Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Victoria Falls Jacket

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I made some alterations while you were asleep-

Hem.jpg
Hem1.jpg

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks, Matt. I really like it. I wear it all of the time.

You know, BT, maybe I will take it to the tailor's and see if I could have it taken in a little. I am going to check the fit when I get home. I like the way the photo looks. Though, perhaps a gym is in order, and not a tailor. :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I like the jacket Hemingway- I think it has a good vintage aura about it- and as you may have guessed, I'm a big sucker for the vintage utilitarian and adventuring gear..
Many vintage utilitarian garments forwent the voluminous lapels and other non-functional affectations of the street fashions, practicality- function over form perhaps- think vintage -bush Jackets(of course) so I think the relatively small lapels of this jacket are not a (vintage) problem and the rest of the details are pretty cool- and functional- in intent at the least.

I was just toying with the picture for my own amusement and then thought- why not post it(?).

A little tailoring or creative home-stitchery may well make the most of the existing detailing- a belted back without a little pinch is more of a back... er ... with a belt. Could make a huge world of difference.

I thank you for your exposes and photo essays to date and anticipate more.
All those long hours on the rooftop...

Have a great weekend-

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This is the same jacket that Yves Massarde wore in the movie "Sahara", the Dirk Pitt adventure. I thought it was a sharp looking coat. Now seeing it on you gentlemen, I must aquire one for myself.
Nice touch with the ascot Hemingway. Now all you need is a pipe, a monicle and a big bore elephant gun. A gentleman and a scholar.

Cheerio!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baby Got Back

I dunno BT. This may be a tad too bootylicious.

Not that YOU have this quality at all, HJ. But the photo "enhancement...."

Now that I have this jacket, I can say that it's really super. I'm wearing it often. But the fabric is kinda funky-stretchy, and I find it odd that the cuffs are plain - no buttons or detailing at all.

BellyTank said:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Daniel. I am looking for a nice English pipe. The ascot is extremely versatile, by the way. It goes great with a blazer.

Scot, you crack me up, and scare me a little too.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hem,
I'm curious to know if you've washed or dry cleaned yours yet. I washed mine according to the instructions, and it got kind of "spongy" shape wise. I haven't worn it again yet, pondering my next move. I wonder if I should just hit it with a steam iron or take it to the dry cleaners and have it cleaned and pressed? My cleaners, however, has a sign posted warning customers that spandex blended fabrics have a tendency to shrink when dry cleaned and they will not accept responsibilty for any that occurs. It's only 4% of the fabric content, but I'm still nervous. Any tips?

Cheers,

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hmmm. When mine gets dirty, I'm just going to throw it away and buy another one. -Just kidding. ;)

Actually, I can't imagine that 4% spandex is going to effect much of anything. I am not an authority on dry cleaning fabrics, but some of our cleaners here in Boston have sterling reputations. Daisy has had 1930s silk gowns with lace dry-cleaned without a hitch, so I can't imagine that this jacket would be a problem. Perhaps you need a new cleaner; one with more confidence. [huh]

I'm sorrow I'm not much help.

I can say this; when in doubt, spot clean with a clean damp cloth. I have done that with some other delicate textiles.

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, heck, I guess I need to work for bank. That way I'll make enough money to buy disposable clothing! lol

Seriously, you're probably right about not being too concerned with that little spandex content. Maybe they were worried about someone's leotards shrinking up on them. I'll try giving it a careful ironing first, and then if I don't like the results I'll turn it over to the pros. You may be right, though, about finding a new cleaners. This shop isn't bad, but I've yet to find one here in the suburbs that can do a decent job with something out of the ordinary, not like I was able to find downtown 20 years ago when they still had old timers who knew how to press a military uniform before they started making them out of polyester. They all seem to be staffed by kids nowadays that don't know how to do a suit with a decent soft roll to the lapels.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm curious about this too.
That tiny bit of spandex changes the whole "hand" of the fabric. You can tug and stretch sections of it to a remarkable degree (kinda creepy). So it's possible that that little bit of spandex may make a difference when having it cleaned. The first thing my wife said when she looked at the content label was "be REALLY careful with heat when you iron this."

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the thumbs-up guys-

It's army surplus but VERY old army surplus- French for sure.

It's a very smart jacket- military cut and nicely detailed, with the back yoke, belt and pleating and also fake fold-back cuffs. Very old-school military.

It's smart but made in a course cotton khaki drill cloth- utilitarian in spirit and function, I guess.

I also have the matching baggy French khaki trousers!

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass