Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for a lifetime: A2, or some alternative?

leonardg

New in Town
Hi all. First-time poster here. I really appreciate all the great info in these forums.

For my 30th birthday, my aging folks want to help me buy something that I'll continue to use and love long after they're gone. I've been eyeing flight jackets (generally in the A2 style) for awhile, and I'm thinking this is my opportunity to grab a good one.

This will be a big purchase for me, so I want to make sure I'm considering all my options. So: If you had about $1k to throw at a jacket that you'd be happy wearing now and in thirty years (and that's tough enough to last that long), what would you get?

By the way, if I do get an A2, I'd do so from Langlitz. Feel free to comment on that as well.

Thanks for your time!

LG

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I would do the same thing. I have a few of jacket types but the first one I went for was the A2. Let me recommend another site that will help you decide what you want. The site is www.vintageleatherjackets.org and a number of members here are members there too. These guys are the experts when it comes to the A2. They'll be able to tell you which one to get. You'll aslo be able to see other jackets to help you make a decision. Hope this helps.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Not to rain on the parade, but you're only 30. At 40 (like between 40th birthday and 41st birthday) you will suddenly go from a 44L to a 48 Long without noticing it. This is bad considering you bought a "lifetime" A-2 in 44L. Personally I have a B-3 flight jacket that's a big snug now... :(

It's part of that whole getting really old thing...

On the other hand, ten years is a long life for a jacket. :)

Later

leonardg

New in Town
Mike, rain away. I'd be foolish not to consider that, especially given my dad's abdominal endowments. That's why I've been trying to brainstorm some non-clothing gift ideas, such as a nice piece of luggage, but that seems so boring in comparison. Perhaps I should consider this jacket something I can wear for 10 years and then pass on to my kids at some point.

Silver Dollar, thanks for the link. I'll definitely do some digging in that forum (once I find a way back into my long-forgotten ISP email account).

Andrew, I've got my sights set on Langlitz because I'm a native Portlander. Not only would I be supporting a local business and buying a made-in-Portland product, but I can also try on their jackets and get fitted in the shop. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I will consider it.

Cheers!

aswatland

I see, so its supporting the local producer over getting the most accurate A2 on the market. I know what I would do........

leonardg

New in Town
aswatland said:
I see, so its supporting the local producer over getting the most accurate A2 on the market. I know what I would do........

To be honest, I've never found myself aligned with the die-hard purist mentality. A modern take on a classic is just fine for me. Plus, I'd like hand-warmer pockets (that's where I keep my lady's hand cozy), a gun pocket for my cell phone, and perhaps other "inaccurate" features.

And yes, the opportunity to buy a premium product that's designed and built in the city you know and love is quite compelling. I was in there the other day sorting through jackets with Dave (http://www.langlitz.com/dave.shtml), and the whole thing was very cool. Different strokes!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS said:
Hi

Not to rain on the parade, but you're only 30. At 40 (like between 40th birthday and 41st birthday) you will suddenly go from a 44L to a 48 Long without noticing it. This is bad considering you bought a "lifetime" A-2 in 44L. Personally I have a B-3 flight jacket that's a big snug now... :(

It's part of that whole getting really old thing...

On the other hand, ten years is a long life for a jacket. :)

Later

Not necessarily. I still wear some trim leather bike jackets I got when I was 22 - I'm 44 now. I've been a size 42 long since I was 20.

CBI

One Too Many
you live in Portland, GREAT - John Chapman/Good Wear lives in Seattle so a longer drive but doable for try-ons and you get a much better jacket and you are still supporting regional business.

The A-2 is your best bet however if you are wanting a one/all purpose go to wearer and its a one shot, one time only deal, you might want to consider one of John's Navy jackets. These are a bit more practical/user friendly jackets. I prefer the A-2 but if I were limited to just ONE choice, I would stongly consider the USN.

see the Good Wear website. You could also spend much less on an original G-1 jacket and still have lots of change left to send to helpful Fedora Lounge members.

Have fun choosing

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
CBI said:
you live in Portland, GREAT - John Chapman/Good Wear lives in Seattle so a longer drive but doable for try-ons and you get a much better jacket and you are still supporting regional business.

