Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is vintage clothing collecting GENETIC?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I googled myself using my maiden name this morning, to look up something that I had previously written and posted to another group. My intention was to grab it and re-post to the fedora lounge.

My maiden name is somewhat unusual, and not a standard name that is common. Much to my surprise, I came across quite a number of distant relatives who apparently love vintage as much as I do. This is not only a great opportunity to discuss vintage, it can potentially fill in gaps on the family tree.

Do you find that loving vintage, antiques, etc is genetic in your family? Or do you attribute this great find to the wonderful storage ability of google?

Vintage Betty

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
My mother has a penchant for vintage clothing and looks, so it could be...although, influence from a parent might fall more into the environment category. My dad isn't so much into it. Really, I think it leans toward the eclectic and eccentric side as much as a love for vintage looks.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My maternal grandmother has always been interested in history -- particularly family history. She was born in '29, still alive, still loving the "good old days."

My father was also always into older things. He was born in '41 so he was a teen in the 50s. He's always kinda been "stuck" there! I grew up listening to oldies, watching AMC, and having to look at framed photos of 50s cars on our walls!

My mother was always very modern. She always had to have the latest things -- which are now stupid and ugly. Before I was old enough to know any better, she got rid of our beautiful 1930s piano and THREW AWAY all the sheet music that was still in the seat!!! My dad always tells me horror stories of my mother throwing away HIS mother's old clothes and trinkets from the 20s and 30s. I'm so glad I didn't take after her ;)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmmm.....both of those examples are very close to you, and also could be environmental. Do you have any distant relatives who also have the same interests you do?

VB

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Could be environmental. But my mother was (and still is) very modern. I could have easily gone that route, but I didn't.

When I was a kid I was scared of older things. They freaked me out in an "I'm-actually-fascinated-by-this" way.

I can remember so many experiences of me being freaked out by old things when I was a kid. I remember going into this very old man's office -- this office looked like it came out of an RKO movie, circa 1930! There was a HUGE water stain on the ceiling and a bit of it was falling down. On the walls were framed photos from the 1920s -- school photos of some sort. I was VERY YOUNG when this happened. I recently asked my dad about this and his jaw dropped. He said "How could you remember that! You were only 2!!!"

I've always been AWARE of older things. Even before I knew what it all meant.

Edward

Bartender
I don't know how far removed it is, may not be genetic, but I've definitely inherited my grandmother's hoarding impulse, which neither of my folks really have. Not that they're unsentimental, but they do tend to be good at being realistic, whereas I'll keep everything - i'm even hard pushed to get rid of old magazines. Interestingly, neither of my folks are at all into horror films, but I got into them in a big way into my late teens and early 20s - still am a fan. One of my grandmother's favourite films is Halloween (the original)... I wonder is that an inherited trait!

I've not come across ditant relatives with the same interests as I do, though... for the most part, as far as I'm aware, my eccentricities are entirely my own. Maybe I'm the black sheep of the family. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My brother restored old John Deere tractors and loved antique mechanical things. My mother and aunt have kept housewares from their ancestors; my aunt, for the sentimental value; my mom, mostly because she can't throw anything away. I can't think of anyone else besides me and my brother who like the old stuff of strangers.

lyburnum

Practically Family
None of my family are interested in vintage unfortunately. They all think I'm weird because of the interests I have - and my Mother out right hates the way I dress. However I've always been the oddball in my family (extended included) so I think that has more to do with it than anything for me.

nulty

One of the Regulars
I think collecting can be genetic and exclusive of a specific genre. My Mom too thinks I'm a nut case, She likes the hats though because 25 years of hat wearing has been in memory of her father. the rest though she considers over indulgence..

All the men on My fathers side collect something, which they get from my Fathers Mother...

I don't know what I would do, as a guy mind you, if I had a relative into vintage..it would be interesting

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm definitely an anomaly in my family--nobody that I know of is/was a collector or interested in vintage. Don't know where I came from!

panamag8or

Practically Family
I come from a long line of pack rats, rather than "collectors". My Grandfather collected coins, but I think he did it more as an investment. He also collected Jim Beam bottles. Talk about a worthless collection...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My dad wore and collected vintage back in the '70s. Unfortunately all that's left of what he had is a stetson derby and a smoking jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
..Heaven...?

imoldfashioned said:
I'm definitely an anomaly in my family--nobody that I know of is/was a collector or interested in vintage. Don't know where I came from!

Heaven perhaps...?:)

And just think, next month on the Queen Mary, you can parade all those lovely vintage pieces just like Fred and Ginger in this clip, and you'll "be in heaven..."

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzQiu8nwpgM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzQiu8nwpgM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Feraud

Bartender
I am not sure if collecting is genetic but it can certainly be environmental.
Families pass along a love of collecting and other hobbies to their offspring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart