Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Sizing Advice

LAman

New in Town
Brand new to the forum and posting for the first time. I’m hoping I can tap into the expertise of everyone regarding a sizing issue. I recently started looking into buying a cafe racer jacket. Fortunately, I stumbled across this lounge and have gotten quite an education on jackets, leather, etc. (the knowledge level here is pretty unbelievable!) So now I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I want, but I have a sizing issue I was hoping to get input on.

I am tough to size in suits and jackets because I’m wide around the shoulders and have a relatively small waist. I wear a 48” or XL jacket normally, but my pants waist size is 34”. My normal jackets are always wide through my waist, but for most jackets it doesn’t matter much. With the CR jacket, I want to get the fit right. Relatively slim-fitting throughout, which means I need it to taper quite a bit. Most of the companies (Aero, etc.) can make some customizations to sizes, but I’m not sure if that will be enough to make the jacket fit right on me (e.g. I don’t want the body to fit too loose). I’m expecting the jacket to cost $1000+ so I’m hesitant to order online, have them do the modest taper, then receive a “custom” jacket that is still too big through the body. For a size 48”, most can taper to a 42”-43” through the bottom hem. My measurement at the middle of my stomach is 38”, so I’m thinking this taper will still be pretty loose?

Langlitz and Cal-Leathers do custom sizing so that is probably the safest bet sizing-wise. But they are limited on their leather options (no HH, etc.) plus both tend to make heavy jackets. I do ride, but I’ll wear the jacket off the bike 90% of the time. And I live in Los Angeles, where it doesn’t get very cold.

So I wanted to get any thoughts on the best way to approach the sizing issue so that the CR jacket fits well throughout. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge LAman!
I too recommend Thurston Brothers and the fit jacket process. Carrie at Thurston has sold thousands of Aero jackets by now and I'm sure that she has helped someone with a physique just like yours get the fit they are after.

LAman

New in Town
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give Thurston Brothers a try. At the least, a fit jacket will let me know how far off I am in the waist/body. With the natural taper of this style, maybe it will be a lot closer than I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran