Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Victoria Falls Jacket

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yes... I bought it!

It's a belted-back action-back.
1636-4FLAPPOCKETJACKET.jpg

Wore it to work the last few days.

(96% cotton 4% Spandex)

It's like a very very casual sport jacket... makes me yearn for a full on safari jacket.

Paired with some khakis and a rough looking shirt and a hat that say's, "the canoes and gear are over there", the jacket is perfect for field missions, especially if you are a foreign correspondent covering the war. Pockets hold more than enough. It's washable and easily stows in your haversack. I've already slept in the jacket so it's comfy too... especially with the double pleated action back. Pics to follow.

It's pretty cool, just don't wear it with a white dress shirt and pretty tie... the look will make you appear to be a Land Rover Dealer.

http://www.jpeterman.com/cgi-bin/sg...4190431&HTNAME=\html\jp-products/OM\1636.html

Baggers

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Yes... I bought it!

I did too and it's been on a hanger since it arrived Saturday while I make a final decision on whether to keep it. I like the styling, but I can't decide whether or not I like the faux vent on the lower edge of the yoke with the lining fabric on the underside. Help talk me into it! ;)

And what's this about Land Rover dealers? I've got a Discovery and a Defender sitting in the garage right now, does your warning extend to drivers as well? :p

Cheers!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack and I were discussing this jacket on Sunday, both of us contemplating a purchase.
Matt, I would really like to see some photos, with all due respect to Peterman's watercolorists. ;)

Baggers

Practically Family
Yes, the double pleats work great, but that's not what I was referring to. Look at the double scalloped lower seam of the shoulder yoke on the back of the jacket. It has a "flap" about a half inch wide running along it that's lined on the underside with the striped lining material. I called it a faux (fake) vent because that was what it reminded me of -- a back vent similar to what I've seen on Italian army sahariana jackets from the 1930s. Is it just a modern styling touch, or does it have a basis in vintage fashion more than what I've already compared it to?

Cheers!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You see the scalloped back on many jacket designs, I've seen it on catalog pics from the 20's and it was used alot on western styles in the 40's and 50's. Having it open for air I have seen on shirts and safari jackets before, though if it's not open it's just a style thing.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baggers...

Probably one of the best pics ever posted here is the one you put up of the turtle neck and lightweight horse barnstormer you have.

Personally, I wish you'd shrink that picture and use it as your avatar. I always have to think a moment about who I'm reading. "Oh yes, it's not the jarring cartoon guy, it's the nice, smiling chap in the barnstormer."

Regards,
Scott

Baggers

Practically Family
Believe it or not, the barnstormer pic had completely slipped my mind when I was casting about for an avatar. The "jarring cartoon guy," is just a character with whom I've had a rather close relationship the last couple of years and who also happens to wear a hat. ;) Thanks for the feedback, I'll make the switch sometime today.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Matt Deckard said:
Yes... I bought it!

It's a belted-back action-back.
1636-4FLAPPOCKETJACKET.jpg

Wore it to work the last few days.

...Pics to follow.

Thumbing through the catalog this evening made me wonder when the pictures of this jacket might be coming? Please? Has anyone gotten the action-back linen blazer Peterman is showing now?

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Thumbing through the catalog this evening made me wonder when the pictures of this jacket might be coming? Please? Has anyone gotten the action-back linen blazer Peterman is showing now?

I may be able to post a snap or two of mine sometime today. No promises, but I'll try.

What action back linen blazer are you writing about, that brown and tan striped number, or something newer?

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
That one yes, but it's not online it seems.
Do you like your Victoria Falls jacket?

Ehhh, I don't know. I haven't worn it for more than a couple of minutes at a time since it arrived, otherwise, it's stayed on the hanger. To be fair, weather has been a big reason why it hasn't left the house, but mainly I can't see where it would play a big part in my wardrobe. I just can't get enthused about it.

My problem is that I already have more than a couple of bush and safari style jackets in my closet and this one just doesn't offer anything beyond simply being a "gentrified" version of what I've already got. That in itself isn't bad, but for me, if I'm going to add another khaki jacket to the collection, it's got to be something that gets me closer to my holy grail of the "ultimate bush jacket." The J. Peterman item just doesn't do that for me.

I'm about to decide on returning this one and getting that striped jacket that you asked about. It wouldn't duplicate something already in the closet and thus would add more value to my wardrobe.

EDIT: I just ordered the striped linen model. I was told that the "quantity on hand" number in my size (42) was down to 1, so I might get a call tomorrow to tell me they're out of stock. I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Mojave Jack and I were discussing this jacket on Sunday, both of us contemplating a purchase.
Matt, I would really like to see some photos, with all due respect to Peterman's watercolorists. ;)

Yes, that jacket is right up my alley. I'm really jealous, Matt. If only Peterman would do his clothes in talls, darn it! How 'bout those pics?!

I ended up picking up an Orvis Rhinohide jacket as the next best thing, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Baggers, how 'bout some pics of your Land Rovers (in the appropriate forum, of course)?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Where's the pictures???

Come on fellows, you've had these jackets long enough; share some pics!:)

Honestly, I really want to see it on because I am considering a purchase.

Regards,
-HJ

Baggers

Practically Family
Calm DOWN!

Jeez, Hemingway, don't get your knickers in a twist! My schedule got hijacked today and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon, I promise. :rolleyes:

Sheesh!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mojave Jack said:
I ended up picking up an Orvis Rhinohide jacket as the next best thing, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Also interesting. I'm 6' 2", and everything I've orderd from Orvis, including the Rhinohide jacket, had to go back. It all seems to be made for a very big-bellied fellow.

Let us know how it fits?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baggers said:
Jeez, Hemingway, don't get your knickers in a twist! My schedule got hijacked today and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon, I promise. :rolleyes:

Sheesh!
You know what an exciteable fellow I am. :)

Scot, that's good to know about Orvis sizing.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
You know what an exciteable fellow I am. :)

Yeah well, just don't have an accident! :p

Pictures will be posted in an hour or two. They won't be much as I've lost my daylight, but I'll try to convey the essence of the thing.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland