Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Big_e

Practically Family
I got my straws out of storage today.

Scala Boater

Scala.jpg

Olney Boater

Olney.jpg

Broner straw. I'll keep this around until I get something better. I'm not a fan of stingy straws anymore. I need a wide brim to protect me from the Spring/Summer sun.

Broner2.jpg

Ernest

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Nice stuff, all! I've emailed Mr. Bob himself to ask about the crown height and brim width on his discounted models, esp. the Teardrop. I presume, since he describes them as "in-stock," they're already woven. Is it possible to have a brim trimmed, though? Or must a panama be fashioned to a specific brim width during the weaving process?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Great hats, guys.

Alan ... I had a leghorn just like that one, except the pug was navy. Otherwise they were twins. I bought it a year or two after I started working for the paper and wore it for many summers in some adverse conditions until it finally just wore out.
I wish I'd been smart enough to know that they'd get as hard to find as they have. I'd have been a better steward.

Big Man ... You look like you just stepped out of the 40s onto that board walk! Nice hat!

Sam

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a teardrop to me. I didn't specify the crease, I just picked out the ribbon.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Looks like a teardrop to me. I didn't specify the crease, I just picked out the ribbon.

Ah, I see. Well, if I'm making a phone order, would it be better for me to just leave the ribbon up to them? I'm not too sure they state what ribbons they have on their website.

Omne

Familiar Face
Black milan

Just picked this up on ebay. Interesting hat, fairly soft but definitely seems to be straw. Based on the name, C.R. Anthony, it's suppsed to be from prior to 1947. Anyone have an idea of what the type of straw might be? The actual hat is dark black, the flash is showing it lighter.
Black2_opt.jpg

Black1_opt.jpg

Black4_opt.jpg

Black5_opt.jpg

Black6_opt.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It looks like milan to me - milan is sometimes died black. Why is it supposed to be '47 or earlier? Just a quick search shows that most CR Anthony stores were around until 1997 and that there might still be some under that name.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think he's relying on this line from the Wiki and FB pages.

By 1947 C.R. Anthony changed the name of his 75 store chain to Anthonys.

Omne

Familiar Face
It looks like milan to me - milan is sometimes died black. Why is it supposed to be '47 or earlier? Just a quick search shows that most CR Anthony stores were around until 1997 and that there might still be some under that name.

From what I can find they changed all of the stores from " C. R. Anthony Co." to " Anthonys" in 1947. The original price tag is still under the band and it's marked $4.98
The sweat band says " Imported Picot" which isn't easy to research since picot appears to be a weave type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21