The A-2 is your best bet however if you are wanting a one/all purpose go to wearer and its a one shot, one time only deal, you might want to consider one of John's Navy jackets. These are a bit more practical/user friendly jackets. I prefer the A-2 but if I were limited to just ONE choice, I would stongly consider the USN.

see the Good Wear website. You could also spend much less on an original G-1 jacket and still have lots of change left to send to helpful Fedora Lounge members.

Have fun choosing

Sounds like pretty good advice. I would go with John's Californian Sportswear jacket myself - it's a doozy.

Dixon Cannon

I bought my Pack-In A2 with the left shoulder 'ciggie' pocket about 1980. Look's like I'll have it for life!

AZ-Joe1984.jpg
flight.jpg

c.1981

-dixon cannon

leonardg

New in Town
CBI said:

Okay, I'm listening. But why do you consider Good Wear "much better" than Langlitz? Accuracy reasons? I thought Langlitz was tough to beat from a quality standpoint.

CBI said:
The A-2 is your best bet however if you are wanting a one/all purpose go to wearer and its a one shot, one time only deal, you might want to consider one of John's Navy jackets.

These ones, right?
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/news_usnavy.html

What makes them more practical/friendly? The mouton? Goatskin? Langlitz actually has a used jacket very close the M-422 that I have my eye on.

Thanks again!

CBI

One Too Many
Without going overboard I think Good Wear has Langlitz beat in virtually every way unless there is a certain specific style that GW does not have that L does. GW's horsehide is the finest quality out there and has a unique vintage look due to the way it is milled/treated at the factory in Japan. I don't think any other company requests this type of processing. The leather looks like classic old style leather. I own original WWII A-2's and side-by-side, Good Wear looks like a "clone" jacket not some sort of "attempt" at recreation/"improving" a classic. Very similar can be said of the Goatskin, just great hide that looks indistinguishable from vintage 60 year old hide. In regards to any of GW's jackets that are copies of specific military contracts, the attention to EXACT re-creation is unmatched - period. If you decide on a repro A-2 no other makers get this close. After very short order wearing a Good Wear, the jacket tends to look completely like a NOS A-2. Good Wear is the only "vintage" flight jacket company that makes NO modern day concessions in regards cut and drape of the jacket. GW's sit on your body exactly the way a WWII A-2 would. Its a completely different cut than a Mall jacket or modern made garment. This classic cut looks better in my opinion, a smarter, structured look vs a "sloppy" contemporary cut.

I think it is generally agreed that the Navy jackets 422, G-1 etc. are more functional. They allow more unrestricted movement than an A-2 (partially due to the bi-swing back. The arm holes are roomier, the waist area sits lower (so less rid-up), the mouton collar is more comfortable, the lining is silkier (jacket easier to put on/take off), the inside chest pocket is a bit plus and the jackets seem to be a bit better at fighting off the cold. Also, as tough as horse hide is, I think goat (most all USN jackets are goat) lasts longer. In short, these Navy jackets are more ergonomically designed.

On the flip side, for me, the A-2 just looks so much cooler. What a classic look!

Stuff to think about. I'll bet if you paid John a visit in Seattle, it would be a done deal and you would have a blast talking to him about jackets.

A final point (maybe this is the case with Langlizt). Even with our uncertain economic times, Good Wear is getting slammed with orders. (I was talking with John the other day). The demand is HUGE.

I am sure some folks won't agree with some of these points. Just trying to help.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I guess this is what happens when you ask for comments on what you want.[huh] . The biggest problem is that everyone is making the decision for you on the basis of their personal preferences. If I were you, I would definitely go with what makes you happy and not what makes everyone else happy. You're the one that has to wear it and like how it looks on you. I used to think that when people saw me wearing the different A2's I own with the patches and nose art on the back, they knew what they were looking at. I found out that most folks out there never even cared what I was wearing. They didn't recognize the correctness of color or which contract my jacket was. I even went to a militaria show in my city where no one there even noticed what my jacket looked like. Nobody even gave me a glance. What does this all have to do with your choice? Just go with what you like. You're the only one that you have to make happy. That's all that really matters. Sorry guys, I have to tell it like I see it.

leonardg

New in Town
Great responses. CBI, thanks a lot for that explanation. And Silver Dollar, you're absolutely right, but I wasn't expecting to get The Right Answer. The more opinions I hear, the more informed the decision I end up making will be. So bring on the discord.

Consider my ignorance - I don't know how an original A-2 or 422 is supposed to wear or feel, nor do the vast majority of the people who will see me in this jacket. What I do know is that I love Langlitz's Portland history, and the used 422-ish jacket I tried on in the shop felt really great (and my fiance dug it).

CBI, the next time I'm in Seattle, the Good Wear shop will be a top-priority destination. You may have even convinced me to make a trip next week. I'm still leaning toward Langlitz, but if/when I need that genuine A-2, you know where I'll be headed.

rgraham

A-List Customer
I didn't know Langlitz made an A-2 style jacket.

If Langlitz has a jacket that fits, and is already lightly used and broken in, I would jump on it if the price were right. I have a Good Wear, and wear it all the time. Wouldn't part with it. I bought it for all the reasons above. The fact that no one knows that it is a super quality reproduction doesn't bother me. I know what it is, and that's all the matters.

For fit and function, I do like the G-1 for reasons also mentioned above. I could wear the A-2 most of the year, including summer, but the G-1 with the mouton collar would be a bit much. Both jackets are great.

pipvh

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum. If you've come this far, you've had it, basically. Your future is a wardrobe bursting with old, new, repro and original leathers, and there's nothing you can do about it...:)

My 2 cents: if you want a Langlitz - and why wouldn't you? - get the style they're famous for: variations on the motorcycle theme. Of all the jackets they make, the flight jacket looks the most unconvincing. But they've been making the Cascade, etc, since 1948. Having said that, this one looks cool, mostly because it doesn't look like a rough copy of an A2 or a G1:

big_others_jkt05.jpg

As yo live in the PNW it makes sense to check out Goodwear. Having seen many pics of forum members' GW pieces, nothing seems to come close for looks or accuracy.

I've seen Eastman Leather's A2s in the flesh and they are very, very nice, though a lot more expensive to buy in the States than here in the UK.

In a way it boils down to passion: both Langlitz and GW are passionate about what they make. Buy a motorcycle jacket and you tap into Langlitz' passion and tradition. John Chapman's passion is for repro military jackets. Either way you'll end up with something spectacular.

Pip

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
pipvh said:
My 2 cents: if you want a Langlitz - and why wouldn't you? - get the style they're famous for: variations on the motorcycle theme. Of all the jackets they make, the flight jacket looks the most unconvincing. But they've been making the Cascade, etc, since 1948.

Pip

That's right. Langlitz A2's may be very well made but they are not convincing. Langlitz are bike jacket guys. This distinction may not matter to you right now, but may bother you in a couple of years, if you start to get into leather jackets. That'd be a shame since you're wanting the jacket as life's companion.

leonardg

New in Town
I'm becoming more receptive to the point you guys are making, and I appreciate the effort.

rgraham, I've learned a lot more about these jackets (particularly A-2s versus 422s/G-1s) since starting this thread, and I don't think Langlitz can be considered to make a proper A-2 repro. Rather, my understanding now is that they make a general flight jacket style that can be customized to one's liking. Among other inaccuracies, the cargo pockets look too big for an A-2 (and maybe G-1s), and the mouton collar too wide and set too far back for a G-1.

Also, I spent a few hours on vintageleatherjackets.org last night. Tons of info there. But man, I would never propose this whole "modern take on a classic" scheme in that forum. They'd either stare at me blankly or rip my head off and drop-kick it.

pipvh - the used jacket I tried on in the shop is basically that one you posted with cargo pockets and hand-warmers. Does that bounce it back into the "rough copy" territory? I'll try to post a pic when I have more time.

Gotta head to the airport, but I'll continue to think about this. Once again, I really appreciate all of your help with this decision.

aswatland

leonardg said:
Also, I spent a few hours on vintageleatherjackets.org last night. Tons of info there. But man, I would never propose this whole "modern take on a classic" scheme in that forum. They'd either stare at me blankly or rip my head off and drop-kick it.

Several of us on this thread post regularly on VLJ and they would simply point you in the right direction to Good Wear if you want a great A2. There's no head ripping off there!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou