Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Denim tranny admission...

I'm coming out...la, la la la.

I admit that my favourite jeans to wear are a pair of post-war women's Levi's 701s. They are in slightly lighter denim than the 201s and 501s and have (don't tell anyone...) a pink selvedge, but the fit on me is perfect and I don't care. The arcuate detail is painted on, like the '44s. And black donut buttons. The waist is higher than on the men's jeans and the cut is just great. I've seen photos of them before, but mine is the only pair I have ever seen 'in the flesh', so to speak.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Congrats, Alan.

B
T

Is that on the jeans or the admission?lol

BTW, let us not forget that 'denim' includes jackets as well as jeans and dungarees. I like to acquire 'suits' - matching vintage jackets and jeans. Makes it more fun, somehow. I had a little 'hole' in my Levi's range in the form of a wartime 506XX jacket to go with the '44 jeans I have, but that's just been plugged.

Alan

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!!!

BuddyJ said:
Then off to Quail Springs I go! Thanks for the heads up. Good to see another OKC person here.

Indeed, it is nice to see another Okie on the Lounge. After finding the Fedora Lounge and getting a crash course in Golden Era style, I now realize that we actually have tons of places to pick up good vintage here in OKC.

Jovan

Suspended
Alan Eardley said:
Is that on the jeans or the admission?lol

BTW, let us not forget that 'denim' includes jackets as well as jeans and dungarees. I like to acquire 'suits' - matching vintage jackets and jeans. Makes it more fun, somehow. I had a little 'hole' in my Levi's range in the form of a wartime 506XX jacket to go with the '44 jeans I have, but that's just been plugged.

Alan
Please, do show any denim jackets you have.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Please, do show any denim jackets you have.

Jovan,

Sorry, I don't have the means to post photographs. My newest camera is from 1938 and the 120 and 127 film is just so hard to get now. I have to save it for really important subjects.

In any case, being a 1940s-born working class Briton, I have an inherent dislike of 'showing off' my possessions in public. Apologies - for this, it's just the way I was brought up.

You can see a good range of vintage denim jackets (particularly Wranglers, for which I have an especial fondness) on the vintagemotorcyclejackets.com website to which Baron Kurtz has alrady referred.

Alan

Salv

One Too Many
A couple of Lee repro jackets...

Two Lee Loco repros, the first a mid-1990s Lee Europe jacket, bought in a branch of high street chain Top Man. I would have preferred it unwashed, but it was the first Loco - original or repro - I'd ever got my hands on. The second is a US Lee jacket with a blanket lining - something about the lining says 1970s to me, but I have no real idea how old it is.

Loco 1:
DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0468.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

Loco 2:
DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Salv said:
Thanks Alan, so the second one won't be older than the 1970s then.

Salv,

Not if the sources that quote that date are correct. The lining can be confusing. I have been told by one who I trust that one of the ways to date Lee's 'Rider' jackets is the blanket stripes. The early ones are horizontal, the later ones vertical and the change is generally held to have taken place in the 60s. That would seem to indicate that your 'second' jacket could be from that period. However, I think the change of trade mark (which is well documented and, I think, can be trusted) is the more reliable indicator. I don't see any reason why Lee would have changed the direction of the lining both jackets at the same time. So, after 1970, I think.

Hey! It's still a great jacket. I love those chore jackets. The great thing about them is that they haven't changed much since the 1930s.

Alan

Jovan

Suspended
That's a real work jacket right there. Different from all the casual, unlined denim jackets now. (Not that I have anything against them, they're just not for me.)

Salv

One Too Many
There are a few of those Lee Locos on eBay at the moment - search for vintage lee jacket and scroll down a little. There's also a very, very nice Lee Chetopa twill jacket with some fantastic chain-stitched embroidery on the back for Ed's Husky Service of East Helena, Montana, but it's too small for me.

Salv

One Too Many
A Lee and a Wrangler repro...

First up is a version of the Lee 191-LB, with a red padded nylon lining rather than a blanket lining. The 191-LB was, I think, a 1970s version of the Lee 91-B, which was originally from 1929, and came unlined with a denim collar. My version is probably from the 1980s, and has Talon zips and plastic buttons as per the 1929 original. This is a short, waist length jacket.

Next is a new European repro of the late 50s, single pleat, dot tack Wrangler 111MJ.

Lee:

Lee191front.jpg

Lee191back.jpg

Lee191pocketzip.jpg

Lee191zip.jpg

Lee191waist.jpg

Wrangler:

Wrangler111MJ.jpg

Wranglerbutton.jpg

Repro Guy

New in Town
Gents!

Long time no post - great topic on my favourite topic - vintage jeans!

Wow - there's been some great pics in this thread.

I'm looking to get hold of a Type 3 jacket LVC, XXL - did these ever exist in this size?

My "problem" (well, not a problem) is my height - 6 -5, so have trouble finding vintage repro jeans in my size (36 x 36 washed / 38 x 40 dry) and then the same thing with sleeve lengths on denim jackets and shirts.

If anyone has the LVC 201s from the 1990s in a 38 x 40 worn or new - LET ME KNOW! (pm me)

Also, some recommendations on whehter I will ever be able to find a 27mw wrangler vintage shirt in a 'tall size'?

thanks

Salv

One Too Many
Another Lee jacket

I'm not sure about this one, whether it's a repro of an old design, or a new design in a retro style. I haven't been able to find any photos of an old version of this one, so can anyone confirm its pedigree? It's a Lee Europe (from their Gold Label range), double-pleated, raw denim 101J, bought at a Lee outlet shop in Clarks Shopping Village in Street, Somerset, for the bargain price of £25.00, reduced from £105.00 and originally sold in the Lee shop in Carnaby Street:

101Jfront.JPG
101Jrear.JPG

101Jsleeve.JPG
101Jbutton.JPG

101Jpocket.JPG
101Jlabel.JPG

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Hi Salv, that isn't based on a specific Lee jacket tho they obviously borrowed the unique pocket shape and pleats from the single-pocket Cowboy models.

Salv

One Too Many
Thanks Mud - I half suspected it wasn't an old design, since I couldn't find it pictured anywhere. The Lee Europe website http://eu.lee.com/ has a good timeline with photos of original jeans and jackets, and it wasn't on there, although originals of the Lee repros I posted above are there.

RetroRich

New in Town
Wrangler Jacket

I have exactly the same Wrangler jacket.Brand new,purchased for the princely sum of £10 Clarks Village in Somerset.Together with an amazing Lee rigid denim shirt,with the slogan 'Hoofs and Horns' emblazened across the back in gold stitching.Another £10 well spent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner