Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Dobbs San Juan shantung panama 4" brim. At least that is when the sun shines and that ain't been a lot lately. Purchased in Charleston, SC 8yrs ago.

Attachments

• 20220408_113053.jpg
    20220408_113053.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20220408_113114.jpg
    20220408_113114.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20220408_113157.jpg
    20220408_113157.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Veering dangerously close to the main topic of this thread, Ladies and Gentlemen I now present a Toyo straw Pork Pie from Hats in the Belfry's "Malone" line:

2qcphJY.jpg

4" crown with a Diamond Crease, 2" brim, in a shade of brown they've dubbed "Chocolate" (probably because the color they call "Brown" looks like something you might find in a baby's used diaper), and nicely ventilated without a liner. Lightweight and comfortable, this is the first hat I've obtained in a long time that I haven't felt the need to modify in some way.
Fantastic pork pie! Now I want a piece of chocolate cake!

...The hat looks great, it suits you too, just the thing in that glorious west coast sunshine.
Thank you Sir, that's very kind. While I was out running errands today the external temperature indicator on my car's dashboard indicated it was 103°F, but those vent holes in the hat's crown managed to keep me quite comfortable. I hope that Toyo straw is somewhat durable, 'cause I'd like to be wearing this hat for a while. ;)

Fantastic pork pie! Now I want a piece of chocolate cake!
Mmmm, chocolate cake...er, I mean, thanks! It's a nice hat. :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Sir, that's very kind. While I was out running errands today the external temperature indicator on my car's dashboard indicated it was 103°F, but those vent holes in the hat's crown managed to keep me quite comfortable. I hope that Toyo straw is somewhat durable, 'cause I'd like to be wearing this hat for a while. ;)
Your remarks about the hat reminded me of a quip I received by way of a link to Facebook. Not being familiar with Facebook I emailed back an apology that I couldn't access the link. Almost immediately an explanation came back. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

A 100 year old lady was chatting with Jay Leno. She said she went somewhere and it was very windy so she was holding her hat on and her dress flew up. A man said to her "lady you know you are showing everything you've got". Her answer was "what's down there is 100 years old, my hat is new!". Leno fell apart laughing.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Here's my straw hat parade.
Parade.jpeg
Whenever I'm down south in a 'touristy' area I look for a nice, cheap straw. I've had a few made of paper over the years, they look good when new, especially in white, but none of them have survived longer than a season or two. With springtime here and summer coming, I pulled out my straws from their winter lodgings.
Leading the parade is a Scala I probably bought in New Orleans before the plague. Nicely vented, comfortable and stylish. Scala.jpeg
My newest straw I picked up last year in an Army Navy store in New Jersey. I went to visit my elderly mom for a night and ended up staying a week. I had to go shopping for extra clothes, and then my brother in law invited me out on his boat so I needed a sun hat. This patriotic number fit the bill. Also, the only hat I have with a Cattleman's Crease (not that I even knew what that was a year ago!)
Cattleman Crease USA.jpeg
This "Australian Designed" number was my go to beach hat for years, with it's chin strap keeping it on my head and it's vents keeping me cool. Got a few holes now so it's my gardening hat. No sweatband, but a nice little piece of fabric to keep your forehead from getting scratched up. Aussie.jpeg
Aussie Hat w original felt.jpeg
Finally, another Scala. Fairly ancient, probably older than the "Aussie" and very weathered. The fiber feels a bit salty, must have been caught in the rain because the sweat (a stretchy fabric) is all gnarly. Kind of scratchy on your skin. I almost tossed it, but was inspired by the "Aussie" to stitch a piece of felt onto the sweat where it meets the forehead. I wrapped a bandana around it for a ribbon. An open weave for venting, but fabric under the brim and crown for sun protection. I've always loved this hat so I'm glad to have revived it. I should put a couple of stitches into the bandana to keep it in place. Scala Bandana.jpeg Scala Bandana w felt.jpeg Scala Bandana Sweatband.jpeg
As the weather warms up I'll post headshots in the "What Are You Wearing Today" thread.
But, meantime, here's an old one from a different day on Joe's boat, with the original ribbon on the resurrected Scala Bandana. on the boat.jpg

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Considering it’s Central Florida outside it’s already straw season 2023 for many, if not all days…. At least in the afternoon. Anyhow, a hemp Stratoliner in navy-surprisingly a very versatile color- that I love so much I ordered a second in natural that I found for $50 off. I’ll get some better pics soon…but in the meantime…..

A3B050F3-90D3-4268-8EBB-6C364C0B630E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk