Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Suede & Banana Republic Safari

jb2004me

New in Town
Hey All,
My earlier post was removed. Reviewing previous sticky posts I think I know why (rhymes with "me gay"). My intention was to get some feedback on my 2 favorite jackets that I'm parting with. What do you think about these? Any ideas on the J. Peterman one? I can't seem to find info about a suede safari anywhere.
8a7191f3.jpg

0d7bf65b.jpg

jb2004me

New in Town
True, but I'm in Newfoundland, Canada so it serves as all season wear here - icebergs, snow in May, etc. :) What do you call that "gussett" mid-shoulder blade? Is it an "action back" as I've seen here?

Baggers

Practically Family
jb2004me said:
True, but I'm in Newfoundland, Canada so it serves as all season wear here - icebergs, snow in May, etc. :) What do you call that "gussett" mid-shoulder blade? Is it an "action back" as I've seen here?

I think an action back is actually just another term for a "bi-swing" back where you have a fully constructed gusset running down each side of the back from the shoulder seams to the waist. Sometimes, there's a piece of interior elastic crossing between each one in order to keep them neat and closed. If it's just an open pleat coming out of the lower seam of the shoulder yoke on each side, then it's just a shoulder pleat.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

jb2004me

New in Town
Thanks for the info! The gussett is in the centre of the back, and is like a slit with a backing, sort of allowing for expansion without tearing at the centre seam. I have it pointed out in blue below...Not sure if there's a term for it or not.
6a3b513b.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
That's an inverted pleat. Some are of simple construction while others are more involved with lines of stitching to help it keep its shape and lay neat and flat. Just one of the ways to give the wearer a bit of additional range of movement.

Cheers!

jb2004me

New in Town
Awesome, thanks for your help! I'm not used to details such as these, being raised in mass-market duds for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff