Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian hatshop

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Pretty cool site! Though mt Italian is rusty, it sounds like if you don't know the type of hat you want you can show them a photo and they can work from there. Cool.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It was fascinating to see photos of someone making a hat. I have had it described to me, in detail, but seeing pictures gives me a lot better understanding. Seeing it in person is probably a zillion times better...

karol

gobler

One of the Regulars
The more I learn the process of hatters (is that correct?) and the different styles, the more my admiration of hats and wearing them grows. Joseph thanks for sharing your knowledge with this fine lounge. :clap

Cheers,
Jeff

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
It was fascinating to see photos of someone making a hat. I have had it described to me, in detail, but seeing pictures gives me a lot better understanding. Seeing it in person is probably a zillion times better...

karol

If you ever get to Chicago, look up Optimo hat co. I got to watch Graham make a hat from scratch. On another site POS :

said they were machine made. Wrong!!

I can't wait till Art Fawcett gets his New hat shop built. I'm going to see him and try to find the Elk he is going to have tied to a tree for me! LOL. :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great site Matt, thanks for finding it. One thing that these photo's don't show is the pouncing of the hat. This tells me that they don't do it!! They have to be using pre-finished felts in order to escape this step.
It IS interesting that they are able to build the hat in a different way by using this felt. Hmmmm more experimenting. :p

Michael D

Familiar Face
I have really enjoyed looking at the Cappelleria Melegari website. I really like the Super Barbisio! I know where I'm going if (when) I take my next trip to Milan!

From this site I found the link to Borsalino's website. The link is http://www.borsalino.it

Under the Art of the Hat section there are photos of the felting and hat making process. It's very brief but still I thought it was informative. It's interesting to me that they call the pouncing phase, pumicing which makes sense when you consider that pumice has been used as a abrasive for hundreds of years.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff