Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket reviews: just my impressions

pak

One of the Regulars
First of all I do wish I had found this site earlier as there is a wealth of information. I would like to post my impressions of the jackets I have owned, perhaps someone may benefit. I have owned 3 leather flight jackets: a circa 1950 G1, 90s Cooper A2 goatskin and a 2010 US Wings Signature series A2 Horsehide:

G1:This jacket was the real deal. The goatskin was thick and heavy and seemed about the same weight hide as my current Wings A2 horsehide. Workmanship on the jacket was the best. I did however give this to a friend as it had a bi-swing back which made the jacket seem heavy. Also, I'm not much for a bi-swing in any jacket
Cooper A2 goatskin: I bought this jacket in the early 90s. It weighs right at 2.5lbs. The leather and workmanship are good. I've been wearing this jacket on a regular basis around 5-6 months a year since I got it(here in Alaska that is about all you will get to wear a jacket like this per year). I am not a real stickler for an absolute replica so this jacket is fine if your parameters are 'reasonably close" as mine are. The size is 44R and is best for me with a t shirt. The sleeves are not oversized and the cuffs just recently need replacing. This is a very good choice for a first jacket or one that is an everyday jacket. It also is dressy enough that it will dress up casual attire. These jackets are often discounted when measured against higher end jackets, but stand alone, I think they are fine. This jacket sold me on goatskin, it still creaks when I move around.
US Wings A2 signature Horse: This is my first horse and I like it more everyday. This also is in the catagory of reasonable replica with the most notable difference being the pocket flaps. This jacket weighs 4.5lbs and the workmanship is good, I was told Schott makes these. This jacket draws many favorable comments. It is sized 42R and it will allow me to wear a sweater under it so I can wear it more here. The sleeves are cut more full than the Cooper. This jacket wears lighter more and more as it breaks in.
Summary: If I could find an A2 with the G1's weight goatskin I would get one. Sizing seems to be the target that is constantly moving. I needed to send the Wings jacket back for another size and from Alaska this will add an additional $100.00 for shipping and insurance. The next coat I buy I will either go to the factory or retail store. Customer service at Wings was very helpful, although I did get a curt e-mail reply from Hack when I mentioned the pocket flap shape. Despite that, I do like the jacket. I think the sizing is very inconsistant from one company to another and is due to the patterns they use. Also, the fighter pilots in WW2 were not very big guys in order to fit into the tight cockpits of their fighters. Moderator, if this is too long or out of line please feel free to deleat.
Pete

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge. Thanks for the reviews.

It will probably start to cool down up there in a few weeks, and it will be lightweight jacket time. For us here in Tennessee, it won't be until the end of September, at the earliest.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
What brand/maker was the G1...nice review ....I have had a Cooper and still have the US Wings HH....still like my US Authentic HH the best...real character...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner