Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Overcoat

classyguy

Familiar Face
Hello,

I am looking for a trench style overcoat like the one James Dean often wore. I know his had an eight button closure and two sets of double buttons on the bands at the wrists but did it have a belt? In all of the pictures I cannot see one.

Any help in finding one would be great.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
this one?

JD1.jpg

looks like a pea coat to me...

Hi classyguy
James Dean and I are from the same hometown. I remember him wearing a doublebreasted long navyblue overcoat( like pic SamMarlowePI posted)...with no belt,when he came home(not a traditional P-coat). He also wore a long beltless grey..or brown tweed or herringbone overcoat as well. Often with an Ivy League or new's boy cap(or whatever they're called).
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
HD: Wow, I'll bet that caused quite a stir! I'm too young to remember James Dean as he was happening, but got interested in him in the mid 60's when I first saw "Rebel Without A Cause."

The coat you are describing and the picture that is posted by Sam Marlowe, seem to be something similar to an officer's bridge coat, which is a longer and lighter version of the enlisted peacoat. What is throwing me off, though, is the treatment of the sleeves; a bridge coat has unadorned sleeves, just like the peacoat.

Thanks for the James Dean information.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
classyguy said:
Hello,

I am looking for a trench style overcoat like the one James Dean often wore. I know his had an eight button closure and two sets of double buttons on the bands at the wrists but did it have a belt? In all of the pictures I cannot see one.

Any help in finding one would be great.
Have you tried Ebay?

classyguy

Familiar Face
HD, I will be going to Fairmount, IN this summer to see the museum and all the Dean sights. . .its pretty cool you were actually there and could recall the actual coat in question! I will continue to look for the coat but its hard to find any overcoats in my size (36). If I don't find one I guess ill have to go the custom route.

Thanks for the help.

Hi classyguy
There are a few old local relics in Fairmount on the "not to miss list". As you probably know...the James Dean Festival is the last full weekend in September. A huge car show at the local park....and downtown Fairmount transforms into a carnival atmosphere(James Dean Contest..sat. night). Two museums have snapshots of Dean(some wearing his overcoat). I have personal family photos of Dean...but alas..none in his,evidently,favorite overcoat
If there is interest..I could post pics of these Fairmount sites taken last summer.
HD

classyguy

Familiar Face
Sure I would love to see pictures from the festival...I would probably be going down in July before the festival, cant seem to make it for september. What is the second museum: I know of the Fairmount Museum, what is the other?

Its dissapointing that the James Dean Gallery is no longer around...that would have been fun to see.

Thanks.

classyguy said:
Sure I would love to see pictures from the festival...I would probably be going down in July before the festival, cant seem to make it for september. What is the second museum: I know of the Fairmount Museum, what is the other?

Its dissapointing that the James Dean Gallery is no longer around...that would have been fun to see.

Thanks.

classyguy
As far as I know..the James Dean Gallery is still in operation on N. Main street in Fairmount(the old Funeral home)...although a new one was to be built outside of Fairmount. For me...the Fairmount Museum is the one I prefer of the two...since it also has some Fairmount history included. All the Fairmount Grad pics(including mine!)...but prob not much of interest to non Fairmount High alumni.
The pics of Fairmount that I have are not of the festival...just a motorcycle trip to Fairmount last summer(20 mi. from where I now live)...finally taking some pics of points of interest.

100_0336.jpg

Looking south down Main Street...
100_0353.jpg

The old Fairmount High School...
100_0350.jpg

The James Dean Gallery Museum on north Main Street....
100_0346.jpg

Fairmount Museum on West Washington Street
(Across the street is the Giant Tavern..that has the best breaded tenderloins in Indiana...on weekdays with daytime cook)
100_0347.jpg

Old Indian Dealership...outside of Fairmount going North toward cemetary...
100_0342.jpg

Winslow Farm...Where James Dean was raised..North of fairmount near cemetary...
100_0343.jpg

JD's headstone...Park Cemetary..North of Fairmount....
100_0339.jpg

HD

classyguy

Familiar Face
Thank you very much...I cannot wait to see everything in person in a couple months.

Do you know if the old funeral home is where the photos were taken of him playing in a casket?

Thanks.

classyguy said:
Thank you very much...I cannot wait to see everything in person in a couple months.

Do you know if the old funeral home is where the photos were taken of him playing in a casket?

Thanks.

classyguy
The photos of him playing around in a casket are at the Fairmount Museum.
I've only been to the James Dean Gallery(at the old funeral home)museum once...when it first opened years ago...but he could have similar photos there as well.
BTW..I just found out(as you mentioned) that the NEW James Dean Gallery was built just off I-69 about 12 or so miles from Fairmount..but closed in 2004. I never visited that Gallery....and was informed that it was too far away from Fairmount...therefore one reason it finally went broke and closed. The old "James Dean Gallery"(in the old funeral home) is now the Rebel Rebel Gift Shop. I thought it was still a museum. Perhaps I can stop in and check it out before your trip to Fairmount.
HD

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I can tell you exctly what that coat is. When I first saw the pic, I had a hunch, then I saw the other pic then looked closely at the cuff.

It is a navy officers overcoat. Not at all pea coat type fabric. It is a heavy gaberdine or twill. It is the same fabric as a typical rain coat type overcoat o the era, but in black. It is double breated with eight buttons, belted, and has a two inch wide tab on the sleeve that has two button holes. There are four buttons on the cuff so that it can be normal, or cinched tight. What you see is the four buttons. grat looking coat on him. I am holding one in front of me that has sat in my closet, then in my to sell box for a while. It never looked quite right on me. I always tried to wear it with a suit and fedora like I would a normal overcoat. I think my mistake was not wearing it more casually like Dean.

Just tried it on. Looks great over a sweater and more casually. I think I will wear it for a week or so and see if it suits me.

If you are a 36-38, as in, on the bigger size of 36 and you want to wear it over a suit coat, jacket or heavy sweater it might fit you. If you are more on the slight side of 36 and shorter, then it might be too big. I will ship it for $35 if I decide it isn't something I would wear much.

If interested, let me know. I can give you measurements.

not sure if they would be commonly available at a surplus store. I don't know when or if they stopped wearing them.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good discussion of James Dean and his coat. Hoosier, thanks for the pictures of Fairmont. Raised my interest to the point of seeing how far Fairmont is from Tennessee. Looks like a nice weekend bike trip.

Peacoat said:
Good discussion of James Dean and his coat. Hoosier, thanks for the pictures of Fairmont. Raised my interest to the point of seeing how far Fairmont is from Tennessee. Looks like a nice weekend bike trip.

Peacoat
Ha! A trip to Fairmount should be for the diehard James Dean fan...for sure!
Otherwize...it is a sleepy little small town in the heart of flat Indiana backroad farm country. Up here..I most often tend to point my two wheels south toward Tennessee.......:D
HD

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
classyguy said:
Reetpleat

Is this the coat you have:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130189615066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

I found this on ebay but was too late to bid.

I'm not sure if yours would fit me seeing as im a 30 waist and only 5'4" but maybe another one will come on ebay now that I know what im looking for.

You might try to shoot an e-mail over the he buyer or ask the seller to forward one. If it doesn't fit or he doesn't like it, I am sure he would like to have a buyer lined up. Even if you paid his shipping plyus costs, you would still be into it for only thirty or forty shipped to Canada.

That is it. It probably would be a perfect fit if the sizing is right. I am only five four too, and at one time I had a 30 1/2 waist, but that was when I was really lean. Even then, I was still pretty broad chested. I think a 36 would be right for you.

Looks like you won't have to pay much.

I can shoot an e-mail to my friend Roberto, "cityvintage" on e-bay. I know he picks them up when he finds them. Probably easier to find in the us than in Canada. but you might try some vintage or thrift stores and surplus stores. Or maybe some surplus dealers on line. I can't be 100% sure, but I am sure you will agree taht that coat looks prety right. Even the cuffs.

If I sell mine on e-bay, I will market as a james dean style overcoat. Maybe I will get a much better price for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner