Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Salv

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Never wash them?
Funny, Salv, when I met you in NY you didn't look at all like a dirtbag. :)
Does one dry clean them? Sponge wash? Scrape them with a putty knife?

I myself have a couple pair of Carhartts. However, I'm told they just look gangsta, not vintage. What am I missing?

I'm almost ashamed to admit that the second pair of 1933 LVCs that I posted above didn't see the inside of a washing machine for the first two years. If they started to get a bit musty I'd leave them hanging outside on the line for a day so they'd get a good airing, and I steam cleaned them a couple of times. But the results were, I think, worth the occasional gagging noise from the family...

Are you wearing the Carhartt's hanging off your backside with your Calvin's showing? That may be your problem :D

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Presumably you're a strict constructionist as regards gender roles, Fats...what if this Scott guy turned out to be a particularly noxious transvestite? :rolleyes:

I suppose the original reference could have gone either way! :p

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
What is that other website where somebody has collected snapshot photos and has them available on the web? I can't remember what it is now.

Ah, it just hit me. www.squareamerica.com

Here's one photo I found on that site that shows a guy with buttons for suspenders on his britches (though not wearing the suspenders). Check out the cowboy cuffs!
po24.jpg

Even I don't roll up my pants cuffs that much!

Edward

Bartender
Viola said:
I think suspenders, on a man, can be very attractive.

-Viola

I guess it comes back to "two nations, separated by a common language" (was that Shaw or Wilde? Can never remember...). This means something quite else over here...... of course, I know a lot of ladies in Rocky Horror world who would agree entirely. ;)

Edited to add, back on topic:

Has anyone got an experience with Prison Blues jeans? They look good in the photos I've been seeing - I can get them cut to an original 50s pattern here for GBP50 (USD 100). That's a fair bit cheaper than the Levis RIs I've seen (which are closer GBP100 - the full on RIs, I mean - though the regular Type 1s I've seen are nice). I read great things abouyt the durabiltiy of PBs all over the web - if they're as good as reputation suggests, they worth the GBP15 more than other jeans... If you want something earlier than a 50s cut, though, you're out of luck there. TBH, I can't really tell a great difference between what I've seen of 30s through 50s jeans - though I'm sure it's screamingly obvious to an expert - other than that they became it seems a much more regular clothing item into the 50s.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
That dude in the photo has mighty short legs!

I know Rooster crows about Prison Blues jeans. Get it? crows? lol
As long as I think it's funny, that's all that matters.;)

bombchanelno.5

New in Town
I purchased a pair of Levi's about 2 months ago that were "vintage cut" and even had orange paint on the button to look like rust.
Have any of you gals seen these?
Crazy!

Edward

Bartender
Fatdutchman said:
That dude in the photo has mighty short legs!

I know Rooster crows about Prison Blues jeans. Get it? crows? lol
As long as I think it's funny, that's all that matters.;)

Boom! Boom!

(uh..... I guess that makes no sense if you don't get Basil Brush over there??)

lol

Jovan

Suspended
Show us your denim!

I recently found a pair for $15 on sale at the Gap. Yes, I know, it's unthinkable and bad that I knowingly bought something modern. ;) I was going to get Levi's 501s raw, but I saw these for a pretty good asking price. I hear the rise isn't very high on modern 501s anyway. Will post pictures later. I suggest running and getting some while they're on sale, for anyone who's interested.

Now, show us your vintage, selvage, or otherwise classy denim! Just so you know, it can also be jackets, etc. and not just jeans.

(Bartenders: Feel free to merge or remove this topic post if there's a previous thread exactly like it. The search function can be pretty unhelpful, to say the least. :mad:)

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks. My thread is mainly supposed to be the equivalent of "Show us your suits!" There's hardly any personal pictures in that thread, mainly discussion. I'd just really like for people to be shown a wide variety of examples of how well made jeans look and fit.

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks. :) They're only $15 at Gap right now... get 'em while you can!

I feel it worth mentioning that Elaina pointed me to Gap as a good maker of jeans... thanks Elaina!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy