Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It’s too late to matter

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
...because I just ordered it, but curious on fit comparison between Aero Cafe Racer vs Highwayman.

I just ordered a Highwayman from Aero.

So how are the sleeves, torso, etc. by comparison.

Speaking from only what I've seen here and assuming you're not talking about the premier fit HWM...the CR is much more slim throughout the entire pattern but most notably the waist. I've seen the HWM referred to as boxy but I'm not sure I agree that's the right term. Oh and congrats man!

dan_t

Practically Family
Congrats, as it's an Aero I doubt you'll be unhappy either way.
They are massively different fits in my opinion.

The Aero Café racer design (I've had 3) tapers quite noticeably from the arm pits to the waist. It's actually quite an aggressive taper too. I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy and have a chest measurement of 44". I wear either 33" or 34" jeans (depending on the cut etc). To get a great fit for me, I had to add between 0.5" - 0.75" to each side panel on the café racer design. Then it's my favorite fit so far of the Aero's that I've owned.

The Highwayman design (I've owned 2) is definitely a boxy cut. Designed for a very different fit altogether. The fit through the torso is very generous and many people on this forum have talked about sizing down one whole size to compensate. There are both pro's and con's to this approach & I understand that Carrie at TB often recommends this.

In essence, they are both wonderful jacket designs that have stood the test of time, but are suited to different purposes.

Here are a couple of pic's that (hopefully) illustrate the difference. First 2 are the café racer pattern & the last 2 are the highwayman pattern.

Sheene (1 of 11).jpg
Sheene (5 of 11).jpg
Ace (1 of 10).jpg
Ace (5 of 10).jpg

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Aero Café racer design (I've had 3) tapers quite noticeably from the arm pits to the waist. It's actually quite an aggressive taper too. I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy and have a chest measurement of 44". I wear either 33" or 34" jeans (depending on the cut etc). To get a great fit for me, I had to add between 0.5" - 0.75" to each side panel on the café racer design. Then it's my favorite fit so far of the Aero's that I've owned.

The Highwayman design (I've owned 2) is definitely a boxy cut. Designed for a very different fit altogether. The fit through the torso is very generous and many people on this forum have talked about sizing down one whole size to compensate. There are both pro's and con's to this approach & I understand that Carrie at TB often recommends this.

In essence, they are both wonderful jacket designs that have stood the test of time, but are suited to different purposes.

Here are a couple of pic's that (hopefully) illustrate the difference. First 2 are the café racer pattern & the last 2 are the highwayman pattern.

View attachment 91471 View attachment 91472 View attachment 91473 View attachment 91474

well said!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
...because I just ordered it, but curious on fit comparison between Aero Cafe Racer vs Highwayman.

I just ordered a Highwayman from Aero.

So how are the sleeves, torso, etc. by comparison.

It's probably not too late if you do change your mind about something. Follow up with the company, and they can make changes. They have some lead time before they'll start on your order, so it's totally fine to make changes before they start.

Yep, dan_t's post is spot on.

Having had both of these jackets, my experience is the same.
CR...
Aggressive taper from chest to waist, V shaped
Really slim around the waist
Relatively broad shoulders (compared to other CR's that is)
Higher armpits
Forward facing sleeve openings (not drastically, though, just more than on the HWM)

HWM...
No taper (tho some can be achieved with the side straps), roomy all around without being oversized
Not really comfortable on a bike, despite being so boxy
Wider sleeves and sleeve openings
Runs one to two sizes larger compared to CR (I'm 40/42 in a CR and 36/38 in a HWM (40 was waaay too large for me))

Edward

Bartender
The HWM is an absolute classic. FWIW, I downsize one size for it from the size I would wear in the Aero pre-war halfbelt designs. (42 HWM, 44HB). I fidn that works. The HWM, when I'm svelter, sllows me to wear a sweater under it, though doesn't look oversized without. Fro years, I avoided one because I thought it would be too boxy, but was then seduced by a deal on an 'Apprentce Made' one. It has gone on to be one of my favourite jackets, a very easy go-to. Enjoy!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I have a great deal to add to what others have said, particularly @dan_t regarding comparison between the HWM and CR patterns that are very different in fit and design. A CR in size 42 with 2.5" added to the circumference of the waist and 27" back & sleeves gives me a perfect fit. I previously owned a size 42 HWM that was probably one size too big for me, especially in the torso and waist area.

If you decide to proceed with a CR or Sheene, my advice would be to go through Thurston and have Carrie send you a CR fit jacket. In my case a friend sent me his size 42 Sheene that already had 1" added to the circumference; so I went directly through Holly and Denny rather than Thurston. With only an additional 1.5" added to the circumference of the waist from the baseline of the Sheene on the left, you can see the difference. My impression of the CR/Sheene design is that it can be unforgiving of fit, as @dan_t has already discovered.

2015-06-20 15.29.48 HDR.jpg 2015-08-18 14.51.23.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
HWM being a boxier fit will be a whole lot more comfy to wear than a cafe racer. Cafe racer is essentially a motorcycle jacket and in my opinion is best suited to that role.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Thank you to everyone. Some on here may remember, I have owned a Sheene (favorite so far), a cafe, a Thedi, and this will be my first HWM. I’m stoked.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention the arms are bit bigger on the HWM than the CR/Sheene. I have a size 42 brown CXL FQHH Teamster with 27.5" sleeves and 28.5" back that is not too different than your size 44 CXL FQHH HWM that I wore today on a cool, rainy day in Dallas. The FQHH on my Teamster is very flexible and has a nice hand. The main difference between my Teamster and Vicenza Sheenes is the Teamster is significantly heavier, primarily due to the CXL FQHH being packed with waxes that provides a high degree of water resistance. I'm sure you will love your HWM, and be sure to post fit pictures on arrival and then again 1-2 years later.

Last edited:

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I forgot to mention the arms are bit bigger on the HWM than the CR/Sheene. I have a size 42 brown CXL FQHH Teamster with 27.5" sleeves and 28.5" back that is not too different than your size 44 CXL FQHH HWM that I wore today on a cool, rainy day in Dallas. The FQHH on my Teamster is very flexible and has a nice hand. The main difference between my Teamster and Vicemza Sheenes is the Teamster is significantly heavier, primarily due to the CXL FQHH being packed with waxes that provides a high degree of water resistance. I'm sure you will love your HWM, and be sure to post fit pictures on arrival and then again 1-2 years later.
Will do Fanch!;)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
TnJ I have (and love) your old Scheene. I think you will do fine with the Highwayman listed, especially since it has good long sleeves (like your old Scheene). It's a different cut and fit for sure, but as has been very well said above, you will likely get used to the fit rather quickly. It'll be easier to layer under as well. Absolutely a classic you have coming! :)

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
TnJ I have (and love) your old Scheene. I think you will do fine with the Highwayman listed, especially since it has good long sleeves (like your old Scheene). It's a different cut and fit for sure, but as has been very well said above, you will likely get used to the fit rather quickly. It'll be easier to layer under as well. Absolutely a classic you have coming! :)
You just made my night!!! Thank you aerofan!

tnjyoung

A-List Customer

View attachment 91471 View attachment 91472 View attachment 91473 View attachment 91474
I keep staring....the color and break-in of that Sheene is amazing! Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21