Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Victoria Falls Jacket

Baggers

Practically Family
Finally, Pictures!

Okay gang (Hemingway :p ), here they are. My photo essay on the Victoria Falls jacket. I shot a several, to help you all out in your deliberations. Ignore the goofy looking, balding old coot modeling it, it's my evil twin. Enjoy!

Oh, by the way, this one is heading back to J. Peterman in a day or two, but if anyone interested is a size 42, I'll gladly send it their way for what I've got invested in it (purchase price plus JP's shipping charge).

VictoriaFallsJacket01.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket02.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket03.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket04.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket05.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket06.jpg

VictoriaFallsJacket07.jpg

Whew!

As a side note, I saw that my card was charged today and I didn't get a call from J. Peterman to tell me they were out of my size, so I guess the striped linen jacket I ordered yesterday has shipped. I'll report on it when it arrives.

Cheers!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, I'm a gang now!

Wow! I think that is really very very nice. I especially like the lapels. They look very vintage. I love the inside pockets down bottom and the half lining is perfect for summer. The lining material reminds me of the material Ralph Lauren uses. The belted back is great too.

That is a very nice jacket. I'm surprised you're unhappy with it.

-Nothing wrong with the pictures; you just need to put a hat on.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
That is a very nice jacket. I'm surprised you're unhappy with it.

-Nothing wrong with the pictures; you just need to put a hat on.

I'm not unhappy with it, I'm just not over the moon with it so far. So you think it looks good, eh? Hmmm, let me rethink this...

As for a hat, If I'd done these earlier in the day before dark I probably would have worn one of my pith helmets, probably the Indian pattern solar topee I picked up at Banana Republic back in the eighties when it was still a decent place to shop.

Thinking on this a bit more, perhaps if I paired it up with the linen trousers I got from Orvis a year or so back, and added a white shirt and tie, and maybe some canvas shoes...

(this is what I get for watching part of "Passage To India" tonight. I'm a sucker for those colonial epics)

Cheers!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Honestly Baggers, that's the look that jacket was made for. You could wear a tobacco colored linen shirt with an ascot, or a white linen shirt with a 1930's vintage tie; a pair of linen pants and nice boots. Johdpurs would work as well, but tough to pull off at the local shopping mall.

The thing I like about that jacket is its versatility. It could be dressed down like Hemingway in the bush or paired with a bowtie and shirt for a nice summer dinner.

I am a bit overextended at the moment (I picked a rather nice Burberry Blazer that I will be posting about soon), but were it not for my sudden fiscal discipline, I would buy one of these right now.

Baggers

Practically Family
Ascot, eh? That would look rather smashing, what? And yes, you're right, boots and johds would be a bit much for Saturday shopping. It's too bad I don't have a horse anymore (I haven't ridden in 20 years), it would have been a great look for a day at the hunter/jumper show.

Didn't someone post a picture of Clark Gable wearing a similar jacket? That's what made me look at this one in the first place.

Let's see, a cigarette holder clenched in my teeth and a tall gin and tonic in my hand. God, I could look positively insufferable if I worked at it! Anyone for sundowners? :cheers1:

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers, my compliments! A very sharp jacket, and very distinguised.

Hemingway has it right; that looks like a very versatile jacket. I look forward to more picures. I have very little originality, so I count on those of you with style and taste to give me ideas!

Scotrace, you've got me pretty anxious right now! I'm waiting for a Rhinohide jacket as we speak (where is that dang thing?!). I find the problem of extra material at the waist in just about everything off the rack. I know I shouldn't complain, especially since it is primarily due to stress that I'm staying trim and not through any self-discipline or exercise regimen.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Mojave Jack said:
Yes, that jacket is right up my alley. I'm really jealous, Matt. If only Peterman would do his clothes in talls, darn it! How 'bout those pics?!

I ended up picking up an Orvis Rhinohide jacket as the next best thing, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Baggers, how 'bout some pics of your Land Rovers (in the appropriate forum, of course)?

They used to have short and talls before he went out of business and brought it back again. Perhaps with more sales the short and tall selections will return.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Scotrace, you've got me pretty anxious right now! I'm waiting for a Rhinohide jacket as we speak (where is that dang thing?!). I find the problem of extra material at the waist in just about everything off the rack. I know I shouldn't complain, especially since it is primarily due to stress that I'm staying trim and not through any self-discipline or exercise regimen.
I think I would exchange it for this jacket. The Rhinohide is nice, but it doesn't have the classic styling of this one. It may also be warm out there in the desert. :cool:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mojave Jack said:

There's no better weight loss regimen than The Worry Diet. ;)

Hope the Orvis jacket works out - they always look SO good in the catalogs.

Baggers

Practically Family
Matt,
You've probably had yours long enough, how does it look after washing, and did you just follow the label instructions or did you do something different? Also, any shrinkage?

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Got one similar

It may be a prototype for the Victoria falls. It from Peterman and the person I got it from is in Lexington. It doesn't have the peaks on the back or the teo low inside pockets. The color is darker khaki also. I'll take some pics in the morning and try to post tomorrow.

until here are the ones I bought it from

e3_1.JPG

f1_1.JPG

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
You've had that jacket for several hours now! Where are the pictures? The review??

:p
Whoa there, big feller,
If I have it, it's at home waiting for me.
At the moment, I am still sans jacket!

BTW, I really am going to stop buying things; my Am Ex bill is ridiculous! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass