Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's what I get for not reading the article further. There have been a handful of hats marked Picot posted, one of which is this Resistol. I don't think anyone has posted any info about Picot.

ryanbolson

New in Town
Optimo milans
DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

WOW!!! I'd love to get a couple of those. Some of the best looking straw hats

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just picked this up on ebay. Interesting hat, fairly soft but definitely seems to be straw. Based on the name, C.R. Anthony, it's suppsed to be from prior to 1947. Anyone have an idea of what the type of straw might be? The actual hat is dark black, the flash is showing it lighter.
Black2_opt.jpg

Black1_opt.jpg

Black4_opt.jpg

Black5_opt.jpg

Black6_opt.jpg

Here's some info on C.R.Anthony Co. stores, I remember them when I was a boy. It was one of my mothers favorite stores. The suit I wore to my graduation was from them. They were all over Texas and Oklahoma. NICE Milan BTW.I like the ribbon :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._R._Anthony_Co.

Last edited:

Omne

Familiar Face
That's what I get for not reading the article further. There have been a handful of hats marked Picot posted, one of which is this Resistol. I don't think anyone has posted any info about Picot.

I'm going out on a limb here but could picot be oat straw? I found an etymology reference that equates picot with peck and refers to it mainly being used to measure oats since the 13th century. They used to grow a certain type of oat that was used for basket and other weaving in the UK. It also grows elsewhere in Europe. The fibers on the hat do look like the pictures I've found of woven oat straw but are smaller and finer.

I could see the commercial drawbacks to stamping " Imported Oat Straw" in a hat.

" You want me to pay for a hat made out of what's growing in my back 40?"

Last edited:

One Too Many
I got my straws out of storage today.

Scala Boater

Scala.jpg

Olney Boater

Olney.jpg

Broner straw. I'll keep this around until I get something better. I'm not a fan of stingy straws anymore. I need a wide brim to protect me from the Spring/Summer sun.

Broner2.jpg

Ernest
Hi Ernie ¡¡¡ I like the first two, this boater hats are beautiful and now is the time for wear them.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey Ed,

Maybe we need to add a Coconut-straw Corral to that list!

There were a few coconuts added to this year's straw market. I was excited to see them making a comeback. There were neat old c-crowns and porkpies both out there, and they add a nice change of pace to the others.

Sadly, Kansas is simply too windy for boaters ... unless you get that surgical screw operation to keep on in place.

Sam

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I wonder if this hat is flattering to me. A Panama Bob, that I love, and get compliments on, but it seems it does not have the 'classic' straw hat shape. I was thinking a bigger brim (bigger than the one on my Stetson Saxon fur hat) because of the need for sun protection, but maybe it is too something?

IMG00103.jpg

P3100320.jpg

here I am in fur hats

steston saxon

P3100324-1.jpg

akubra
P3190366.jpg
P3190367.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member