic roles.

To answer the op, I don't think Cruise is finished as an A list actor.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
All due respect but to mention him in the same sentence with Bogart is blasphemy. Cruise coudln't carry Bogarts soiled undies. Sorry just no comparison.
And Bogie was better at water sports.....

11a89c6e40f74e0a6c8749d6d3f0bf7a.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
some one hand Bogart a hamburger!! I never realized he was that tiny.

I'll let you know about Cruise, I have "Jack Reacher " on DVD waiting at home.. should be a solid picture with top rate acting

1961MJS

One shouldn't confuse "success" with worth... "The Monkees" comes to mind. Just cause Cruise has made a boatload of money on a boatload of pictures doesn't mean he's worth watching. There are people who love him, some who loathe him and some like me who just find him annoying and a curiousity at most. I wonder if he'd give one "Top Gun" and "Cocktail" and all the rest of that dreck for one decent Oscar winning role? All due respect but to mention him in the same sentence with Bogart is blasphemy. Cruise coudln't carry Bogarts soiled undies. Sorry just no comparison.

Worf

Hi

Ummmmm, Worf, Tom didn't ACT in either Top Gun OR Cocktail. I haven't watched most of the rest. He's a cocky, self-important A-list A-hole, playing the same. He's a WONDERFUL actor, just ask him.

later

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I believe he did!

I've never enjoyed Tom's action roles but find him very impressive playing less than *heroic (or downright dislikable) characters. A few roles I've enjoyed from Cruise in no particular order are-
Magnolia, Tropic Thunder, Interview with the Vampire, Vanilla Sky, Rain Man. The guy plays a b@stard like no one else!

*I really enjoyed Born on the 4th of July. This is the only "hero" performance I've enjoyed from Cruise.

Apparently Cruise is still a money-making machine. Personally I'd like to see him do more dramatic roles.

To answer the op, I don't think Cruise is finished as an A list actor.

I must admit I DID love him in "Magnolia" and "Tropic Thunder"... He was also decent in "Collateral". He's not completely without talent but to command that kind of money and points per pic? I don't think so.

Worf

Dixon Cannon

Worf

Worf, I respectfully disagree. You are incorrect. Cruise IS up there with the best of them - Bogie including! Many, many people today see Bogie as "old fashioned" and "wooden", even though some of his films are classics. Cruise has already made history with many films; "Top Gun", "Cocktail", "Vanila Sky" come to mind. You personally may not perceive his worth but the industry and the audience obviously do. I do as well.... and I surmise that future generations will too... audiences as well as critics. Tom Cruise is a phenomenal success as a movie actor and star whether we like it or not. And, I suspect many, many of us would desire his level of success and would like to obtain his worth. -dixon cannon

P.S. The Monkees are on tour again this year (2013) [with Mike Nesmith, I should add] to sell out crowds. I, for one still listen to their recordings and hardly a day goes by that, all these years later, one of their hits can't be heard on classic rock stations around the world. The Monkees; success and worth!

Last edited:
Well, I disagree Worf.
Cruise is great for the roles he (mostly) plays. Those hits would have likely sucked with someone less cocky.
I am likely the only one here that doesn't like Bogart. No apologies. Never "got him".
The Monkees? I don't agree on them either. It started as a joke, but they eventually grew to be decent and very enjoyable to me as a kid. The show is awesome campy.
Look at the talent writing for them - Diamond, Boyce & Hart. No Beatles, but not Milli Vanilli either. Just my 2¢
And Mike Nesmith's mom invented "White Out". She was a secretary. For a while.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well opinions are like.... noses or mothers... everybody has or had one. We'll agree to "disagree". As a "manufactured" band the Monk's are right up there with "New Kids With Stuffed Socks" and "N-Suck"... Sorry, the only musician in the bunch was Nesmith who was a helluva guitarist. The rest????? Eeeeyah! As for the worth of Mr. Cruise vis a vis Bogart or Stewart of even Tom Hanks.... we shall see, time will tell.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo