Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for a Ride in a B-17?

armscye

One of the Regulars
I'm scheduled to take a ride in "Aluminum Overcast", the flying B-17 owned by EAA, in early October. I'll post pix for sure.

Apparently there will be at least one actual WW2 ETO veteran there answering questions. My question is one of respect: if I wear a milspec A2 (I have two Coopers and a G&B) and chinos, am I honoring the veterans who flew these machines, or just a poseur? As a point of reference, I don't do patches on my jackets.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have many hours of flying on the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24. I have always worn A-2s (both with patches and without) and Khakis and have never had so much as a negative comment. Quite often I get a "what unit are you in?" or a comment from an elderly lady about how dashing an A-2 looks.

As a side note, I always had a sharpie with me at any of the airshows that I worked with the Foundation and whenever I met a veteran, I would have them autograph the lining of my jacket with name, rank unit and aircraft nickname. The look in the veteran's eye when you ask them to sign your jacket is priceless. I have one A-2 that is totally full and another that is about 1/2 full (my oldest son stole that one from me) and one that has no signatures yet.

Here is a pic of me in the copilot seat of the Foundation's B-24 just after landing. The A-2 I am wearing has painted captains bars, Hey Moe nose art and bombs and a 451st Bomb Group patch on the left breast as well as a 15th AAF patch on the sleve. The jacket is a replica of the one worn by a friend in WWII. While wearing it I had an old guy come up and say he thought that the unit on the patch was the best damn unit there was. When I asked why, he ended up being the deputy group commander and not only knew my old friend, but flew missions on Hey Moe!

b24d.jpg

So I say go for it, I am sure you wont be the only one there wearing one and wearing them just adds to the experience.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't spend too much time about that concern. About 15 yrs ago, I was persuaded to bring some of my AAF collection to Oshkosh for the annual airshow. Most of my uniforms and gear actually fit me. For that reason, I was asked to wear them during the event.

Naturally, I was hesitant for many of the reasons going through your mind right now. As it turned out, the vets were genuinely pleased to see me put forth that effort. It broke the ice to speak with them. It opened up their memories and became a very pleasant experience for all of us involved.

My advice, do as much research about the aircraft as you can, both the tech side and crew positions. Take some time to learn a bit about the various theatres that the Flying Fortresses were based. Asking a few questions you're really curious about and it will likely be an afternoon you'll never forget.

I've made some great friendships with the vets since that first day. I'm now on staff for the EAA Warbirds and get to see them much more often. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer each season.

One tip I like to share for those that take that wonderful ride. Be the last in line. Everyone is seated from back to front. By being the last, you'll get to sit in the jump seat behind the pilots. Not only will you see what it takes to get that bird in the air, you'll be first to drop down into the nose. Usually the crew will let you move there a few feet off the ground. There's no better view than leaving the runway looking through that huge plexiglas nose cone.

Enjoy the experience. It's the best money you'll spend outside of getting your next A-2!

archbury918

One of the Regulars
One side note about wearing the jacket. Over the past couple of years, the TSA has reared it's incompetent and ugly head with Aluminum Overcast flights.
Since the flights take place from civil airports, they fall under their jurisdiction.

We have had instances where the TSA forbade the wearing of caps and/or jackets for the 30 min flight. Don't ask me why and don't get me started about that ridiculous federal agency. I only mention it as a caution and from our experience with them.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I went on my first B-17 flight yesterday on the stunt double Memphis Belle. It was worth every cent! I wore a B-6 which was actually warmer than I needed. I kept my garrison cap tucked in a pocket except when I was in the nose. The large hatch over the radio room was open and it would have sucked any hat off your head! But all most exhilarating.

A veteran waist gunner who spent 13 months in Stalag 17B after crash landing went on the flight as well. He seemed pleased to see someone in the old uniform! I was honored to be flying on a WWII bomber with a genuine WWII bomber combat vet.

All that said, whatever jacket you wear on one of these flights is likely to be one you will never, ever wish to part with, so keep that in mind!

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow, what a great experience for you there, Foster. Am very, very envious !!!
And I agree with all the comments here for Armscye: wear your A2 and chinos with pride, mate.
For my money, people go to these things to re/experience distinct flavours of the past. Why spoil that by wearing (for example) a modern flight jacket?! Keep the expected flavours in place and add your own by wearing something appropriate to the event.
I have insignia on some of my jackets and I think they all add historical interest to them (rank I don't have, btw) and i think a vet would feel glad to know that some of his junior generation do remember their deeds and sacrifices - and as I always say, looking at the crazy world today, I think many of them must lament and wonder "what was it all for ?!" ... so a great A2 with accurate insignia, worn by an interested person who remembers too ...well, that must be comforting, I would have thought.
Enjoy your flight Armscye. I'm very envious of you too! Take as many photos and as much film as you can and take an extra battery and memory card!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo