Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese earthquake

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I just wanted to wish our Japanese members all the best and hope they are OK after the horrendous earthquake and tsunami which hit just over an hour ago.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
The worst rocker in the past 150 years.
Long pitching and rolling for what seemed to go on for several minutes, though probably 2-3 minutes at most.
Our staff was very quick and efficient in securing all the emergency exits and in calming our patients. A TV in a lobby fell, as did a shelf in one of the nurse stations, but other than that, we were fine.

3 consecutive quakes within half an hour, actually. The first two were within a few minutes of each other, so it was like one consecutive quake that lasted what seemed like 4-5 minutes. Then another one several minutes later. Getting some strong aftershocks even now.

Tsunami over 10-12' along the northern coastline, and warnings along all the coast including Okinawa. Already extensive flooding, and some fires, building damages in cities closer to the coast and the epicenter than us in Tokyo, and a fire in at an oil refinery. Though, at a glance, the damages to buildings do not seem as bad as with the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) quake. The fault line of the Kobe quake was directly underneath, whereas with this one, the epicenter looks like it's 40-50 or so miles off the coast.
Several casualities have been reported, though it's too early for the final count.

Land phone lines are intact, but voice cell phone contact is out, though texting is good.
Electricity it out in many areas (fortunately, we're good.)
Elevators stopped, trains and highways stopped, traffic jam in the streets etc etc, which means I can't read the time what the usual 30 minute drive home is going to take. Both my husband and our younger daughter work within a on hour walk from our home, but our elder daughter works mid city, about 12 miles from home. She maybe stuck overnight at her workplace.

Damages to buildings in Tokyo seem to be sporadic, but I dread going home and opening the door--quite the possibility of having to clean up stuff that had ended up thrown around. :confused: Ouch

daizawaguy, I hope you're okay. Thinking that maybe you are stuck in your office, since it was just announced that the trains will be stopped for the rest of today.

I am booting out now, and head home.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear you are OK LaMedicine.

My family back home in NZ survived the Christchurch earthquake, although their lives are turned upside down now so I know what you're going through.

Look after yourself, the shock hit my sister a week after their quake (after narrowly being crushed in her office block) so you'll have some tough days ahead.

All the very best and we're thinking of you down this way. Japan was so kind in sending search and rescue crews for the Christchurch earthquake and I am sure NZ will be repaying the favour.

All the very best in these tough times.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Many thanks! I work on the 39 floor and it was scary. People were hanging on to the walls to keep upright...I got out the building, but took an hour. Went back briefly before heading home...everyone was on the streets and walking home - no taxis or busses were moving - stuck in traffic jams. Took me 3 hours but back. Little damage here, but taken precautions - car full of gas and parked outside (winter here), food, and money, water etc in a bag...not going to sleep well tonight. Many small aftershocks. Many thanks everyone...great community...I appreciate it! Cheers

(Bartender Note: I copied this from another thread. Trying to keep everyone informed - scotrace)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear you two are both alright. Best wishes and prayers for you both and the rest of the people of Japan.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I hear the tsunami hit Hawai'i too, I hope no damages there.
It has turned out that the waves were much higher than first forecast, so, up to 24-30'. It seems that a lot of the analysers are broken at the moment because the waves were much higher than the set limit for the instruments. The water traveled over 6 miles inland in some places.

An 11 mile drive took me 3 1/2 hours to get home. Most of the trains have started moving again, so our older gal was able to catch a train after walking about 3 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner