Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Review - Harley Davidson Basic Skins - 2001

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So this could be an unusual jacket review for this forum. It's my first attempt to give a review of a consumer product in any semi-formal manner. This product may not be to everyone's liking since it's attributed to a motorcycle company and is the assemetic/Buco/Perfecto design. However it's sure been a jacket I have enjoyed owning since brand new in 2001. Just so it's clear I don't want to sell it, I'll just give a story about owning this jacket. So here goes...

IMG_3813.JPG This Basic Skins jacket from 2001 was among the last Harley Branded jackets that was still made in USA, however of imported cowhide of unknown origin. As photos indicate, this is also one of the few newer HD jackets not covered with all kinds of patches, flames, or even "Harley Davidson" written all over it. It does have a small nickel label under the left hand warmer pocket and the snaps also have the name on them.

I was also drawn to this jacket by the simplified Perfecto style - no belt, no smaller snap-closure pocket, just a simple and timeless style along with thick, good quality cowhide with a satin lining. I had realized by this point that poly-filled or "thinsulate lined" jackets generally kept me too warm unless the lining was removable, so finding this jacket "un-lined" was great in my book. The best part: Price. In 2001 this was HD's least-expensive jacket at $235.00 list price. I actually found this one on clearance at $125.00 and picked it up at once, I had tried on several in stores before finding this one.
IMG_3817.JPG This tag shows the Basic Skins' manufacture location, and the size of the jacket. This is one point I do slightly regret with this jacket, if I were doing it all again, I would have bought a Large instead of an XL, the L runs around 44L, this XL is closer to a 46L or even a 48. But in those days I wasn't used to a slimmer fitting jacket, and I was always taught to "allow room for layers." :)

Also of note even in early 2001 most Harley leathers were already being produced in Aisa, and those all had higher prices thant this jacket.

Now to the real review, at least in my mind. This cowhide, while initally quite firm and stiff, softened up quickly with use, and developed very unique grain and patina over the literally hundreds of hours I've worn it since that time.
IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG While this leather does not tend to "bunch up" on the arms the way CXL steer and horse tend to, it's developed a unique character that I have really enjoyed. The leather itself tends to adjust well to your body temperature as you wear it, so it never really feels too warm or too cold unless you are in a extremely cold or hot day. For riding purposes, this jacket lacks both ventallation areas as well as pockets for armour. For a traditional rider, it could make sense to wear this jacket, I found I wore it more off the bike than on, I prefer pads + leather on a motorcycle.

I find the sleeves on this jacket ride a bit far out onto my hands however this is also typical of a motorcycle jacket. The sides lack any type of adjustment for fit, and if I were designing this jacket I would have upped the price $10 and included something.
IMG_3820.JPG As can be seen here the back does feature small action back panels near the sleeves, this jacket gives good freedom of motion, especially once broken in. Also the back panel is mostly a one piece design, the false kidney "belt" being more a styling feature on this jacket. As a side note, I owned for a year a late 60's AMF-Harley Perfecto style jacket with both a full belt and a hard leather kidney belt area. It actually supported your back while seated. I truley wish I had not sold it as I did last spring.

So in summary, I would reccommed one of these Basic Skins jacket to you if:
-You really like the Perfecto Style but don't like the belt
-You are a Harley Davidson enthusiast who apprciates Made in USA jackets
-You would like a Perfecto with no insulation and for a lower cost
-You want to hang onto a jacket such as this as a *possible* vintage collectors piece
-You run across one in a consignment or resale shop

I don't reccommend this jacket to you if:
-You need good ventallation while riding a motorcycle
-You are used to lambskin jackets and don't want to break something in
-You plan to wear your jacket to a formal, professional office setting often
-You live in Antartica and are trying to stay warm :)

I hope this is helpful and I welcome any feedback you all may have.

Mark

Practically Family
I enjoyed your review of this jacket. I am a Harley rider and have often looked at the leathers in my local HD store but as you mentioned they all (and I mean all) seem covered in HD logos and/or silly skulls and flames, a real put-off for me. If I came across a nice, simple design like your jacket I would snap it up. Thanks for the review.

I'll second Mark's sentiment above. It's always nice to see these type of HD jackets that are closer to the roots of the cycle champ... Before Willie got frisky with the designs. Nice write up Randy. And it's actually getting warm enough to ride in the mid west now!

image.jpeg
Yep, agreed good jacket but don't see these simpler jackets too often in the dealerships anymore. I always look though. I have to say my daughter got this one a few years ago with thick leather (Steer) and well made. It does have an HD winged patch on the back kidney pad but it isn't obnoxious.

Nancy%20on%20Stratton_zpsi4olw7ex.jpg
I hope my daughter is one day cool enough to rock a leather like that! I'm trying to start her down the right path!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
View attachment 48340
I hope my daughter is one day cool enough to rock a leather like that! I'm trying to start her down the right path!

Oh your daughter is rockin Ton!!! She's a cutie!

Our daughter started out with a Highwayman that Ken made for her in the early 2000's in mid-weight horse. She's real particular about her jackets too but now she's in the Coast Guard and doing all the "Life" things associated with the military. "Semper Paratus"

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks you guys, I really apprecaite it. And Tony your daughter is very fortuante to have you there in so many ways! also good to see your daughter Oneterrifichog in the millitary. Again tell her thanks for her service along with all those here we do currently or have served in the millitary.

scottso1962

New in Town
Great review! Just got this same jacket off ebay, and wanted more info, which you provided. I recently started looking for a motorcycle jacket, having long outgrown my original Schott 613 from 1982. I did not want the belt, buckle, etc. This provided a cleaner version, but still projecting the 'attitude'. New to the fedora lounge, first post.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sure glad this helped out, welcome to FL!! Fee fee to ask questions, however be advised that you may acquire many more jackets if you hang around here very long.... :)

IXL

One Too Many
Good write up!
My experience with a Perfecto style jacket has been a bit different, though. I have found the lancer front to be one of the best-venting designs around. Worn with the lapels snapped down, the front scoops a good bit of air: with the front unzipped even more, the front allows tremendous airflow, and without ballooning or flapping around. Unzipping the cuffs will allow air to whiz right up the arms.
With the front fully zipped, virtually all wind is blocked from chilling the rider when the temps drop. The ability of this jacket style to adapt to a wide variance of weather while keeping the wearer comfortable when cutting through the breeze is, in my mind, why it is still produced and worn after about a hundred years after it's introduction.
My favorite of the several in this style I own, is the Vanson CHP.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear this IXL, I haven't gotten to try this style on a bike, sold my Nighthawk 650 about 4 years back. So while I did own it, I used a Joe Rocket jacket with agressive pads. I actually have a brand-new Vanson Highwayman that is literally stiffer than a piece of plywood, so one I get back on a bike and get that broken in, I can't wait to check it out too.

Peacoat

Bartender
Our daughter started out with a Highwayman that Ken made for her in the early 2000's in mid-weight horse. She's real particular about her jackets too but now she's in the Coast Guard and doing all the "Life" things associated with the military. "Semper Paratus"
Good for her. She is cute. For those of you West Bankers out there, Duty, Honor, Country.

scottso1962

New in Town
Sure glad this helped out, welcome to FL!! Fee fee to ask questions, however be advised that you may acquire many more jackets if you hang around here very long.... :)
I was wondering if the HD Basic Skins is full grain, what the weight and thickness is, and if it is drum dyed, semi-aniline. Really appreciate the info.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Good write up!
My experience with a Perfecto style jacket has been a bit different, though. I have found the lancer front to be one of the best-venting designs around. Worn with the lapels snapped down, the front scoops a good bit of air: with the front unzipped even more, the front allows tremendous airflow, and without ballooning or flapping around. Unzipping the cuffs will allow air to whiz right up the arms.
With the front fully zipped, virtually all wind is blocked from chilling the rider when the temps drop. The ability of this jacket style to adapt to a wide variance of weather while keeping the wearer comfortable when cutting through the breeze is, in my mind, why it is still produced and worn after about a hundred years after it's introduction.
My favorite of the several in this style I own, is the Vanson CHP.
The problem is that an unzipped jacket will also scoop up gravel and may come fully undone in a spill, failing to protect the wearer as it ought to.

Great write up. My BIG gripe with H-D and Indian (and Triumph, et al) is their crappy gear. Your jacket looks pretty decent, but let's get real - all of these makers COULD have amazing jackets made for them with their logos, etc. by good companies for jacket and bike lovers alike. I think that they all just assume a crappy jacket with a logo is good enough, and sadly, it appears to be true. I think there's real money to be made by these cats if they offered up some middle to top shelf items which sadly, they don't.
Chaps my hide, as my old man used to say...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Kicking this thread back up again due to some folks coming on here and asking about jackets at a more affordable price range. Many times people think "Harley Davidson" jackets and the first thing they think of is a sea of orange, skulls, flames and logos stretched all over the arms, shoulders, back & front of thier jackets. It was not always this way. As the review of the "1990's" Basic Skins showed, they have offered models that are tasetful, simple and effective. Some of which were even still made in USA.

I set out looking for simple crosszips and Cafe Racers on ebay here. I stopped after 2 pages, so these are all in the first few on ebay currently.

My "XL" Basic Skins was sold a year or two back, but I saw a few others out on ebay that might fit the bill for folks looking for a nice, simple, durable Leather jacket with a simple motorcycle vibe:

Here up first is a Size Large Cafe Racer -- 4 pocket design" Basic Rider"
upload_2021-10-8_13-44-9.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203638581112?hash=item2f69ce2778:g:TvkAAOSwNitgjZHA

Looks like a Size 42 from maybe Late '80's with a unique belt/kidney panel design. Made in Korea, quilt lining

upload_2021-10-8_13-47-24.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234189084092

Here is a New Old Stock HD Basic Skins Jacket, the same as I bought in 2001. This one still has tags attached, hard to believe it's still never been worn, Size XL (these run large) and $269 w/ offer:

upload_2021-10-8_13-50-15.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185095708867?

Here is a nice condition Basic Skins Size Large in Florida, $229 w/offer

upload_2021-10-8_13-52-27.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265325028982?hash=item3dc69aa676:g:10cAAOSwmHBhEF06

Hope these help someone out!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
this leather looking new forever, seems like all these jackets are without creases being from the 90s, I think it is a very good thing for people who like their leather jacket to look more or less pristine after all the years of use. I bet majority of people who seek leather jackets are like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails